Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tracy2012
Beginner June 2012

Decorating church

Tracy2012, 16 of March of 2012 at 11:10 Posted on Planning 0 14

Those of you who are having a church wedding, I was wondering how you are going to decorate it? Are you going with real flowers, artificial ones, pew ends etc? I can't decide how I want ours done. Spoke to our vicar as well and he said decorate it however you like (not much help!) and that some people don't bother at all.

14 replies

Latest activity by leni-lw!, 17 of March of 2012 at 10:25
  • M
    Beginner May 2013
    Missusp2b ·
    • Hide content

My MIL will be in charge of this, but i think she is going to use small wicker hearts with flowers intwined in them for the pew ends and instead of having lots of expensive flowers she is going to fill it with scented candles for a really intimate feel. We'll have some flowers, but less than most people may choose because we're trying to think of ways to economise

x

• S
    SarahThompson ·
    • Hide content

Hi

When I got married in church the decorations (flowers etc) were actually sorted by the ladies that usually did that sort of thing at the church. They seemed to have a rota of which ladies did it when, I believe we had a say in the colours used (so it wouldnt look "odd" with our theme) but if I remember rightly, they went with mainly white so that any weddings before and after us used the same flowers saving having to "mix" in everyones colours Smiley smile

• becomingmrsevans
    Beginner August 2012
    becomingmrsevans ·
    • Hide content

We're keeping ours quite simple - the church is beautiful and don't want to overpower it with lots of things, plus will help us with costs. We're having two pedestals of real flowers (all others flowers are going to be artificial) to stand either side of the altar. Then we are growing our own lavender which will be used for pewends with just some white ribbon, nothing fancy.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Not having anything specifically for the church, its such a beautiful church that I want to keep it simple both for the look and keep cost down.

• anothermrsjones
    Beginner July 2012
    anothermrsjones ·
    • Hide content

We have got a pedestal and an altar decoration and a few arrangements for the windows. MIL is making bow things for the pew ends too. But it's my Gran's church so we're leaving it all there for the Sunday service and my Gran has swapped her day on the flower rota so most of it would be done anyway.

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

We arent having anything for a few reasons:

The normal church flowers will be there anyway.

THe church is beautiful without in my opinion.

We are on a tight budget.

Our church says we HAVE to leave the flowers, cant take them on to the reception, which I think is a bit off! Has anyone else had this?

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

I'm thinking of getting some organza bows for the pew ends and i might buy some lavender plants if i can find them still in flower and put those in the church.

To be honest though i'm not bothering with all that much. the church is beautifully plain and simple and i don't want to take away from that.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

A few churches do this as they see it as a donation to the church. Which is fair enough in my opinion.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We didn't do anything, the church already had a few displays at the altar and font.

• T
    Tricialen ·
    • Hide content

We're having two pedestals of real flowers (all others flowers are going to be artificial) to stand either side of the altar.

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

We had an arrangement on a shelf behond the altar one either side, a bird cage on at the front of the altar with a love sign and cadles, roses on lectern and music stand and ivory bow pew ends.

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

I am having a church wedding and cannot attach things to the pews that would cause any mark or damage. So I have bought pull bows in our wedding colours and will use a hook of florist/craft wire to attach them by hanging over pew ends.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Does the church mean that you have to have the flowers that would normally be placed in the church and you can't take those... understandably, or do they mean you have to pay for all the flowers done by the flower ladies and you can't take those - again this is understandable as they are normally done for a set fee or less than your florist would charge or, does they mean that if you pay for a florist to do the church flowers for you, you can't take those to the reception?

Usually, flowers will be in church anyway. I've never known of a church not having flowers on display except during Lent even when people aren't getting married. The church ladies do them every week.

If the church ladies do them for you and you are asked to donate to the cost or pay a set fee, they normally insist on them being left in the church for the rest of the week for the benefit of other parishioners.

If you have paid for a florist to do your flowers independently, then strictly speaking you should be allowed to take those with you to the reception as they are your property. This is, of course, provided that your florist has used all her own equipment i.e., used her pedestal stands and not those belonging the church. It depends on your florist as to whether she will transfer them for you because this means she will have to hang around until after the service is finished which could be over an hour. If she has another wedding on that day, this may not be possible.

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

We only had 2 pew ends and what was already at the altar_ this is the only pic really we have of the altar...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics