A How-To-Guide to making Button Bouquets.

Join the conversation!

Chat and get advice from other brides-to-be.

Register for free Sign in to reply
Page 1 of 3 (38 items) 123Next >
Sort Posts:
  • Posted: 12 Sep 2010 1:15

A How-To-Guide to making Button Bouquets.

Hoping this will be of some use for some people wanting something different to the traditional flowers.

Firstly, you will need to collect alot of buttons in your colour scheme. Ebay, junk shops, chairty shops, carboots, fabric shops etc will be your best friend! I am also using lace and pearls/beads for mine, aswell as various brooches. I have found that taking apart a cheap flower garland from Asda leaves white fabric flower shapes which work quite well at the bottom of some of the button flowers.

The button flower stems are florist wire, it comes in a range of colours including white, I don't intend on having mine showing when the bouquet is finished. It comes in different sizes. I used 12 inch/20 swg wire. It's easily manipulated and not too thick to fit buttons and beads onto. It's fairly inexpensive, again, Ebay is your best bet.

You need to decide how you want the flowers to look, so do a few mock ups before putting any on the wire. Once you've decided,  bend over a couple of inches of the wire at one end, and thread the top button on first, then the second and so on. I find a maximum of 3-4 buttons to each stem is fine, but it's up to you.

Once you have thread all your buttons for the flower onto the wire, twist the remaining wire as tightly under the bottom button as possible to secure it and repeat with the rest of the button flowers. You can add lace to the bottom of these too, I use a hot glue gun to attach the lace underneath the bottom button once thread onto the wire.

Some finished button flowers -

There are probably a number of ways of turning your button flowers into a bouquet but I have decided to use La duette oasis bouquet holders. (Dry ones, not wet).

(This pic is just a mock up which I threaded onto my pomander base)

Any gaps will be filled with lace and beads threaded onto craft wire. I'll use organza ribbon or nice vintage lace to cover the underneath part of the oasis and secure the florists wire to form a 'handle', which will be tightly covered in matching ribbon. I have no pics of a finished one as mine isn't at that stage yet - I still need LOTS more buttons to complete it.

Here are examples of how it should/could turn out -

Hope this helps some DIY Brides-to-be!

Nat x

Posted: 12 Sep 2010 7:59

Re: A How-To-Guide to making Button Bouquets.

Hey hun, those are brillaint tutorial.. i am thinking making small version for my flowergirl, in all sort of Pink colours..

I love it! Big Smile

Elizaxxx

• Posted: 12 Sep 2010 8:20

I seen this on the Etsy site and seriously considered doing one but not sure if I have the time with an 8 month old rampaging over the place lol. 

• Posted: 12 Sep 2010 9:50

thats the most informative post ive ever read....lol bloody marvellous! thank you for sharing....

I dont need a button bouquet but you are sending my mind into creative overdrive...

now what could i make with buttons i wonder...hmmm.... lol

Posted: 12 Sep 2010 9:59

Thanks BrideBrat, this is just what i need, i can start mine now just have to get wire and a few more buttons.

Yours is looking fabulous, just hope mine turns out just as nice.

Keep us updated cannot wait to see the finished bouquet. Big Smile

• Posted: 12 Sep 2010 12:49

Got your message last night STBMRSEVANS, through email.. Couldn't work our for the life of me how to reply lol! Glad you found the post though :)

Teehee - Tell me about it, I'm so into buttons at the moment, I've just bought some silver button earrings, they're so cute!! Any odd coloured buttons that I wont use I've been sticking to my wedding scrapbook pages to jazz them up and keep in with the button theme I seem to have adopted. Think I may try a buttonhole for the dudes soon, not sure how to make it masculine though :/

Posted: 12 Sep 2010 13:22

Thanks again for you help....it took me ages to find out how to mess you ha ha.  I'm thinking of doing button holes for the men aswell, but i'm know what u mean about making it masculine!!!!! i am also gonna attempt to make small ones of mine for my bridesmaides. all i do is look for buttons my H2B sick of me got buttons all over ha ha. xxx

• Posted: 12 Sep 2010 14:13

Nobody was keen on my button bouquet idea, but now both Mums have come round to the idea, MIL2B has bought most of my buttons for me, bless her. H2B reaaaaally wasn't keen but he likes what I've done so far. You'll have to put pics up of yours as you do it, and especially of the buttonholes if you make some.. I need inspiration! H2B has said no to every googled button buttonhole pic so far.. Can see his point, they look a bit too girly or tacky lol (Says the girl with a mass of buttons infront of her!)

Posted: 12 Sep 2010 15:47

ha ha, i will be like that soon just ordered a load off good old ebay, my mam lobes the idea as does my sister (CBM), and dont have a MIL to worry about.  Istill dont know how i'm gonna do button holes will prob just have to have a play about and hope H2B likes them....lol. xxxx

• Posted: 12 Sep 2010 21:06

Absolute patience of a saint to make that! I can't wait to see your finished bouquet. x

• Posted: 15 Sep 2010 23:44

Anybody else having a go at making their own? Would love to see! (even just seeing the buttons, Im button mad at the mo!)

• Posted: 16 Sep 2010 8:09

I am planning on making my own - collecting bits at the moment and when i have enough stuff to start I will put a few things together. Still decideding on the colour of my bouquet either yellow or blue, so collecting both colours at the moment! My bouquet won't just be buttons though I plan to add fabric flowers, beaded flowers and shells too so its going to be a bit of a mix. Love the idea of adding sparkly broaches as well but haven't seen any cheep, nice ones yet. I also want to make the bridesmaid one into a bag so my friend can use it on the day for her bits and keep for the future. My bouquet I plan to have a secret pocket in for things I may want rather than an actual bag. Haven't quite worked out how I will do this yet, but figure a few prototypes and I'll have it sussed.

BrideBrat I have some white/cream buttons you can have if you want to send me your address to post them too.

• Posted: 16 Sep 2010 9:07

I'm not sure about mine yet but I'm making my bridesmaids button pomander/bags (ivory). I'm using polystyrene spheres (sp?) though for the shape - which are hollow i.e. to make the space for the bag and then I'm using satin to cover it (and make the drawstring bag bit) and then I'm sewing the buttons/flowers onto the satin. I'm making one first just to check I'm happy with the overall look and then will make the other 3. I'm currently at the stage of lining it, then I can start attaching buttons! I'll try doing a flash at some point soon when I get the chance!

As for me I'm undecided - dont like the idea of a bouquet as I feel they just get in the way but I will need something to hold! Might just make myself a pomander/bag as well but in pink to match the BMs.

Need to get cracking as I go through creative phases so need to make the most of it so I dont run out of time!

xxx

Posted: 16 Sep 2010 9:43

There are probably a number of ways of turning your button flowers into a bouquet but I have decided to use La duette oasis bouquet holders. (Dry ones, not wet).

Hi BrideBrat. great idea, how you gonna attach the buttons!!!! are you gonna cut the wire and just slot them in foam!!!!

• Posted: 16 Sep 2010 17:29

I've just had some bits and bobs arrive in the post, including the bouquet oasis, some tiny fake baby's breath flowers with pearls on and some pearl headed pins to attach lace etc to the bouquet too.

STBMRSEVANS - Yeah, I'll cut the button flowers down quite alot, with maybe 2 inches of wire left. I did some mock ones to make sure they stayed firmly in place in some Dry oasis I had and it works perfectly! :D

raincloud:

BrideBrat I have some white/cream buttons you can have if you want to send me your address to post them too.

So kind of you! We should have a button swap on here as I buy buttons in bulk packs sometimes which come with other colours, if everyone writes down what colours they are using we could get a swap shop going. BlondeViki very kindly sent me a load of white/cream buttons too - Hitchers are so kind!

Return to: Wedding Planning
Page 1 of 3 (38 items) 123Next >