Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

slou90
Beginner April 2014

Is it normal to arrange transport for the grooms parents ?

slou90, 2 of March of 2014 at 17:53 Posted on Planning 0 11

So we have a super right budget - I am going venue in a borrowed vintage car with my step dad. My bridesmaids ( well 4 of them ) will be going in a family friends car which is lush with a bow on it. My other bridesmaid will be going in a normal car with my mum as far as I know as I don't really know what she's doing and then god knows everyone else.

my oh is going with his son and best man in my friends new Mercedes and the 3 ushers are going with the oldest ushers gf who is also playing the harp . The question is - are oh and I wrong to think we shouldn't have organised anything else ...

or should we ? Help !

11 replies

Latest activity by mariannechuaphotography, 3 of March of 2014 at 08:29
  • BarcaGirl25
    Beginner April 2014
    BarcaGirl25 ·
    • Hide content

OH and I had this conversation last night! We aren't organising his family's transport, we are organising me, my mum and gramps (giving me away) (wedding car) step dad, gran BM's and TOG, him and his best man and the partners of the best man and bridesmaids as they won't be with their respective other halves before the ceremony they'll be with each other!

• lilbeth
    Beginner July 2015
    lilbeth ·
    • Hide content

I think you've done well with transport!

We aren't doing OH family. I'm assuming they will all be travelling together and will sort it out themselves.

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

Thank god it's not just is - our venue is 15-20 minutes away from his parents and 15 from me so it's not far and whole day etc is in one place. I wanted to double check because I keep getting little comments about it and how many cars have I got ? And stuff and it's another stress for me and oh x

• BarcaGirl25
    Beginner April 2014
    BarcaGirl25 ·
    • Hide content

Cripes don't worry about it then! They're not far they can find their own way! All OH's family will be at the hotel that they will be returning to for the reception so they can figure lifts from there themselves!

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Simple answer to the initial question is no. But if there are special circumstances for the then you might need to help ensure they have transport, but it's not your responsibility to provide it. Tradition is bride and bride's father in one car to the ceremony, bridesmaids and bride's mother in another car, then after the cermony bride and groom go in one car, and something else for bridesmaids etc, but you will need to make sure everyone is sorted out but that's different to providing it.

If you're on a tight budget then you do just as you have and rope friends etc in to help.

hth

x

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

Ceremony will be at the same place as reception so oh and I won't be going anywhere till getting a taxi to the hotel lolx

I'm pleased you've not all said I'm a super cow x

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You're far from it lol. You're doing a great job and have got the transport absolutely spot on. x

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

As long as they are fit and able, have their own form of transport and are not the type to dither about and go to the wrong place by mistake, I'd leave them to it ? My future FIL will be going with future BIL and SIL as he doesn't drive any more (he's 87 bless him!) and would have no way of getting there otherwise. We would happily arrange transport if there was no family help, but not because it's expected, but because it's necessary.

Stop worrying - I cannot imagine anyone would think you were being mean!!!

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

Thankyou ladies you always have a way of making me feel better . I just sometimes feel MILto be feels like I'm not doing a gd enough job x

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

Not in a slag off way btw - she just wants the best for her youngest son x

Beginner March 2015
    *CrazyCatLady* ·
    • Hide content

I hadn't even thought about cars yet but I had assumed I would only be providing for myself, my dad and the bridesmaids! Eek. Maybe I need to re-look at this one...!

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Don't assume it's not needed! I have seen weddings where a dad went awol because he assumed there'd be transport and there wasn't! They're old, you have to forgive them! Smiley laugh

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics