Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Aimée
Beginner July 2023 Lothian & Borders

Evening buffet time (no wedding breakfast)

Aimée, 17 of November of 2020 at 23:05 Posted on Planning 0 3
Hi

My OH and I have to decide to have a private ceremony (just the two of us) and invite our guests for an evening reception later on. Thinking of starting this around 5pm with a cocktail hour before we arrive.
We will do a wee handfasting ceremony after we arrive, as well as have a couple of speeches, do the first dance and cut the cake (not necessarily in that order).
This obviously means we won't be having a wedding breakfast and instead will be serving a buffet for all our guests.
Question is, what time should we serve this? And at what point? Before the dancing/party starts? Part-way through (whilst the band take a break maybe?). I've only ever been to weddings that follow the set wedding breakfast then buffet later on for evening guests but since the buffet will be the main meal/dinner should it be served earlier than normal? Any advice? Anyone doing/done something similar? TIA

3 replies

Latest activity by PhotographybyBillHaddon, 18 of November of 2020 at 17:13
  • Charlotte
    Dedicated February 2022 South East London
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

It's totally up to you! I would be inclined to follow a semi-traditional: ceremony (hand-fasting), reception drinks (your cocktail hour), buffet, cake cutting, first dance, dancing.

Are you having toasts/speeches? I would either put those in the cocktail hour or between that and the buffet.

Does your cocktail hour have canapes? If so, maybe it would be better to have the buffet in the band's break.

• Aimée
    Beginner July 2023 Lothian & Borders
    Aimée ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We're not planning to have a lot of formal speeches, just a couple of readings maybe. Not sure about canapés yet but I was thinking about that. Just don't want to leave the buffet until too late because obviously we won't be having the wedding breakfast which I guess is usually around 4pm. I guess canapés early on then buffet a bit later is a good idea though. Will have to see if budget will allow both. Thanks for the advice!
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

I see it as

Arrive at 4.00 for drinks welcome, handfasting at 5.00, flowed by speeches cake cut and first dance at 6.00 -6.30 depending on the lengh of the handfasting and speeches. Serve buffet at 7.30pm which should fit in with the bands break.

I would advise that canapés are not designed to keep people going in the way that you are thinking, unless you have a massive constant supply, they are little bites of taste.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics