Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner January 2016

Evening Only guests dress code

kerrie_jay, 6 of October of 2015 at 09:12 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hi ladies,

Bit of a dual post here as advice needed both for my OH and my evening only guests. SO... what is the traditional dress code for evening only guests at a wedding? My OH and I are going to one this Saturday and a few of my guests who are evening only have asked what the dress code is i.e. suit trousers, shirt and tie, no tie, smart trousers and shirt? My OH's suit trousers are rather tight at the moment but he is a very smart dresser anyway so would a pair of smart trousers, a shirt and cufflinks be ok for an evening guest?

Thanks in advance! x

14 replies

Latest activity by Bobbys_Girl, 6 of October of 2015 at 22:06
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I would say that unless your invitation specifies a dress code then evening only is simply 'smart'. Trousers and shirt should be absolutely fine and I would imagine by then most of the day guests will have removed suit jackets and ties.

• K
    Beginner January 2016
    kerrie_jay ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Jayne, that's what I thought and I would be happy for people to turn up to the evening of my wedding like that. Three months today for you isn't it?? x

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

Yep, agree with Jayne. Shirt and trousers for evening guests, no need for a tie and jacket.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes three months to go!

• M
    Beginner March 2016
    MrsMtobe2016 ·
    • Hide content

I would say wear a tie. This can always be removed later on in the evening

x

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

I think evening guests are there mainly to see the cake-cutting, first dance and party. I don't think they will feature in any photos so I would go smart as it is special event but not daytime formal.

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    Manda79 ·
    • Hide content

Another vote for shirt no tie. I didn't bat an eyelid at what people wore to our evening do and I'm sure people were all perfectly presented. No doubt several would Have been in jeans and a shirt which I also think is fine for an evening only.

• K
    Beginner January 2016
    kerrie_jay ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys, I'm happy with smart trousers, shirt and no tie for our wedding and OH is happy with it for the one we are going to at the weekend. I'm going to double check with the soon-to-be-married couple though! x

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I've been to a few weddings recently where a couple of the men have turned up in jeans and a t-shirt. I'd definitely say smart trousers and a shirt, no tie is fine.

• M
    Beginner March 2016
    MrsMtobe2016 ·
    • Hide content

Perhaps I'm a little more formal/traditonal than i like to believe......

I would be very disappointed if anyone turned up in jeans. I did go to a wedding where the men changed into chinos and T shirts with low necks for the evening. I was horrified!

x

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

When we go to weddings as evening guests, OH wears a light-coloured suit, including jacket and shirt, but no tie.

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

For an evening OH quite commonly wears smart jeans and a casual shirt. I wouldn't blink if this was the case at mine!

• Runnergirl
    Beginner November 2015
    Runnergirl ·
    • Hide content

Wear what you would wear to party, my guests can wear what they want, I won't bat an eyelid, as long as they enjoy themselves

• Bobbys_Girl
    Beginner October 2017
    Bobbys_Girl ·
    • Hide content

Yep smart trousers and shirt. I wouldn't bat an eyelid to smart jeans and shirt. My oh has been to wedding receptions in them. Nobody could have cared less, well not that I noticed anyway.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics