Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Christopherballphoto

Boudoir Photography

Christopherballphoto, 12 of October of 2009 at 13:59 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hello all

I'm a photographer based in Manchester and have been toying with the idea of providing some boudoir style shoots for all the brides to be. I have a very different approach to shooting this style of work as i come from a fashion background, so it would involve stylists, mua etc, but my way is more erotic than boudoir, it just seems to be the term thats used.

I feel the images should be sexy and provocative and not just "nice" almost certainly cheeky as well, but i would like to approach it from a fashion angle and a bit more rock n roll if you like. My question to all the brides to be is, how would you feel having your photograph taken in this style by a male photographer. Obviously i've admitted i'm a male but would like to think people are comfortable with me doing the shoot for it to be a success. Hopefully my work speaks for itself, some of you may have seen it before and i have done a few of these shoots before and they went extremely well and the clients felt very comfortable even in some very provocative poses. I'm just doing a larger bit of research really to get everyones opinion.

Any comments would be a great help

Chris

10 replies

Latest activity by The BFG, 13 of October of 2009 at 18:57
  • The BFG
    Beginner August 2010
    The BFG ·
    • Hide content

There is a photographer local to me that does something very similar ( kind of how to look good naked thing) he has had alot of sucsess with this, and his shots are very tastefull, he does shoots for couples, or people on thier own as gifts for partners etc, he invites you to bring along a friend for moral support, his wife is also often present (as she co-owns the business) its all very relaxed and on the clients terms, so long as its tastefull and in the comfort zone of your client then i think you should do well!

• Christopherballphoto
    Christopherballphoto ·
    • Hide content

Hi Lorna

Thanks for your feedback. Yeah I'm not fortunate to be married yet myself so i don't have a partner to accompany me on the shoots, but i do have my team of stylists and mua which should help in keeping clients feel more at ease. I always talk through the shoot, ideas etc before hand as well which calms the nerves

Thanks again for the advice

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I've just had a boudoir session done and can definitely say I would not have done it with a male photographer. I'm not a prude but wouldn't have felt comfortable. I don't really like the sound of your style, I don't mean that to sound nasty, but I'm sure some would and maybe if someone is that brave a male photographer wouldn't bother them.

I was braver than I expected once the nerves wore off ?.

I hope your new business ventures works well.

L

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

As wedding photographers based in Warrington (with a male photographer) we offer this, but its never really taken off. Any that we do have are chaperoned by myself, but its not something we really market as its not that profitable to us. There are a lot of female photographers who do excellent Boudoir shoots in the local area that I'd prefer to recommend.

HTH x

• nicky167
    Beginner September 2009
    nicky167 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sorry, but I agree with PG. I've had one done & wouldn't have felt at all comfortable with a male photographer.

• jen52637
    Beginner
    jen52637 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with PG and Nicky!

I'd be too self-conscious in front of a guy (although to be honest, they'd probably be less judgemental about figures than women a lot of the time)! ?

• jem179
    Beginner May 2010
    jem179 ·
    • Hide content

I would be comfortable with a male photographer, it doesn't bother me at all! However, I'm not sure how happy I would be with the more erotic style you're suggesting though. I'm not a prude by any means but I think you would need someone to be totally relaxed with you as a photographer and with how they look to be able to do it. I think if it was a more relaxed or suggestive style where the person being photographed could go as far as they felt comfortable you might still get the erotic shots without anyone feeling pressured do do anything they weren't happy about.

• bluewater
    Beginner August 2009
    bluewater ·
    • Hide content

WEES. would feel very uncomfortable getting nekkid in front of a man other than my H.

however, have you considered trash/treasure the dress? that would probably be more profitable with your background as a fashion photographer.

• Christopherballphoto
    Christopherballphoto ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all your feedback, it kind of speaks for itself the response, so its something i may not persue. When i mentioned erotica it was more like suggesting classy and sophisticated fashion style nude shoots, i wasn't meaning leather and latex. The reason i thought of this style is that i'm not really that into soft focus shots and shots that are very dark with fur rugs etc, i prefer more sharper and riskier images that really do show off the female form. I also used to be a high end retoucher for an advertising agency and we retouched campaigns for various cosmetics companies, so i always make sure the images are flattering considering i like to keep them sharp.

I still have some of these shoots booked in up until january, so i will still do them, but i just wanted to see if it has legs or will i run out of clients that don't mind getting naked in front of a male photographer. In the meantime i'll stick with the portraits and weddings i think.

Thanks again for the feedback

• F
    Beginner December 2009
    fvj199 ·
    • Hide content

For your own protection you might want to consider encouraging a third (female) person to be in the room with you. As a nurse I'm often asked to sit in with male doctors who want me there for their own reassurance so that no false allegations can be made. It's sad but those are the times we live in.

• The BFG
    Beginner August 2010
    The BFG ·
    • Hide content

Good-luck with your future projects

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics