Is this normal or should I be getting worried? **UPDATED** Now with mini-Flash

Join the conversation!

Chat and get advice from other brides-to-be.

Register for free Sign in to reply
Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 123Next >
Sort Posts:
  • Posted: 9 Sep 2011 10:24

Is this normal or should I be getting worried? **UPDATED** Now with mini-Flash

I get married on the 1st October this year (three weeks tomorrow) and the dress shop haven't got my dress in yet - I haven't had a single fitting.

I was measured for my dress on 11th June and was told it be delivered to the shop "within 5 - 6 weeks as they have a fairly quick turnaround" which I estimated to be mid to late July.

Didn't hear anything in July, so I emailed them on 15th August and was told my dress was down for delivery "end of August".  Didn't hear anything so phoned on 6th September and was told that the delivery was "any day now".

My bridesmaids where horrified and said it is leaving things very late.  They text me each day asking if the dress is in.  My OH isn't happy because he's worried it won't come in time and they have been a bit curt in their communications with us.  Even my mother who has been very chilled is starting to get anxious.

I really don't want to cause a fuss as I understand they are busy and there are other brides who have ordered dresses from them.  My wedding isn't the centre of everyone else's world and would hate to come across as Bridezilla.

Maybe I should have chased it sooner but my Nan had a suspected stroke beginning of August so that kind of eclipsed everything else for a while.

• Posted: 9 Sep 2011 10:34

Re: Is this normal or should I be getting worried?

Erm...I dont want to alarm you but I have my final fitting next week....and yes...there are three weeks til our weddings...I would ring them and ask where it is as you need to book in fittings etc ASAP.

My dress has been in the shop since May....Tongue Tied

• Posted: 9 Sep 2011 10:37

I'd be on the phone to them to find out what's going on and if possible go in in person. Don't get too alarmed (easier said than done) but you should have had fittings etc. Keep us informed xx

• Posted: 9 Sep 2011 10:38

I had my final fitting about 6 days before the wedding, but my dress was an ex sample so had always been in the shop. I would definitely be chasing them relentlessly now if I was you.

• Posted: 9 Sep 2011 10:39

I think you should go to the shop and have it out with them. You really need to be trying it on to see if any alterations need doing, then checking again that its ok.

• Posted: 9 Sep 2011 10:40

Hmm, I suspected as much.  I got a bit panicky when I read on Hitched last weekend that RKB (I think!) was having her fittings and she's getting married after us (no offense to RKB).

I might get my mum to ring - everyone says I'm way too soft.

ETA - The girl I spoke to on Tuesday said "not to worry as I'm being bridesmaid for my best friend the day after your wedding and my BM dress hasn't arrived yet either".  Strangely enough, that didn't comfort me much.

• Posted: 9 Sep 2011 12:29

The first thing i'd do TBH is tell your BMs not to ring you every single day asking, as it's only going to make you more upset and stressed about it.

Next i'd go to the shop and explain that you are concerned about the fittings, and ask for an assurance that the fittings will be done on time. Even if it means booking the fittings now before the dress comes - the reason I say this is my seamstress was very busy on 6 weeks ago with main wedding season and I struggled to get a convinient appointment - ended up having to take an afternoon off work and driving 140miles to get there when I was working away.

In terms of whether it's physically possible - a dress could be fully altered in a day if the seamstress has the time, and if you are available to keep trying it on/checking so I wouldn't worry just yet.

How many fittings/how much alteration do you think you'll need? I needed 3 as my skirt had many layers - she did the under layers on the first fitting, checked they fitted on the second one and then re-tacked the top layer and also added things like bustles, handloops, bra puts etc in time for the 3rd fitting when I just tried it on and got my Mom/Auntie in to show them how to bustle/tie the corset back.

• Posted: 9 Sep 2011 12:41

fruitbat83:

Hmm, I suspected as much.  I got a bit panicky when I read on Hitched last weekend that RKB (I think!) was having her fittings and she's getting married after us (no offense to RKB).

I might get my mum to ring - everyone says I'm way too soft.

ETA - The girl I spoke to on Tuesday said "not to worry as I'm being bridesmaid for my best friend the day after your wedding and my BM dress hasn't arrived yet either".  Strangely enough, that didn't comfort me much.

None taken! I actually thought our fittings were taking place a bit early considering I'm not getting married til December.  My next and final fitting is on the 17th of November (just under a month before the wedding)

Definately would be going and speaking to the shop about the dress.  I ordered mine in August last year and was told it would take 6 months.  My dress has been in the shop since July.

• Posted: 9 Sep 2011 12:46

What everyone else has said really, get on the phone to them NOW or go into the store.

You have got to insist they give you an answer as to when it will be in.  they should be able to talk to the manufacturer to find out where it is, check they haven't got their dates mixed up.

• Posted: 9 Sep 2011 12:51

Little Madam:

How many fittings/how much alteration do you think you'll need? I needed 3 as my skirt had many layers - she did the under layers on the first fitting, checked they fitted on the second one and then re-tacked the top layer and also added things like bustles, handloops, bra puts etc in time for the 3rd fitting when I just tried it on and got my Mom/Auntie in to show them how to bustle/tie the corset back.

Thanks, I've already texted both BMs this morning asking them politely to knock it off.  Thankfully the shop is in the town where I work (30min walk) so I could have any fittings during my lunch break if needed.  I don't think it would require that much altering tbh - maybe taking in a touch on the bust and waist as I have lost a little bit of weight since June (not a massive amount, though).  The length should be ok as I'm fairly tall.

ETA - thanks everyone, will phone again this afternoon.  I will also ask what will happen if it doesn't arrive at all.  Don't want to P*ss them off too much - they're doing the suit hire too.

• Posted: 9 Sep 2011 12:57

The last thing you need right now is more negativity, but you really have left it late, you should have demanded that the dress was delieverd early August! You have enough to think about 3 weeks before your wedding without worying about this - this is mega! What is the shop thinking!!! So they have your sizes but it means nothing, a wedding gown needs to fit like a glove so I guarantee that alterations will be required, there appears to be absoloulty no urgency with them - on the other hand, as much as you would like to have this sorted there is no chance they wont have the alterations done in time and all we be well but its the lack of consideration for you that I would be angry about.

• Posted: 9 Sep 2011 12:58

I got married on the 20th August, my dress came in on the 10th August and I had my first fitting on the 13th and another fitting on the 18th (the day I picked it up) they said if it needed any more work they would of had to do it there and then - luckly it never!  I would trust them! It's is cutting it fine but they will have your dress ready for you even if they have to work 24/7

• Posted: 9 Sep 2011 13:40

I would be stalking them at this stage, without a doubt.

• Posted: 9 Sep 2011 16:49

Minor update - I phoned this afternoon but the lady I need to speak to wasn't in.  She's going to phone me in the morning.  Hope she phones my mobile, not the house phone otherwise she will get my rather unhappy OH.  

• Posted: 9 Sep 2011 17:00

fruitbat, stop worrying that you're being too brideszilla, you're not.

Firstly let me just say I'm certain that it will all be sorted in time, but its not great that they've left you in this position so soon to the wedding, its not the best.

Just u get on their case and make damn sure that they know you're not impressed. The fact that they're doing the suit hire has b***er all to do with it actually they are they ones wanting your money and they shou.ld be providing the due service!

Return to: Wedding Planning
Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 123Next >