Can you have too many tomatoes?

Join the conversation!

Chat and get advice from other brides-to-be.

Register for free Sign in to reply
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Posted: 12 Sep 2008 12:07

Can you have too many tomatoes?

C loves them!  I gave her one straight off the tomato plant earlier and about 1 minute later it was all gone.  So she had another 5!

She won't get ill or anything will she if I buy a big boxful and she wants lots?

• Posted: 12 Sep 2008 12:10

Re: Can you have too many tomatoes?

I dont think so (within reason), but they can be quite acidic - even the really sweet ones! - and so lotsand lots may upset her tummy if eaten by themselves in bulk.

Everything in moderation, I sayBig Smile

• Posted: 12 Sep 2008 12:14

As FM said, they can be acidic which may upset her tummy, and can also cause nappy rash. M will eat as many tomatoes as you put in front of him, but he generally only gets about 6 cherry tomatoes or 1 big one per day for that reason. Although when I turned my back for a sec on the patio he'd picked one himself and popped it in his mouth! I think it's so great when you have a chance to show them about real food (ie, where it comes from) this early in life.

• Posted: 12 Sep 2008 12:16

Great thanks, shall moderate her eating then!

The trouble I have with the plants at the moment is that lots of the tomatoes are still green and I'm worried they're not going to ripen before it gets too cold.

• Posted: 12 Sep 2008 12:20

If you have a glut of green toms which probably won't ripen now, pick them and make green tom chutney to wheel out with the cold turkey at Xmas! Stick out tongue [/domestic goddess]

• Posted: 12 Sep 2008 12:23

Return to: Baby Talk
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)