Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

llandudnolover
Beginner

Juke box hire

llandudnolover, 7 of November of 2011 at 20:27 Posted on Planning 0 19

Hi all. Opinions wanted please. We're thinking of hiring a juke box for our evening reception instead of a dj. The price is about the same but obviously it gives our guests more control over the music and stops a cheesy dj talking over the tracks! Has anyone been to a wedding where they have done this? What would you think if you went to a wedding with a juke box- cool or tacky?

19 replies

Latest activity by lil_2014, 13 of November of 2013 at 14:04
  • tinkerbelly1983
    Beginner October 2011
    tinkerbelly1983 ·
    • Hide content

Hi we had a jukebox at our wedding and i say 100% go for it! we loved it, our guests loved it, it rocked our party all night and looked amazing! it will go down a storm, no doubts about that!

• quackers
    Beginner August 2013
    quackers ·
    • Hide content

I like the idea!!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Although not a wedding, I organised a University ball around 3 years ago and we had a Juke Box in favour of a DJ- it was absolutely brilliant. It was a big, huge beautiful thing and created such a lot of discussion & interaction between guests. Everyone wanted a go at selecting a track and the changing colours as it played really livened up the room.

I'd say go for it, it will be a lovely addition!

• **Shelley**
    Beginner October 2012
    **Shelley** ·
    • Hide content

My sister had one at hers earlier this year and it was very successful! It looked really good all lit up in the corner and sounded really good! Certainly a great alternative to a DJ.

X

• M
    Beginner April 2012
    marrygirls ·
    • Hide content

Everyone wanted a go at selecting a track and the changing colours as it played really livened up the room.

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

Have a read of this article as it puts another slant on the debate....

http://www.weddingdjalliance.co.uk/wedding_dj_or_jukebox.php

• llandudnolover
    Beginner
    llandudnolover ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do you mind me asking - who did you hire with and how did it work? Did you give them a basic play list to start with which the guests added to or did you have to select all the songs at the wedding?

• Christmas Bride 2012
    Christmas Bride 2012 ·
    • Hide content

Awwww fab idea !!!! We have a Juke Box in our dining room . Unfortunatly as pretty as it looks it isnt an original and plays CDS and now the sounds going on it too but it is a fab talking point at partys and people really love it !! I would say you could have borrowed ours should it have worked ! xx

We are having a live band and then having the Speakers and light up bit for the rest of the time without the DJ , all they do is talk through the music half the time imo so we thought we would just do that instead.

hope you find what youer looking for. xx

• saspip
    Beginner May 2012
    saspip ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're thinking of having one too - I've been to too many weddings where the DJ has talked too much over the music which makes me cringe. Tinkerbelly, did you have a lighting system at your venue? The one thing that worries me is that there won't be that 'dance floor' atmosphere without a DJ...

• Christmas Bride 2012
    Christmas Bride 2012 ·
    • Hide content

I think they would be a dance floor atmosphere , there are loads of pubs when you go out that have music or juke boxes and people get up . I do feel some (not all ) DJs do go on a bit and like you say are a little cringy . Jukeboxes are cool and look brilliant xx

• green-claws-entertainment
    green-claws-entertainment ·
    • Hide content

Hi

If you are worried about a DJ talking too much then speak to a few of them to find out there particular style. I used to be very very chatty on the mic, but noway days I hardy use it at all as I do not feel that it is necessary, I let the music speak for its self. If you do go down the juke box hire route ask what back up they do have in place just in case something should happen on the night. Any pro DJ should have back up so you might be with out music for a few minutes if the worst should ever happen, what happens if the juke box fails and you have no back up?

• tinkerbelly1983
    Beginner October 2011
    tinkerbelly1983 ·
    • Hide content

We hired ours thru sm jukeboxes. the jubebox was fully loaded with every top 40 hit fron 1952 to the present week so we didnt have to choose any music to put on it. we had the digital nostalgia whick was digital so there was no break between the songs, there was a screen on the front and you could select by artist, song title, genre, date, it was brilliant! we didnt need any extra speakers as it was loyd enough for our venue and we had uplighters (the jukebox company hired us these too) they looked brilliant. we had static colour up the walls at the seating end of the room then turned them onto flashing mode at the party end! it was ace and just like a 'proper' disco. when i get home on the computer ill try to upload some pics. if anyone wants the hire company details let me know, i will pm you x

• Wedding DJ
    Wedding DJ ·
    • Hide content

Any pictures tinkerbelly?

How were you/other bridal party dances introduced onto the dance floor - did the Bestman do it?

Did Little Johnny put his favourite Drum and Bass tracks on all night?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I'd have to favour a DJ all the way. They aren't all desperately uncool with cringeworthy taste and a love of the sound of their own voice! My DJ was perfect - if you are worried about how they might "behave", you aren't picking the right DJ for your party. A DJ is something to be researched, to find one who fits your vibe and shares your taste, who can read a crowd and direct the evening. Trusting my family and friends to make appropriate music choices was never going to happen. With a juke box, people can choose what THEY want to hear, with no reference to what's currently on, what's already been played, and so on. A DJ adds something a juke box can't, intelligence Smiley smile

• Sparkles82
    Beginner April 2013
    Sparkles82 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with FTLOMB, totally!

I want someone to interact with the crowd, I want someone to get the party going, to announce our first dance etc etc.

I will research ours thoroughly as the one we had for our engagement was shockingly bad, and so I know how much is can spoil an atmosphere if they are pants.

• S
    Spacebar Productions ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We're seeing more and more brides ask about this at wedding fairs and internet enquiries. We have designed this specifically for weddings and parties called the iDJ - www.theidj.com. It does all the things brides continue to ask for and more which is:

- make announcements for the first dance, during and ending of the night

- allows guests to request tunes at the party and the idj will let you know whether or not the tune will kill the dancefloor and if so won't play it

- you can lock it down so only the music compiled by the bride and groom (working alongside a real dj) is played and mixed in intelligently

and lots more

• B
    Beginner September 2014
    beckimas ·
    • Hide content

Cool cool cool...I actually gasped when I read the title of the thread lol...never even thought of this as an option...kinda wish I hadn't already booked my DJ now (even though I know he will be amazing). Go for it x

• ~Curley~
    Beginner August 2014
    ~Curley~ ·
    • Hide content

This is something I have never even considered but may be just what I need....thank you for the thread. We are only having a small wedding (around 30). We are hiring a manor house for the weekend and their will only be us there. I dismissed a DJ straight away as the reception room isnt overly big and felt a DJ would feel intrusive. People tend to start getting up to dance around 10ish but you have to have the DJ from the start so would be weird for him/her to be their for a couple of hours with nobody on the dance floor lol.

My plan has always been to have my Ipod docked as the venue has a PA system but now im thinking this may be the way forward.

Only problem is, we are getting married in Scotland and its pretty much in the middle of nowhere so may not deliver.

• Jens Hand Crafted Stationery
    Jens Hand Crafted Stationery ·
    • Hide content

I hired a digital juke box for my own wedding in 2011 and it went down a storm! You get microphones with it too so can get one of the ushers to make announcements for you.

This was the company I got mine through: http://www.digitaljukeboxhire.co.uk

xxx

• lil_2014
    Beginner July 2014
    lil_2014 ·
    • Hide content

We booked ours already and was one of the first things we got down.

Went with http://jukebox45s.co.uk/ which offer the Digital Americana, a jukebox you can plugin your Ipod to and the songs there will show on the screen of the jukebox.

But, we will also plan to have a live band doing presentation for 30-40 minutes in the evening, and the jukebox will be used when the band is not on. Although as both bands we are waiting for are not getting back to us, we might have to drop the idea and go for performers instead with the jukebox playing the tunes.

Go with your gut feeling tells you to, and you will do no wrong!

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics