Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner July 2016

Decorating venue staircase

Leelee85, 15 of June of 2015 at 17:32 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hi Ladies,

I would like some creative input if possible.

Our reception venue has a beautiful staircase which we are allowed to decorate how ever we want (with the exception of balloons and candles).

Here is a picture of it plain

Here is a dressed stair case as well

I'd rather not go with flowers as I don't think I have the budget.

My colours are navy with a hint of fuschia, so my initial thoughts are a navy chiffon material loosely wrapped around the banisters and entwined with fairy lights. or maybe some lanterns trailing up the stairs with led tea lights in it. In pink(?)

Thoughts??

Thanks ladies x

3 replies

Latest activity by Leelee85, 15 of June of 2015 at 21:20
  • S
    Beginner May 2015
    sarah.jones ·
    • Hide content

Oooooh what a beautiful staircase. I can see all flowers would be expensive. If you are doing this yourself have you thought about collecting greenery from yours & friends & family's garden, ivy would be ideal & just interspersing with a few flowers. Ive done this on my staircase at Christmas .... nowhere near as fantastic a staircase but I do live in a 4 storey house so there was plenty of it. It cost literally nothing compared to having it done professionally. Whereabouts is this I'd love to help you out !

• L
    Beginner May 2016
    luckysparkle ·
    • Hide content

How about doing the ivy and a few flowers as suggested and maybe some fairly lights in there too

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Agree its a beautiful staircase, and wouldn't look odd being left as it is. If you want to decorate, the navy chiffon and fairy lights would look lovely.

I bought lengths of organza from ebay and they were advertised as table runners, chair sashes and also pew end bows (all the same product). They were about 2-3m long and about 50cm wide and could be used to wind around the rails. From memory they were each hemmed. You can also buy bolts of material, but with such a large staircase, you would need to cut lengths as you go along, rather than trying to unwind the bolt and wrap around the staircase as is. You could also make the material into large bows every few plinths.

Do check that there is an electrical socket near to the railing for the fairy lights, and that the cord can reach it without being a trip hazard. Look for fairy lights that have a plug on each where you can piggy back additional sets onto the initial fairy light set- the end of one set slots into the begininng of the next leaving 1 enormous length of lights. That way, you'd only need 1 socket at the end of a very long string of lights, rather than at each set of lights. Again, having shorter lengths are much easier to wind around, than an enormous bunch of lights, which may not even fit through the bannister.

I also like the idea of ivy and fairy lights, if you know someone wanting the clear their fence of ivy!

• L
    Beginner July 2016
    Leelee85 ·
    • Hide content

Good thinking on the checks, If not and I do go with Fairy lights, I might have to get the ones with battery packs.

Ebay will be my friend for all my decorations no doubt.

Thanks for such fab replies!! xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics