Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G

Anyone know Offerton, Stockport?

giddy, 31 of March of 2009 at 21:37 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 3

Hello

I'm house hunting and have just found one online in Offerton, Stockport. I don't know anything about the area. What can you tell me??!

3 replies

Latest activity by giddy, 1 of April of 2009 at 21:39
  • D
    Beginner June 2005
    Deano ·
    • Hide content

Hiya,

My step daughter lives in Offerton, it's an ok area, schools aren't great if you have young children to consider.

I take it that you're relocating, we live in Cheadle Hulme, schools are excellent & there's loads of pubs & a train station for commuting.

HTH

• Nichola80
    Nichola80 ·
    • Hide content

It's not a place I would choose! I did one of my teaching practices there back in 2000 and it wasn't great. I think they school I worked in is now shut though.

There are fare nicer areas close by.

• Ms. Scarlett
    Beginner April 2007
    Ms. Scarlett ·
    • Hide content

I was born there. It's a fairly solid working-class area, ethnically quite homogenous (Stockport in general is not very multi-cultural). I imagine crime rates are quite a bit higher than the national average, espcially burglary/car theft. The schools won't be great although Stockport Grammar is nearby (private). Pubs round there tend to be pretty rough and there isn't really anywhere nearby for a nice night out (Stockport town centre is close by but there's nowhere good to go out there). Transport connections are very good - decent bus network and you're close to the train station, from where it's about 15 mins to Manchester. I imagine property prices are pretty reasonable so it would be a good place for a first time buyer.

There are certainly nicer places to live in Stockport and around, but generally you will get less for your money. Edgeley is close by and quite similar, if perhaps a bit nicer - I would live there in preference to Offerton actually. Cheadle Hulme is much nicer and also quite central, but that will be much more expensive - ditto the Four Heatons, although you could look at Heaton Mersey. Reddish is also a working-class area, a bit more vibrant perhaps, but with its share of social problems. Bramhall is the beginning of Footballers' Wives territory. Looking towards South Manchester, Didsbury is young and funky (excellent nightlife, lots of students), Longsight and Levenshulme with very high crime rates, gangs, shootings etc.

Hope that helps!

• G
    giddy ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much!

Its what i thought actually. The house was too good to be true, very good price, amazing accommodation, had to be a less than perfect area! Think I'll cancel the appointment to view that one.

The rest that we're looking at are in Cheadle Hulme (more expensive for less house) and in Marple - slightly better value, but probably a less cosmopolitan area.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics