Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner June 2021 Buckinghamshire

80's vintage for something different?

Sarah, 10 of August of 2020 at 23:06 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi Everyone! Wedding is on hold until next year , which is fine by me with the way things are .. But I would really like your brutally honest opinion please , I'm quite taken with the idea of an 80's retro dress (cringes!) ... I just like the over the top ball gown style .. So , could I have your comments on these please , honestly no offence taken , if you think they are vile then say so rather then trying to be polite lol .. Thank you! x

Sarah

80's vintage for something different? 1

80's vintage for something different? 2

9 replies

Latest activity by Nathalie@ButtercupBus_Campervan_Weddings, 5 of September of 2020 at 08:31
  • HappyPinkHair15172
    Dedicated September 2022 Merseyside
    HappyPinkHair15172 ·
    • Hide content

Hi there, Sarah!

Congratulations on your wedding, and for going for something totally different!

I got married for the first time in early 1991, and my dress was a traditional late 80's satin ballgown. (will try and up load a pic for laughs!)

Of the two you have posted, I prefer the first one as it is a true 80's gown. The second is probably around the turn of the millennium, I think. Are you planning on customising or wearing as is? If I am being totally honest, the second one looks a bit duvet-like to me, although others might disagree!

If you are going for the 80's look, what accessories are you planning?

TTFN,
    Ali

• HappyPinkHair15172
    HappyPinkHair15172 ·
    • Hide content
    80's vintage for something different? 3
    I'm the bride here. March 1991, satin jacquard gown with scalloped hem, cuffs and shoulder ruffle. It had a scooped back and a hooped Underskirt for total volume. Had to walk sideways through doors!
    It was an end of line Berketex Brides gown, so designed in the late 80s.

Hope this helps/doesn't give you nightmares! Ali xx
  • S
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love that style, just really want something 'different', going off the second one I posted ... any thoughts?

• HappyPinkHair15172
    HappyPinkHair15172 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Sarah

I love the first one!

The main thing to remember is that vintage dresses were constructed differently, so they don’t usually have any architecture to them like a modern dress. You will need to wear a bra or basque under it, or have it adapted with bust cups.

In turn, this might affect how you can customise the dress. Personally, I would wear it as it is, maybe replace a hooped underskirt with a layered tulle one if you don’t want the skirt too rigid.

I think if you alter it too much, you would loose the overall design and vintage vibe. Best bet is to find a good seamstress and go from there.

80s hugs!

Ali xx

• C
    Beginner May 2021 Cheshire
    Caroline ·
    • Hide content
    Congratulations on your wedding, it'll come around quickly enough!
    Out of the two dresses, the 1st is my favourite. Reminds me of my 1st wedding dress in 1993. Is that one designed by Alfred Angelo by any chance??Why not go retro! Its something fun and different!
    Good luck!
  • S
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks, Caroline yeah a lot of people would hate it, but the bigger and shinier the better for me! What did you think of the second one? Had a couple of PM's saying its pretty horrible lol

S x

• C
    Beginner May 2021 Cheshire
    Caroline ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I dont dislike it. To me its not as '80s'. They are two totally different styles!
    Im a bit of a magpie and I like shiny things too, number 1 is just a bit more 'wow' to me!
    I've just bought my dress for my 2nd wedding. Simple in style and shape (I've done the enormous dress!) but very heavily beaded. Go sparkly! When else do you get the opportunity?C x
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

If it's 80s style you're going for, I'd say it has to be the first one as it is very 80s. The second dress looks like a more recent vintage to me.

• Nathalie@ButtercupBus_Campervan_Weddings
    Nathalie@ButtercupBus_Campervan_Weddings ·
    • Hide content
    I prefer the first one. How far are you extending the 80s theme into the day? You could have so much fun with this!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics