Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner October 2011

Help for long train on dress for wedding in 10 days!

theonian, 21 of September of 2011 at 20:33 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hello!

I just wanted to cast this out on you guys (this forum has been a lifesaver sooo many times!!). I have my dress, a Sophia Tolli Diana:

As you can see, it's got a really lovely train, that I have kept. Problem is, it's really long! At the dress shop, they put some hooks on the top of the dress to hook it to the top. I think usually it's done on the inside, but we wanted to keep the detail of the train on show. Even when the hooks are done up, I still have a train, which will not be good for dancing - falling flat on my face for my first dance is something I want to avoid!

My mum used to be a dress maker, she didn't do my alterations as she didn't want the responsibility of spoiling it all, reckons that my dress is too heavy for the hooks, and I agree with her. Also, the hooks on the outside of the train look rubbish. She's taking the hooks out, because the last thing we want is for the hooks to rip a hole into my dress. And they aren't working at any rate to keep me from tripping up.

Which (finally) brings me onto my question: Has anybody else had a long and heavy train, and how did they ingeniously hook it up (if possible, technical details please, so my poor mother can replicate!), preferably with the beading still on show?

Wedding 10 days, so starting to panic...oops!! The dress shop insisted on doing my alterations last minute...sometimes wonder if they do this on purpose so you can't go back to them with any problems....I can't take it back to the shop, as a) I would have trusted them to do it right the first time, b) I'm out of time c) my mum has the dress a few hundred miles away from the shop. Stress!

Sorry for the rant peeps!

6 replies

Latest activity by Little Madam, 22 of September of 2011 at 20:06
  • Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Hi I had quite a long train but luckily i hadbuttons down the back of it so the lady doing my alterationd added a small ribbon hook on theseem (on the outside so it gatherd up and hooked onto a button, here is a before and after shot!

not sure if it helps greatly as different styles and from what i can gather you still have some train after hooking!

One bit of advice though, my friend had a popper at the bottom of her train to 'pop' in with the other half tucked under. it kept comming 'un popped' which was frustraiting and it didnt last as the weight of the train was too heavy for it!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

My dress had a rather large train, which I bustled up with ribbons inside the dress. The top ribbon was a few inches below my hips and the second ribbon was about halfway down the train. Not sure this helps much with the wanting to keep the detail on show but might be your only option.

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

This is my dress i too like MrsC am having a ribbon bustle, my dress has loads of detail all down the back so dont think it takes away from the design by having this although if yours is mainly around the bottom i understand your concern,

try this site i have found it useful and you just need to look for the type of bustle you want it will tell and show you step by step http://www.ehow.com/how_4885418_make-wedding-dress-bustle.html

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content

I'm a Sophia Tolli bride too!!!!

On you tube there are loads of videos on how to bustle a wedding dress using the ribbon method which I think is better for a heavy train. If you gety them in the right place you should still be able to show off the detail, good luck!

My cousin had a hook on hers and we spent most of the evening trying to repair the hook with a hotel sewing kit after it bent and then came off! in the end we gave up and she flung it over her arm for the evening.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

My train was not huge but I had a wrist ribbon inside the dress that went over my wrist. Dress looked really cute held up and it was great for dancing!

• T
    Beginner October 2011
    theonian ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for replying and for sharing your beautiful pictures! Lifesaver, I will go through in detail with my mum tonight. I didn't even know what to Google before now, and all those examples of bustles are amazing, I had no idea that's what it was.

I orignally wanted to have a wrist tie during my first dance, but when I tried it on, dress was still way too long Smiley sad

I can't wait to be in my dress...wish I could wear it all the time Smiley laugh

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I would definately recommend getting the hand held hoop too as a back up.

My friend's dress was so very heavy was it couldn't be bustled and she spent all evening pulling it around and carrying it over her arm.

Mine was also quite large, and I coped fine with the hand hook until probably 9pm, then I tried to bustle it, but it didn't look as I wanted it to, so by 11pm it was back down and being carried.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics