Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner November 2124 Greater Manchester

Fake Wedding?

Holly, 18 of September of 2020 at 12:30 Posted on Planning 0 2

Hi guys. So my granny has just been told she is terminally ill and has weeks to months to live. Her one wish was to see me walk down the aisle.

My boyfriend and I have been together just over a year and we live together. We have already discussed the fact that we have found the one and have talked about marriage and kids already. He hasnt proposed but we planned to start thinking about getting married in 5 or so years after I finish university. I am 19 and he's 21.

I don't know what to do right now. Whether we should get married or plan a fake one. One that isn't legally binding. I don't know whether we should do anything at all.

What do you think?

2 replies

Latest activity by Holly, 19 of September of 2020 at 12:44
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Sending huge hugs to you - I am so sorry to hear about your granny, and what a horrible situation to have to face.

In your place, I wouldn't consider a fake wedding - however much you dress it up, it is lying to someone you love about something very serious. It wouldn't just be lying on the 'wedding day', but you'd have to keep that up until she died. I think you would find that emotionally very draining, and in time, might regret it. And if your granny should ever find out, I think she would be really hurt that you'd deceived her.

I'd only consider marrying 'for real' if that is what you feel is right for you at this time - rushing into a marriage before you are ready for it is not something that anyone who loved you would want - so however much your grandmother longs to see your wedding day, I'm sure she wouldn't want to see you marry before you are ready.

If you are sure that you and your boyfriend are right for each other, you could look to bring your engagement forward, so that your grandmother can see the ring etc. But if you are not ready for that commitment, perhaps instead, you could look to do something with your grandmother that could be part of your future wedding - e.g. go shopping for an item of jewelry you could wear on your wedding day, or maybe buy a plant that you could incorporate in the decor or use in your bouquet? That way, your grandmother would have been involved in part of your wedding planning - even if the actual wedding doesn't happen for years - and on your wedding day, you will have that memory.

• H
    Beginner November 2124 Greater Manchester
    Holly ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you so much. That is such a lovely idea and something i think could be really special. Thank you so so much.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics