Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Naomi
Beginner November 2021 Surrey

How to buy a wedding dress in plenty of time when everything's shut?!

Naomi, 15 of January of 2021 at 18:27 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hi everyone,

I am sure lots of people must be in a similar boat and so I would be interested to hear thoughts. We are due to get married at the end of November 2021 - when we booked last summer with the rates so low it seemed like Covid would just be a bad dream by then! At the moment we're optimistic it might be able to go ahead, but my current concern is how to buy a wedding dress 6-9 months in advance of the wedding when the UK is in a lockdown that doesn't look like it's going anywhere for a few months.

Has anyone got any contingency plans or ideas for dress buying? Also just wanted to offer a bit of solidarity to everyone who has been through postponements, cancellations and disappointments. This is our first date and even though we haven't had to postpone yet I am getting a little bit down about not being able to plan properly or having any kind of security. I can't imagine what those of you have gone through who have had to reschedule the date more than once. I keep trying to tell myself that it's just a wedding and it's not important in the grand scheme of things but I think I've started to think of it as our 'reward' and the light at the end of the tunnel at the end of it all, which is probably not the most healthy way to view it!

11 replies

Latest activity by Naomi, 1 of February of 2021 at 19:08
  • S
    Savvy October 2021 Dumfries Galloway & Ayrshire
    Shenel ·
    • Hide content
    Hi Naomi,

Sorry I don’t have any answers for you. We have recently booked our wedding for 24 October 2021 and am thinking the same thing! Starting to think we were being a little too ambitious with our date but we have said we will still get married even if they say no guests allowed, and can always delay the reception but not the actual marriage. I still need a wedding dress either way though. I have seen a lot of advice online that says you can pick up designer dresses for bargain prices at sample sales and some are even available to buy online, but I would still like to try a few on to get an idea of what they look like actually on me. So looks like we may have to wait until the UK opens back up for business I guess ??‍♀️
  • Pinkprosecco18
    Beginner July 2021 South Yorkshire
    Pinkprosecco18 ·
    • Hide content
    Hi. I am hoping to get married in the summer and haven't got a dress yet! My plan A is to try getting one ready to wear off the rack once bridal shops open. Although I am prepared I might not be able to get my "perfect dress" this way there will still be lots of nice dresses to choose from. And then I could get some minor adjustments done at a local tailors. My plan B is to order one online, and I've already found a few I like. I'm just trying to remember what's important is that we can have a wedding at all at this point!
  • H
    Curious May 2021 Oxfordshire
    Helen ·
    • Hide content
    Hiya I was due to marry 16/10/20 then changed to 7/11/20 then 15/5/21 now it’s 28/5/21 but who knows! I initially went to a wed2be shop and they had massive choice I brought a dress and veil the same day last February ready for October wedding but that whole wedding was a very different plan to what we have in May. I have since changed my mind on the original dress and I actually went on a bridal reloved website and found a absolutely incredible designer gown for a third of the usual price and it’s a sample so never been worn. It is literally the perfect dress I knew as soon as I saw it! They have only charged 12 pounds to have it sent directly to me.
    It’s a risk as I haven’t tried it on but I spent hours looking at dresses online and on Pinterest and I know the style that suits my shape and for the price feel it’s worth that risk. I found an almost identical gown brand new that would take four months to order but they wanted 2400 for it paid in full and ordered without trying it and I wouldn’t risk it for that much!!
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

You could try mail ordering from a company that allows you to return dresses that don't work. There are several that have this option. Or you could go to places that have lots of sale dresses or second hand ones and buy one to take away on the day.

• April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    I don’t have an answer for you but I bought my dress 31st October 2020 (just before London went into lockdown 2.0) for a wedding on 24th April 2021 having been to 2 bridal stores - had to try on so many dresses because I was really particular about what I thought would look great on me and hide excema flair ups that might arise.

My dress arrived in store in December.
    Because of lockdowns I’ve not been able to try it on but right now not too worried as apparently you only need to be fitted 6 weeks before your wedding and final one a week or 2 before.
    All this to say: You’ve still got lots of time and lockdowns will start to lift with the weather improvements and vaccinations etc.
    I’d advise research the style you think you want (think about your body shapes and see suggestions), get ideas of price points (no point falling in love with a style you can’t afford) , look on websites of local stores to see if they stock your preferences (makes it easier for fittings etc if local tiered lockdowns remain) so you are good to go once lockdown lifts.You could also do virtual appointments but when it comes to dress shopping unless you get to try on the dresses discussed I can’t see how different it is from doing your own online research.Good luck.
  • M
    Beginner November 2021 Gloucestershire
    Mar ·
    • Hide content

Hi Naomi,

First of all, sorry you are feeling stressed about finding your wedding dress.

My MoH when she got married only found her dress a couple of months before her wedding (not covid related, she is just a very relaxed person!) in bridal boutique in London. It was a sample dress, but it is not something you can usually tell. The designer was quite an important one so actually she got a bit discount.

Separately, I am also a November bride! Had to move from Nov. 2020 to Nov. 2021. I am trying to stay positive but it is difficult Smiley star

• T
    Dedicated September 2021 East Central London
    Theorganisedbride ·
    • Hide content
    There are quite a few bridal boutiques offering a courier service to your home. So you can pick 5-6 dresses from their selection, get them couriered to you and try on at home and have a video consultation with them if you want. Plenty in London are offering it eg London Bride Couture in Pimlico and many others. Good luck! You still have time if it’s November but I know it’s top of the to do list once you set a wedding date Smiley smile
  • Fab
    Curious September 2021 Surrey
    Fab ·
    • Hide content
    I think a lot of things also depend on what you feel comfortable with. Wedding coming up in September so I was either going down the boutique route, but since budgets are contained and yet did not want to resort in something that did not feel personalised enough I went down a rabbit hole on Etsy!

I personally went with these ladies (attaching the link) the only thing to bear in mind is that you have to measure the hell out of your body ? (they ask you for 12 individual measurements) but highly customisable and felt like I could get something unique that reflected my style. Hope it helps! https://tidd.ly/3sbevig
  • Naomi
    Naomi ·
    • Hide content

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all your replies and tips - they have really put my mind at rest. Fingers crossed and lots of love to all you brides to be xxx

• H
    Beginner October 2021 South West London
    HJC84 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Naomi,

Check out https://www.aurora-bride.com/ they are based in Cheam. I visited them last year and the ladies in the shop were wonderful. I didn't end up getting my dress from there but I would highly recommend them. They are doing lots of samples sales via Instagram live, and also a courier service where they send dresses to your home to try on, and then can send back (for a small cost I think). As you are based in Surrey, these guys could help!

Good luck!

• Naomi
    Naomi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooh yes they are so near me and I had them on my shortlist. Thank you so much!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics