Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

April21Bride
Rockstar July 2021 West London

Has anyone regretted an “intimate” wedding

April21Bride, 5 of October of 2020 at 14:51 Posted on Planning 1 10
I got engaged during lockdown and had always thought I’d have a short engagement with c60 guests. My partner and I have discussed this a lot.

Fast forward to these unprecedented times of 15 guests... a tad more intimate that we would have initially considered.
I’m not confident that we return to 100% normal in 2021 but am hopeful we’ll return to at least 30 by April.
My question is because of my age (34 in a few weeks) I don’t really want to delay getting married to 2022 but my partner worries I’ll regret not having a bigger day incl hen weekends etc. Has anyone regretted/ know of someone who has regretted having a smaller day?
We are currently thinking 30 in April (guidelines willing) or just having 15 around Christmas and leaning into it (I’ll have to drink a lot as I’m sure many will wonder if I’m ??).
ThanksDee

10 replies

Latest activity by Holly, 19 of October of 2020 at 16:32
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

We got married the week after restrictions lifted with 12 guests and no regrets. Yes, we'd have liked our full guest list and a reception, but not at the expense of waiting 1 or 2 more years!

In your place, I'd go for it. Get a good photographer and consider filming or live-streaming the ceremony for those who can't attend in person.

You can always have a bigger celebration later. You could even have a post-wedding hen do if you wanted!

• April21Bride
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you. Well put. We are going to view our first venue tomorrow- I’m so excited!
  • H
    Curious October 2021 Norfolk
    Holly ·
    • Hide content

I've had the same worries moving from 100 person wedding to 30, but now i'm in planning mode for 30, i'm super excited about the changes we're able to make due to an increased budget for less people! We're keeping flexible that our venue can hold our original 80 guests so we can have them for the evening if allowed. If not, I think we'll just do a first wedding anniversary party in 2022 and invite the masses..!

I hope you had a great first venue visit!

• April21Bride
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The venue was lovely and the would be coordinator was really receptive to our vision.
    Like you say with fewer guests you can use the money to make even more special.
    We’ve even discussed having a cultural ceremony (my family is Nigerian and half of my fiancé is Indian) in addition to our wedding to have extended family. We are now even more excited. Bring on April 2021 ?????
  • Mrsa2021
    Dedicated June 2021 Cornwall
    Mrsa2021 ·
    • Hide content

We were going to have a wedding next Sept with over 100 guests.. but we just cannot see that happening so we are now (hopefully) booking a wedding in Cornwall for April 21 with just parents and siblings and having a big wedding reception in 2022 if things have improved so we get two celebrations really which is a winner in my eyes!

• B
    Beginner January 2020
    Beth ·
    • Hide content
    I got married in January (pre-corona) with 20 guests at the wedding, 17 for the day time meal then we had a spa afternoon with 11 guests then at the end of the day had a meal in a restaurant with those 11.

No regrets!!
  • April21Bride
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sounds beautiful! We’ve decided on an April 21 wedding and cannot wait to become a Mrs.
  • Amybethxox
    Curious December 2021 Essex
    Amybethxox ·
    • Hide content
    Dee, how did you and your partner come to make a decision. We are struggling!
  • April21Bride
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    In the end we just realised the most important thing for us was to be married to each other- waiting wasn’t something either of us wanted. Also, once we started with a list it became clear who was important to us. If restrictions lift we’ll add guests and ask them to come in the evening.
  • H
    Curious October 2021 Norfolk
    Holly ·
    • Hide content

Ahh Dee, how exciting! I love the sound of incorporating the cultural ceremony!

Totally agree with making the list of who you really want there. We split the list between "who we want to watch us say our vows" and "who we want to party with", which made the decisions much easier and clearer! The 30 people we're having in the day for the whole thing really are those closest to us - those who knew us before we were together, saw us dating and been there for all the milestone highs and lows of our relationship!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics