Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

flowersinherhair
Beginner April 2014

Comparing Essex wedding venues....

flowersinherhair, 19 of January of 2013 at 10:00 Posted on Planning 0 21

So we have started the search for a venue! We have quite a low budget so are having to be careful with what we choose.

Have looked at three already, the only one we liked out of those was The Reid Rooms, we loved it there! The big downside is that the dancefloor is another room and there is barely any space for chairs, we don't want everyone in different rooms during the reception.

We were supposed to be looking at The Old Rectory in Brentwood, Crondon Park and Prested Hall (Venue Hire only) today but the snow has scuppered those plans! I love the look of The Old Rectory, especially at those prices!

Can anyone tell me of any experiences they have had of the above venues? Was thinking of Fennes too but can't find their prices anywhere which leads me to believe they are expensive, anyone know their prices? We are wanting to marry midweek in April 2014 and have a barbecue or hog roast instead of a sit down meal.

21 replies

Latest activity by CinematicWedding, 30 of January of 2013 at 10:25
  • *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

We looked at Crondon Park amd loved it. The only reason we didn't go ahead was because in the end we decided to marry in my hometown, 60 miles away.

Service was great, gorgeous setting (would work well for a BBQ).

No clue on prices for the Fennes but they're probably not chep, as you suspected.

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

Ahh okay, that's really helpful thank you. I love the look of it - did you get any idea of prices or not get that far?

Have fun with your wedding ?

• <3FutureMrsN<3
    Beginner March 2016
    <3FutureMrsN<3 ·
    • Hide content

I don't know about those but as an Essex bride my self I can tell you the prices for Crabbs Barn. I recently got their brochure through and was very surprised by the cost! Was very low!

Beginner August 2013
    *PrincessMeMa* ·
    • Hide content

That's exactly what we thought about the Reid Rooms. I didn't want the oldies in another room to those who wanted to dance etc. I know my nan loves to watch what goes on, so it would be a shame not to have her in the same room

We've chosen the Room in the Rodings... All is one room, and cheaper than its sister Reid Rooms.

• Ola
    Beginner February 2014
    Ola ·
    • Hide content

I am also getting married in Essex and viewed same place as you. You should look at oldrectory...it was nice just too small for me and i want a dry hire as i need 2 combine both nigerian and english chefs...So I am stuck between Hylands House in Chelmsford or Valentines Mansion in redbridge.

I did not like the reid rooms cos of the separation but a famlily friend is getting married there in may....

You could try Ashwells in Brentwood...

• <3FutureMrsN<3
    Beginner March 2016
    <3FutureMrsN<3 ·
    • Hide content

Ola, Vaulty Manor in Maldon, Essex do dry hire ? Just so you don't have the choice of only 2 venues ?

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I can't comment about dry hire but my mum got married at Fennes a couple of years ago and they did her a BBQ instead of a sit down meal and it was lovely. I've know Fennes do good last minute packages, and I reckon you should be ale to get a good price for a midweek wedding.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

we costed up a Friday in September, and for full on wedding breakfast and evening buffet, it was £10k.

But with a Wednesday in April, having one meal instead of two, you could definitely get that down.

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

Just found this on their website:

http://www.fennes.co.uk/75/special-offers/offer/1/venue-only-hire

Looks like it could be quite expensive for dry hire in advance.

• Ola
    Beginner February 2014
    Ola ·
    • Hide content

Sorry 4 late reply...I want somwhere quite central to london and essex as my family live in london and H2B are from brentwood. Vaulty manor seems quite far...

thnx

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

I've covered the Old Rectory, tbh I can't say anything bad about it at all. Nice venue for exclusive use. Lots of places for photo ops and generally good prices.

• Stacey_S
    Beginner June 2013
    Stacey_S ·
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding at the Reid Rooms and it did feel very separated, everyone was everywhere in the different rooms and there were not many people on the dancefloor.

I think Fennes is quite expensive but if you sign up to their newsletter they do send through special offers.

I would recommend looking at Crabbs Barn as well or Friern Manor. I ended up going with Orsett Hall myself. xx

• mickeyandminnie
    Beginner July 2015
    mickeyandminnie ·
    • Hide content

Fennes cheap - on a weekday!

We're getting married in Crondon - they have an open day on Sunday (we'll be there at some point!) - i'd recommend going then so you can see it in all its glory - then book another appointment for 1 on 1 consultation if you like it Smiley smile I love Crondon and they do fantastic packages so you can keep within your budget Smiley smile

• Ola
    Beginner February 2014
    Ola ·
    • Hide content

I recieved the OldRectory brochure and the prices were so good. I went there to see it and the guy said I could no longer hire it out for £2000 for the day that they only did an all inclusive wedding package and my quote was almost 7 grand...I just got up and left. Everything was the opposite of the brochure..

• E
    Beginner October 2013
    Emma158 ·
    • Hide content

Scully82 I was thinking exactly the same thing; I started having venue wobbles when i read this post as we are getting married at The Reid Rooms too! I love it too though-the setting is beautiful and my friend went to a wedding there before Christmas and said she couldn't fault it at all- (she's quite vocal too so I'd know if she hated it haha)

x

• Andy_Magicman
    Andy_Magicman ·
    • Hide content

I have either performed at or attended weddings at most of the venues mentioned. For those of you that are having venue wobbles about The Reid Rooms then don't worry. It is a fantastic venue and works really well. I have been at many weddings where the dance floor is separate and this tends to work really well as not everybody wants to be around the dance floor. As for the other venues mentioned, there are some great ones. The old rectory is lovely. The best advice I can give is go with your gut as you will fall in love with one and don't let anyone put you off.

Andy Jamieson Close Up Magician

• Andy_Magicman
    Andy_Magicman ·
    • Hide content

For those of you having venue wobbles about the Reid Rooms then don't. I have performed at several events and weddings there and it is a fantastic venue and the different rooms work really well.

Andy Jamieson Close Up Magician

• CinematicWedding
    CinematicWedding ·
    • Hide content

Hi Sarah,

The Fennes can be very reasonably priced, if you're willing to be flexible about your day/date. VERY reasonable!

If you're happy to have a midweek wedding, give them a call...

Pete x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics