Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

kizzi10000
Beginner August 2016

Dress alterations - time needed?

kizzi10000, 6 of June of 2016 at 22:55 Posted on Planning 0 6

So, having bought my dress (shop sample) a year ago I had 3 st to shift to be where I wanted to be and be able to get in it properly. Fast forward a year, and I still don't have much less than 3 st to lose ?. BUT, having wrestled myself into it earlier, and exerted much contortion trying to lace it up myself, backwards, in a mirror, it appears I have changed shape ?. Only now I have too much back fat and not enough bust.... ?

I was hoping to avoid alteration costs by shortening the dress myself (when you're only 5 ft 2 there's a lot to shorten!), but it looks like I may well need help adjusting the shape of the bodice now. My needle skills are good, but not THAT good, given the time left lol.

So I was wondering, for those who have had alterations done, how long do they need? I'm still on a mission to shift the belly, and my bust is the usual place it goes from first, so can see me being a really odd shape, and I'm not sure it will be rectifiable by the lacing alone. Any guestimates on cost would be fab too ta x

6 replies

Latest activity by kizzi10000, 7 of June of 2016 at 17:14
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

The seamstress from the bridal shop altered my sample dress. Lace mermaid so a few layers to shorten. The shoulder straps were too long and had to be shortened. They also put new lacing in the inside corset and the necessary to bustle the train. I paid 120.00

I would find a couple of seamstress options and let them have a look and give you a quote. Good luck.

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

Im having my straps shortened and about an inch off the bottom (off multiple tulle layers) together with a bustle being added on. Ive got my fitting this Thursday (so 4 weeks before wedding). Its cost me £35.

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

I bought my dress of the peg at Wed2B and took it to get the alterations done a couple of weeks ago - it will be ready 2 weeks before my wedding and has cost me £90.

All I'm having done is it taking in at the waist and my bum - due to the style of my dress, the bust couldn't be altered much. Then, the seamstress is taking the jewels off my belt and sewing them to the dress.

• TrixieSaurus
    Beginner August 2016
    TrixieSaurus ·
    • Hide content

Also bought my dress (sample) a year ago! And my wedding is same date as yours! (*PANIC* I'm running out of time!! ? ) I'm having it taken up an inch or 2, a hoop sewn in and taken in 2 sizes. I've been quoted £140 so far. I have loads of other stuff I want to do to the dress too so that'll be probably the same again.... ?

They told me I needed to start in May/June (only because they knew I wanted to make some changes to the dress too). I'm going back for a fitting on 25th.

It really depends how busy the seamstress is, but the shop I went to (local to me in Bedfordshire) were really accommodating. They did an excellent job fitting me in for a bridesmaid dress last minute for my friend's wedding (dress didn't arrive til mid-April and the wedding was on 30th! To boot the dress was also ordered for another girl originally and had to be taken in and taken up and some bra loops sewn in.

Good luck! Smiley smile

Edit to add - it's about 3 hours work so far - my dress has about 12 layers!! (what was I thinking? I'm going to suffocate in that thing!), and they charge around £45/hour for wedding dresses.

• Sweeties
    Beginner November 2016
    Sweeties ·
    • Hide content

The place I've brought my dress from, use a lady for alterations and she charges £95, which covers 3 fittings. 8 weeks, 6 weeks and 4 weeks before the wedding.

I felt this was quite reasonable.

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone ?. Don't need to panic just yet then, but will put the feelers out to see if there's anyone who can do it. Can't remember the name of the person the shop work with (though she's not in-house), but will ask if I can't find them/anyone through the community FB page

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Tell me about it!!! One minute there's months to go, next minute, just weeks. And so much to do!

Good luck to you too ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics