Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D

Any advice on making the family back off?

DebRez, 29 of August of 2012 at 21:41 Posted on Planning 0 31

Hey

Me and my fiance have been together for five years. We met at a rock climbing competition when I was 18 and he was 17. We had a long distance relationship for about a year and then went to the same college and we're still together 5 awesome years later. I love him so much. We're both pretty introverted people, we have close friends, but we're not the most out going. It has brought us closer together because despite our shyness, we're both really adventurous and we've taken on a lot. We both dropped out of college work crappy jobs along side our sponsored climbing jobs then we save it all up and go mountain climbing around the world. We travel around for competitions and we're constantly looking for the newest adventure to take.

I'm 23 and he's 22. We recently decided to get married. We have a sponsored mountain climb in India in December and when we reach the top, we're going to tie the knot. We're doing it with three other people. One has been ordained as a minister for it.

This is perfect for us. We're in the environment we love the most doing something we absolutely adore. We can't really think of a better place to get married. We don't want to be in front of a crowd (we are admittedly shy and introverted) and there will only be 5 of us and they'll all being doing jobs (minister, photographs and making sure we aren't going to die) and that's perfect. Obviously there will be no pretentious dresses and or suits, I've never worn a dress by choice in my life and haven't worn one over age 5. My fiance doesn't like dressing in suits and he's much the same as me and it was both our idea to do it this way. In a way it was a very arbitrary decision. Marriage is what it's all about, not the wedding. I think weddings are kinda pointless and laughably over planned to the extent that it just deviates from the point. It's like an excuse for attention rather than the beginning of a life together and this wedding isn't a big deal to us. If anything it's a parody of a wedding, yet it's still something we'll look back on and enjoy after a long time of being a committed couple.

Simple, right? Sure, with his parents who are okay with it and just want a couple of nice photos.... not so much with mine.

My parents only had me. They had me late late and my mom is 65 and dad 67. I'm a year younger than my oldest niece. My family don't like my lifestyle and although they're polite to my fiance, they don't like him much. My mom and aunts were saying that they thought once I'm an adult and I meet a guy, I'll become more normal and they think that he's keeping me this way. She was always disappointed that I'm not a girly girl and she wasn't too happy about our plans when I announced them. It started out with the silent treatment which I didn't understand. It wasn't until my family started heaping on that she started telling me how she really feels.

She's angry and upset that her only daughter is getting married and that she or the family isn't going to be there. It's also given my fiance a worse reputation with my family too. She's upset that she doesn't get to go out shopping for dresses or help plan the wedding and doesn't get to see me go through some stupid ceremony. She wants to make table plans and watch me try on dresses. Going through my wedding albums and basically doing all this family stuff. I've had a phone call from nearly every single family member I have telling me how selfish I am, how I'm not thinking of the family. Telling me it's a stupid idea and asking "How come you can't just be normal for once?!". Telling me that a wedding is a family event and getting all personal, as though they're not invited because there's something wrong with me. They're calling me immature and saying I need to grow up. Apparently life isn't about travelling around climbing and it's about responsibility and hard work. They're saying that I need to move on, go back to college and get a real job. It's getting to be more than about the wedding.

They don't seem to realize that I don't want any of that. I hate dresses and make-up. When was the last time you saw me wearing either, mom? Bridesmaids? I have 2 female friends, and even they aren't close enough friends to be bridesmaids. All my close friends are male. Planning a wedding? Buying dresses? C'mon... Can you see me going through one of those ego fests?

Not to mention my babe and his family. I feel bad because this was supposed to just be a simple thing and they don't deserve any of this.

I was expecting a lot of laughter between the 5 of us during the whole thing. The guy who has been ordained is one of the funniest people I know. I'd be really disappointed if he didn't make the whole thing a third mountain climb/wedding/comedy act. Wouldn't want some humorless priest making a big sentimental deal out of it. It's our wedding, we should be having fun, right?

I need your help - There're three questions:

#1 - There must be people on here who have had ideas for weddings that haven't gone over well with the family. Maybe not the same as mine, but is there anything that you can tell me to help? Is there any way of appeasing them? Getting them to come around to our plans?

#2 - How come this is such a big deal? The fact is - I'M HAPPY! I don't take weddings seriously, like I said, I think they're over planned and ridiculous and that's just not me. I enjoy a quiet life and pursuing my passion. My fiance is my partner, we don't need a ridiculous wedding to prove we love each other. The things we've done over the past five years is enough proof that we're ready to make this commitment. Why is it such a big deal and why go to this level of insanity over it? Why do people care?

#3 - Should we just run and do it anyway? I still love my family, but I don't think they have the right to do this. I think I'll say that we'll do the wedding normally and then just get married on the damn mountain and then tell them after.

I don't know where to turn. My fiance's head must be ready to explode. He doesn't know what to do. He doesn't want a regular wedding, but he said that he's so desperate for my family to not hate him that he doesn't want to give them some ammo against him. He's sticking up for me, but he's really trying hard to be diplomatic about it and not as assertive as me. I just need some advice. I don't know why this forum. It's wedding related, I typed in wedding forum and I found this place.

Anything?

31 replies

Latest activity by *Mini*, 31 of August of 2012 at 18:11
  • SummerLouiseLewis
    Beginner September 2013
    SummerLouiseLewis ·
    • Hide content

Have been looking at this post and thinking of a way to reply to it, considering i'm having a so called "ridiculous, pretentious ego-fests" you seem to hate so much, to celebrate the commitment we are making. I definitely don't think of it like as an ego-fest, but never mind.

If you want it your way, then that's fair enough. but you don't seem to understand how your mum would feel. Yes they shouldn't be having a go at you, it's really not the whole families business. BUT your mum will be upset, if you are the only child, and she is a typical mum who wants to share in the experience. My mum would hate it if i did it without her and i wouldn't want to do that, even tho i hate the idea of being surrounded by a bunch of people groping at me.But that's just me.

Obviously you can't please everyone... my friends didn't want a big wedding, and had their friend do the marriage bit, but just had a party after to celebrate... didn't feel like a wedding at all... you could just have something to celebrate...

• C
    Beginner March 2013
    Chedi ·
    • Hide content

Why are you getting married? What does it mean to you to 'be married'? To me its the joining of two families, loving each other that you want to become your own family and the celebration of this. If you don't really care enough about your family to want them to celebrate with you then why do you care about what they think?

If they are what you care about, why dont you do what others do who marry abroad and have a celebration back home? You dont need to have bridesmaids, you dont even needto wear a suit or dress or make-up for it either.

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

I have to say, the fact that your first post is basically insulting the majority of people on here, i wouldn't expect the replies to be all that sympathetic

that being said, it does seem like you're set on your idea and don't want to change it - not that that's a bad thing, but it just means i'm not sure what advice to really give

i haven't got any personal experience to give advice from anyway but i think because of the wedding you're going to have, there isn't really much you can do in the way of appeasing them - you can't invite them, there is nothing that needs to be made/bought that they could help with, so i don't really know

could you have a small celebration when you're back - even just something at a local pub, just to get everyone together and at least feel like they were able to celebrate your marriage with you? i don't think they are being fair with the things they are saying to you, but i think it shows that it does mean a lot to them and involving them in even the smallest way that you can - if you can - might be nice for them

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Either a spammer or someone seriously unable to judge an audience.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can't get your mates ordained as ministers in the UK - do you know this is a UK wedding forum?

• cinnamonfairy
    Rockstar June 2020
    cinnamonfairy ·
    • Hide content

I do have to point out that the above comments can be taken the wrong way. Fair enough you've got an opinion, but there are quite a few of us having these 'excuses for attention, overplanned and ridiculous ego fests', and personally, I am offended. Your wedding is what you want to make of it, and I don't think its right to judge if people want to have the big elaborate 'invite everyone weddings' or a small intimate ceremony like you want.

*gets off box*

It's your marriage, your day. So have it whatever way you want it.

• rachel2012
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

Is this even a real post??

If it is, im sorry to say I think you have got some growing up to do, as it has been said a marriage is about bringing two families together and if you cant see why the people that brought you up, cared for you and gave you a start in life that has made it possible to follow your dreams would be upset then you have alot to learn, Im not saying that you shouldnt have the wedding you want, as everyone dereves that, but at the same time I certainly wouldnt insult you, by calling your wedding laughable and pointless as you have done to most to brides on here, myself included. If you want to run away go for it but steel yourslef for some back lash as you are there ONLY child and this could be there only chance to see you get married which as a parent myself is a massive thing.

• karenanne229
    Beginner October 2013
    karenanne229 ·
    • Hide content

This is a very rude post! I think if it is real then the OP needs to think about the fact that she's probably just upset (or p*ss*d off!) most of the people on here. It is a wedding planning forum after all. We are planning our "ridiculous" weddings! GRUMP!

As this is a forum to help people my advice would be compromise. Have your wedding your way and then perhaps a party with the families to celebrate. This may get your mum off your back.

I would just say I feel a little offended that you think that everyone who has a wedding (which for me is a way to celebrate our love with friends and family, bringing them together in a celebration and not a chance to show off or have an ego fest!) is using it as a chance to show off. Everyone is entitled to do what they want to do. I am not judging you for what you are deciding to do so PLEASE DO JUDGE US. We are having what we want. There are better ways to word these things. Perhaps you should consider that before posting again.

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This!! I don't think you're going to get the advice you're looking for by posting on a site full of people excited about planning their "ridiculous, pretentious ego-fests"
  • L
    Beginner June 2013
    LC to be ·
    • Hide content

It's a shame that your family aren't supportive but at the same time I can't blame them. It would be very hard to not even be invited to your daughter's wedding!!

If you really do want to get married on the mountain (I'm assuming your parents would struggle to get up it), have you thought about having a small celebration after wards, with yours and his families there? This could be some very small compensation that they're not there.

I also agree with the other comments, a marriage, although ultimately about you two making a declaration to each other, is also about two families coming together, and to not have them involved at all is a bit sad.

If you're not into the big wedding thing, there's nothing stopping you just having yours and his parents there as well as your friends.

I would feel insulted as your mum that your friends can watch and be involved but she can't.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to ignore all the insulting comments and give you the same advice I would give anyone else in this situation: if you don't want your family at your wedding then fine, but you have to accept the consequences and potential fallout. I know my parents would be devastated to not be at my wedding, and when I.have children I would be devastated if I couldn't see them get married. For most mothers, seeing their child get married is one of the biggest days of their own life. Saying that, I can imagine it doesn't help that your mum seems to be constantly criticising your lifestyle and wanting you to be something you're not, which suggests that she isn't going to change even if you give her the wedding that she wants.

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content

I'm quite looking forward to my ego fest tbh.

• hazyclaire
    Beginner November 2012
    hazyclaire ·
    • Hide content

You've made it clear in your post that you don't care about their feelings, so why not just tell them that and cut them out of your life as well as your wedding?!

Sorry for the lack of sympathy, I'm not interested in being having my wedding (or ridiculous ego fest) insulted by self centred and rude people - I get enough of that in real life thanks

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mine was amazing. It was all about ME! And the husband.

Oh and the families. And our fantastic friends. And all our lovely suppliers.

So egotistical.

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    LC to be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

haha ?

I don't think mine will really be all about Me Me Me....it's more about just spending time with all my close family and friends that I'm looking forward to

And I'm sure the majority on here will say that was/will be the best bit about theres too

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content

Mine will just be ME wearing a pretty dress with pictures of ME with everyone looking at ME and people telling ME I look amazing.

There will be some guy at the altar with ME, but no one will be looking at him, only ME

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

FaeBelle 13- LOL!!!

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    LC to be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hahaha, this just made me laugh out loud in work - whoops

• C
    Beginner June 2013
    Cette2301 ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, I reckon its a troll too - just trying to provoke a reaction out of people. IGNORE IGNORE IGNORE.

You can't marry in India unless you've lived there for over 30 days first anyway.

Maybe Debs should spend less time judging everyone else, and more time RESEARCHING and stuff - doesn't take a genius to check what would be required before making bold claims that can't ever happen anyway!

• C
    Beginner June 2013
    Cette2301 ·
    • Hide content

P.s. Forgot to add - what mountain in India? India's mountains are nothing special TBH. If you're as good as you claim to be, surely you'd want to do your "amazing sponsored climb" in Nepal or something. I would definitely research this more if I was you.

Maybe come back in a few years Sweetie, when you've grown up a bit.

• hannahlock4
    Beginner January 2013
    hannahlock4 ·
    • Hide content

?

I don't get it...why are you causing drama for no reason?

If this is true.... ( ? )

or have flowers - wear a tracksuit & carry an asda bag if that makes you feel less ME ME ME, say as little as possible with no music, no cake, no guests, you'll be in out within 15 minutes. Mum's happy 'cos she got to see her only child get married. Fiances happy 'cos he'll be less hated by the in-laws & you're certainly happy because when you step out you'll be married and 'that's what it's all about'.....

Then go up your mountain for honeymoon....

• K
    Beginner September 2012
    KimB1980 ·
    • Hide content

Anyone else notice the distinct lack of response from OP?

• BadgerBeetle
    Beginner November 2012
    BadgerBeetle ·
    • Hide content

Spammer methinks....

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

Insanity has obviously taken over me. I already feel totally ashamed of my pretentious dress and my ridiculous, pointless and laughably overly planned day. Of course it's all about attention. I don't love my OH I just want everybody to coo over me looking pretty in my aforementioned pretentious dress. The thought of some humourless priest making a big sentimental deal out of my day is also just ridiculous. Why wouldn't I want someone to crack jokes all the way through when I'm trying to do something serious, and as I said before, I don't love my OH so why would I want any sentimentality involved.

Spammy spammy troll!

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Must be a spammer. Cant imagine anyone can be silly enough to critisise (and be really rude about) the type of weddings which most people on here are having to the people who are having them!

Or maybe they really are that silly? OP, are you out there?!

• samwiches
    Beginner August 2013
    samwiches ·
    • Hide content

This entire thread has made me snort Pepsi out of my nose and now I can't stop sneezing...

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

• Indiefluff
    Beginner August 2013
    Indiefluff ·
    • Hide content

This has a very big original post, so that is alot of effort to put into trolling. I think it is a genuine post by someone who has no tact whatsoever. Don't post on a wedding forum (full of excited brides to be) about how lame weddings are. Epic fail.

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Maybe that's the point. They don't want to make it too obvious.

• ladyworm
    Beginner October 2012
    ladyworm ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Indiefluff I think you're right, a genuine post by someone with no common sense. I doubt they'll be back though!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No its lifted straight from Yahoo, most of them are.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics