Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

sophamie
Beginner May 2013

Getting married in a church - do I need a registrar as well?

sophamie, 10 of September of 2012 at 22:05 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi

I'm getting married in a church, and didn't think I needed a registrar as I thought the church sorted everything out. But I was talking to a friend today and she said I might need one anyway. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Thanks

Sophamie

13 replies

Latest activity by Civil Ceremonies, 16 of September of 2012 at 12:46
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Church of England: No

Roman Catholic: Yes

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

It depends on the type of church.

I am getting married in a United Reformed Church. I have to give notice but don't need a registrar on the day. However, if my vicar was marrying outside of his 'area' then you would have to have a registrar as well.

Probably be best to check with your church. They'll be able to advise you.

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I didn't know this! We're getting married in a catholic church and when we met the priest and he told us a list of stuff we needed to do etc he didn't mention this! x

• IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content

Your priest is most probably it, ring to check. Payment is around £50 usually.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

If it's a Church of England wedding, you do not need a registrar.

For any other denomination, you do. However, some congregations have "approved persons" (I think this is the right term) who can act as a registrar at weddings, and some non-CofE ministers are registered as "approved persons" in which case you do not need to sort out a registrar from the local office but will still need to give notice and may need to pay the approved person anyway. I would recommend discussing it with your minister nice and early, because if you do need to book one, they tend to book up quickly!

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You dont need a registrar for CofE or Catholic.

All other denominations of church you will need to give notice at your local register office (like you would for a civil wedding), and take the form to your church. Most churches will have a person who is effectively registered as a registrar so you wont need a separate one.

• A
    Aceflowers ·
    • Hide content

I am agree with canarybride that It depends on the type of church.

If you wish to be married in the Church of England or the Church in Wales - and generally you will be able to do so only if you or your partner live in the parish - you should first speak to the Vicar. If he is able to marry you he will arrange for Banns to be called on three Sundays before the day of your ceremony or for a common licence to be issued and there is generally no need to involve the superintendent registrar.

If you are getting married in any other church or religious building you will need to give a notice of marriage to the Superintendent Registrar of the district in which you reside.

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

You do need one for catholic. Ours unfortunately is in every one of our pictures as she wouldn't bloody move! So the proofs in the pudding... (Lady in glasses standing behind my man of honour)

You do have to have them, she was an extra £50 and did the register signing with us after the service too.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes you do for Catholic. As others have mentioned, sometimes they have someone within the church who is registered but others don't.

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

For a Church of England/Wales ceremony the vicar will arrange the banns and register the marriage.

In a church of any other denomination there is usually an authorised person who will register the marriage. This may/may not be the minister or priest. You should confirm this with the priest or minister. If there is not an authorised person you will need to book and pay for a registrar.

You will also have to give notice at your local register office or a designated office if one of you is subject to immigration control.

Above is for England/Wales.

• K
    Beginner August 2013
    kayzz ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married at our venue simply because its less hassle but we have been swaying towards the chapel (roman catholic) our kids were christened in so does that mean i will have to make a donation to the priest plus pay the £300 the registar are wanting to charge?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Flora, I clarified later on. RC churches don't automatically have someone who can act as the registrar whereas CofE do.

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

The fee for a registrar to attend to register a marriage in an authorised building (church, chapel) is not the same as attending an approved premise (hotel, barn, castle etc). You should check with your register office what the fee is, I think about £90. You would still have to book the registrar if there is no authorised person for the church.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics