Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner December 2021 Oxfordshire

Asking guests to walk to reception

Charlotte, 28 of July of 2020 at 16:39 Posted on Planning 1 6
Hi all,

Would appreciate your thoughts please. We’re having a December wedding in a church with the reception in the hotel down the road. And by down the road, you can literally see it from the church. According to google maps it’s a 0.3 mile walk and will take 7 minutes. We keep thinking we should put on transport in case the weather is bad but then it’ll cost a lot of money for 118 guests when it might be dry and it’s really not far. There is some parking outside the church so it is possible for some to drive themselves. Would it be unacceptable to ask guests to make their own way to the reception, come rain or shine?!
Thanks in advance!!

6 replies

Latest activity by Alaister, 11 of August of 2020 at 16:13
  • B
    Beginner May 2023 North Yorkshire
    Britney ·
    • Hide content

I'd personally ask the guests to make their own way to the reception. You're already inviting them to one of the most important days of your life and paying for entertainment, their food etc. so I don't think it's much to ask of them!

• HappyPinkHair15172
    Dedicated September 2022 Merseyside
    HappyPinkHair15172 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Charlotte

Usually, guests would make their own way between Church and reception venue, and wouldn't think twice about it. I really wouldn't worry about it, if the weather is really pants (fingers crossed, it's not), they can always car share or get a taxi. After all, they will be making their own way to the Church in the first instance!

We're getting married in a National Trust property which does not have any public transport links, so our guests know that they will have to either drive or get a taxi, but we are laying on a coach to our reception due to the distance. The only reason we are able to do that is that my best friend runs a small transport company and this is his wedding present to us. If it wasn't for that, we wouldn't be doing it!

You could always put an information card in with your invites which outlines anything you think your guests might need to know, a bit like the Americans do with their multi-layered "invitation suites" that they are so keen on!

Other than that, I would assume that as they are all adults, they can make their own arrangements, you have WAY too much to do already, like looking amazing and happy on your special day!

Hope this helps.

Ali xx

• C
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you Britney!! I just needed some reassurance that I wasn’t be completely unreasonable! X
  • C
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you Ali, and for the tip on guest information, I will do just that so there are no surprises and (hopefully!) no grumbles on the day! X
  • C
    Beginner October 2021 Essex
    Callieco ·
    • Hide content

I'm doing the same thing, and I think it's fine. I can't imagine being a guest at a wedding and expecting transport for such a short distance, tbh.

• Alaister
    Beginner February 2015 West London
    Alaister ·
    • Hide content

Hi Charlotte,

I think you should not spend money in transport as the distance is very small. Even the guest can see that. One thing you can do is that you either can put some quotes banners or stands. So that travelling to such small distance will be fun and even the guest will also feel good. It will be like a pleasant experience for them. I know it sounds little different, you have to work little more but different things and little hard work here make a good impression too.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics