Cold, clammy baby with snotty nose. What should I do?

Join the conversation!

Chat and get advice from other brides-to-be.

Register for free Sign in to reply
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Posted: 8 Jun 2008 20:56

Cold, clammy baby with snotty nose. What should I do?

Noah's got a very bunged up nose atm - the snot has been pouring (and bubbling) out of it all day. He feels really cold and clammy to touch, his temp seems to be about 35.7.

What does a low temp mean and how should I treat it? He's in bed with a 1 tog grobag, fan on to circulate air but not pointing at him and a karvol plug-in thing. We've just given him some neurofen because he woke up 1.5 hours after being put to bed and he was quite distressed, which is unlike him.

Is it just a cold or should I be worried? Any other symptoms I should keep an eye out for?

Sorry if this is a silly question, feeling every inch the novice mummy that I am...

• Posted: 8 Jun 2008 21:38

Re: Cold, clammy baby with snotty nose. What should I do?

If he feels cold and his temp is low I think I would turn the fan off to start with. Perhaps put a think blanket over his to see if he warms up a bit? However, sometimes when they have been too warm they can feel cold and clammy I think. Could you ring NHSdirect and get some advice? I am sure it is just a cold though. Hug

• Posted: 8 Jun 2008 21:43

my mum gave me best advice ever when son was baby...mother's instinct is stronger than anything and if in doubt ask doctor. He/she may think you're being hyper sensitive but at end of day if you need to call a doc because you are worried then so be it. it's their job, they get paid for it.

Better safe than sorry, nhs direct can be useful and will give you best advice if you don't want to call doctor out.

Usually it's high temp that creates need for concern-you aren't only one to be panicky etc, first time motherhood is scary!!

• Posted: 8 Jun 2008 22:22

Was he asleep when you took his temperature? harry's temperaure always drops really low at night. As long as he hasnt got a high temperature i think he will be ok.Both my boys are full of a cold too :(

• Posted: 9 Jun 2008 9:31

How is he this morning Smillie? Alex is similar, though not as snotty this morning as he has been for a week or so. We had a temp of 38.6 the other night, now it's low. I think he's teething but want to make sure it's nothing else and H has gone to work and I can't get him.

• Posted: 9 Jun 2008 10:41

Thanks for the replies, the night wasn't as bad as I expected but he still felt cold to touch whenever I felt him (while H and I were boiling and kicking covers off etc).

JM, he's ok in himself now but he has just had a 2.5 hr nap... He was pretty miserable when he woke up this morning and was clammy/sweaty. We gave him some calpol and he slept next to me, feeding intermittently for 2.5 hours, he kept crying in his sleep which broke my heart. He's still very snotty but it seems to be bothering him less now he's upright IYSWIM. It has occured to me it could be teething - he's got some other symptoms - but I know that could take weeks. How's Alex doing?

• Posted: 9 Jun 2008 11:28

Hi, he seems to be OK now but temp still low too. We had a night like yours too, two nights now. H doesn't seem worried about his temp as long as he's alert when he's awake and OK in himself (anticipating a lot of sleep following very little last night). Fairly sure it is teeth here - just hope they appear soon for all our sakes.

Hope N picks up - it's rubbish when they're hurting.

Return to: Baby Talk
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)