E
Newbie Bride October 2021 Oxfordshire

Flowers

ExpensiveGreenDiamonds59574, 30 July 2020 at 17:07 Posted on Wedding Planning 0 14
Saved Save
Holy sh.......... I had no idea flowers were this expensive. I only put aside a token amount in the budget. I was originally going to elope in the Caribbean and now we’re planning to stay here so o hadn’t thought about it. Cheapest quote I got was £2500. How much is everyone spending on flowers?

14 replies

• ExpensivePinkFlowers63608
    Newbie Bride September 2020
    ExpensivePinkFlowers63608 ·

I got dried flowers. Much cheaper and last longer! Spent £46.95.

• HappyPinkHair15172
    Dedicated Bride September 2021 Merseyside
    HappyPinkHair15172 ·

WOW! £2500! I’m not surprised you’re so shocked! What part of the country is that for, and what’s the breakdown of charges? Better buy some Lottery tickets!

Lush (the toiletries and cosmetics place) is doing me 3 bouquets, 5 corsages, 4 boutonnières and 50 buttonholes for around £400. My local run of the mill high st florist wanted over double that.

The cost is mostly labour, in any general quote. Lush was so much cheaper because the staff are already in the shop, paid for by Lush.

Are there any local floristry training courses or colleges who do discounted options, a bit like if you go to a trainee hairdresser?

Could you do your own?

I looked at paper flowers, but to be honest, it was still cheaper to go with Lush.

I have made the rest of my floral decorations using faux flowers and eucalyptus garlands from Home Bargains and The Range. I posted some pics in the DIY brides thread.

Shop around, there are plenty small businesses who would love your custom for much less, I am sure!

Love, Ali xx

• E
    ExpensiveGreenDiamonds59574 ·
    View quoted message
    To be fair my flower chandelier is like £400 but the centrepieces are the issue. I like tall centrepiece and each of those was quoted at £130 x 8 and all the rest of it.
    I can’t DIY because I don’t have time to set up on the day as we only have the venue from 10am. I will look around and see if I can find any colleges. The other florist came in at £4000.
  • MrsWDesig
    Newbie Bride May 2022 South West London
    MrsWDesig ·

I was just as surprised as you as to how expensive they are. My wedding is in Central London, meaning EVERYTHING is ludicrously priced, but the flowers really shocked me. I tried looking out in the suburbs to get a better price but a whole load of florists just said that they have a £3k minimum spend if the wedding is in Central London.

I wanted tall centerpieces too, but they are much more expensive, so in the end we are now having alternate centerpieces on our tables (half tall, half short, but all in the same style). It's also well worth thinking about whether there are any arrangements which you can use twice/move - I have saved a lot by picking arrangements that can be moved from my ceremony/breakfast/evening rooms.

• E
    View quoted message
    I’m an hour outside London and I thought everything would be cheaper when I moved here. It might be about £50 cheaper. I’m hopeful weather permitting having an outdoor ceremony. Only a small amount flowers which will be moved inside it does help cutting down the cost. But I do like the idea of alternate centrepieces. I need to win the lotto at this rate.
  • C
    West Sussex
    Chris ·

A good friend of mine is a florist and a decent budget for a bouquet + three maids, 6 table decorations is £1400-£1600 and some couples spend 25k on flowers.

Then some people spend £200 on everything. Depends on the florist, depends on the flowers used, depends on the amount of them. But generally, they get their stock from the same or similar wholesalers. Gyp is wayyyy cheaper than a Dahlia. London wholesalers are more expensive than ones in Maidstone and so on.

Like most things wedding, you can go cheap or you can go insane.

• E
    View quoted message
    I’m coming to realise that I grossly under estimated the cost of the flowers. Tesco £3 roses has a lot to answer for. This conversation is gonna be awesome with my fiancé 😂😂.
  • HappyPinkHair15172
    Dedicated Bride September 2021 Merseyside
    HappyPinkHair15172 ·

I really can't see the point of spending so much money on something that will last 2 or 3 days max.

My late parents were given a pale pink fragrant climbing rose bush as a wedding present in 1970. I am taking cuttings off that to make small, potted roses as favours, (so they will double up as table decs), and have bigger ones in pots to decorate our ceremony venue. Totally sustainable, and (I think) a lovely way of including my much missed parents. Only having to pay about £10 for a huge bag of potting compost and about £35 for 72 small, real terracotta pots.

The rest of my table and reception decor is just candles in charity shop crystal vases, and bunting I made from lace and crochet doilies. We wanted to be both thrifty and sustainable, and hopefully we have acheived that!

Have you looked at having non-floral decorations? There are so many wonderful ideas out there!

• E
    View quoted message
    I want flowers, it’s a thing in my family and was for my late mum. I won’t regret paying for it but it was definitely a shock seeing how much it costs. I was looking at dried flowers but it doesn’t go with what I’ve planned and the look I want. I still have to mix a few none floral items on the table or else the bill will be higher. But it is what it is
  • L
    Newbie Bride September 2020
    LuxuriousOrangeHair60179 ·

I think i'm just going to get a nice bunch of supermarket flowers! I just cant face spending that much on something that will die a few days later!

Originally for our wedding in America we were hiring silk ones which I felt happier about and they weren't so expensive either! x

• E
    View quoted message
    That will definitely be cheaper especially if you have like access to the venue from the day before or depending on how early in the morning.
  • Alaister
    Newbie Groom February 2015 West London
    Alaister ·

How about using artificial flower, they are not expensive and still gives a real feel. Try it.Smiley shame

• E
    View quoted message
    I’ve looked into that as well and the really nice silk flowers are just as stupidly expensive. Americans have so much more options because you can rent them but places I found mainly do corporate rentals are was expensive because they the whole event planning but I don’t need that.
  • E
    ExpensiveOrangeHair56651 ·

As a wedding planner it's the topic that I think I now spend the most time on with brides. Expectations are so high thanks to incredible images that you can see on social media and as some else mentioned the £3 rose from Tesco gives a false idea of what the cost might be. Lets remember as an organic element to be sure of good quality on the day you have to be prepared to pay and some single flowers can often cost €5 (I'm in Italy) for just 1. By the time you add variety and man hours it's easier to understand how the cost goes up. What I suggest my couples do is go to the florist with a wish list & budget and ask what they can do for that - but I do always forewarn them it will be more than they are expecting. With the exception of my amazing Egyptian wedding a few years ago - they spend a lot on flowers !

Luckily being based on Lake Garda the venues I use are so beautiful that you can get away with adding very little/nothing to them if the budget dictates that.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles