Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Purple Pixie
Beginner July 2012

Indecision regarding house buying

Purple Pixie, 8 of August of 2008 at 13:08 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 4

Sorry, this is going to be long. My head's spinning. Despite how I might come across on here I am normally a very decisive person, especially when it comes to things as important as choosing the right house.

I've been researching houses and areas to live in for months. I'd got it down to three possible areas. We knew what kind of house we wanted/needed. Last month we accepted an offer on our house from someone who wants to move yesterday (he's the end of the chain) so we said we'd look for a week and then if there wasn't anything we'd go into rented so that we didn't lose our buyer.

We found a house in one of the three areas that met all our requirements that we both really liked so we put an offer in on it and now all the paperwork is underway.

But now I'm having serious doubts and I'm arguing with myself as to whether they are real/unsolvable problems or whether I'm just being a scaredy cat for some reason. Doubts include: garden isn't as big as we've got now, bathroom is tiny (I injured myself by walking into the sink when we went for the viewing), third bedroom is minute, the downstairs is open plan which I originally thought was fantastic but now I'm worried about noise/smells/privacy, everything has been recently refurbished which seems great but we're both big fans of DIY/interior design and it means we won't be able to put our own stamp on the place and the bits that need altering will involve undoing brand new work which seems a waste of money, the nursery we've chosen was fine but 'just' fine (it didn't make me feel as certain as the one where he is now) and I'm beginning to think that it might be a little too far away from my parents (my son goes twice a week while I'm at work) and from my work (50 minute drive - which is too long for me to be in a car really due to my back problem). But it is in a lovely old market town, downstairs loo (which we need), plenty of room (except for 3rd bedroom and bathroom) and the possibility to extend the first floor and convert the second garage.

And on top of that OH has just mentioned the stamp duty thing and that prices are still falling.

Because I was umming and ahhing I've been keeping an eye on rightmove and now I've found another house that I like. It's in an area that we hadn't considered (although I can't work out why) - a big village with all the facilities we'd need and closer to work for all of us. The house has got a lot of the things that the first one hasn't - a utility room (which OH desperately wants), a conservatory, a bigger garden, a better location within the village (walking distance to shops/schools/pub/leisure centre/playground). It's a bit dated, which would mean spending more money, but we'd both really enjoy doing it up (although we'd struggle for time). Obviously when we see it it could be a definite no-go but the fact that I'm even going to look is ringing alarm bells about the first property.

I'm really confused. Am I just being greedy wanting these extra things? It's quite possible that we'll never get everything we want and that the first property is the best we'll get for our money. I don't know whether to carry on with the purchase or pull out and go into rented (or buy this other house if it's any good). The big problem with renting is that we desperately want to get our son settled into a new nursery so that he won't have to move again before he goes to school.

Argh!

4 replies

Latest activity by cjb, 8 of August of 2008 at 15:13
  • E
    Eleda ·
    • Hide content

The reasons you've given for not liking the first house are all good ones IMO and if you've got a 2nd one to look at, that might help clarify things for you. I don't think the perfect house exists but if you can move forward knowing you've made a good decision for you, rather than found the perfect house that's got to be a good thing.

Best of luck!

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your reply Hollybags. If it just needed some work on it then I wouldn't be bothered, it's the things that can't be changed that are niggling me.

I hope I'll be able to make a better decision when we've seen the other one tonight.

• K
    Beginner May 2007
    Kegsey ·
    • Hide content

I think, definitely look at this second house - on paper it sounds fab but you might hate it in person. Then you know if you have 2 or 3 choices. Hopefully just 2 - buy or rent.

I'm not sure that the perfect house exists - I know we compromised a little on this house but the reasons you give sound a bit more of a compromise. What does your H think?

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

He's normally really decisive too but he went from being certain, to finding a little thing wrong that niggled him (the attic is virtually unusable even as storage) to spiralling into a mixture of confusion and depression about it all. I'm a bit worried about him actually. He doesn't need this on top of everything else at the minute.

I think he'd be happy if I just said 'we're having X one' because, as he says, the things he wants in a house can be added or altered, the things I want can't.

• C
    Beginner June 2002
    cjb ·
    • Hide content

Imagine how you'd feel if you got a phone call from the agent, telling you that the house you are buying has been unexpectedly withdrawn from the market. Would you feel relief, or disappointment?

I'm an Estate Agent and speaking from experience, just from your post here it seems that your heart is not really set on the house. For that reason, I would seriously reconsider right now. Conveyancing, particularly in a chain, is a long and protracted process - you really have to have your heart set on the goal to see it through to the end so I think you might pull out of the purchase at some point anyway.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics