Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Curious June 2022 Cambridgeshire

2021 weddings

Expensivepurplebridesmaid50886, 10 of September of 2020 at 22:55 Posted on Planning 0 38
Hiya,

My partner and I had to postpone our 2020 wedding because of covid and have moved it to June 2021. With the new government restrictions starting on Monday I’ve become really anxious about next year and I’m feeling really worried that we will have to cancel our wedding again or only be able to have 30 guests.
How is everyone else feeling about it and what are your thoughts on 2021 weddings?

38 replies

Latest activity by L M, 22 of May of 2021 at 09:20
  • Voiceoftruth
    Dedicated October 2021 Oxfordshire
    Voiceoftruth ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married in October 2021. If there are still limitations on the number of people, we will still go ahead. I want to marry my fiance and I know that any guests we have to "uninvite" will completely understand how things stand.

(I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that there won't be the same restrictions though!)

• C
    West Sussex
    Chris ·
    • Hide content

June is 9 months away and we've been in this for 6 months. There's also three vaccines on the horizon before year end.

I wouldn't be worrying.

• SunnyPurpleCakes85894
    Beginner April 2022
    SunnyPurpleCakes85894 ·
    • Hide content

I'm anxious too, really hope that it all gets sorted. Ours should have been for April this year, was rearranged with just weeks to go. I rebooked for April 2021 but as the date approaches I'm becoming increasingly worried.

I do wonder if the restrictions are still in place to see if Marriott will allow us to push back the reception further so that people can attend when it's all over and just have a small wedding service itself. We are all paid up for the Marriott's minimums etc and obviously if restrictions are in place they would lose out on more takings such as bar etc.

I will probably look again around Christmas and see where we are.

Tough choices ahead made harder with my maid of honour living in Canada and my sister, auntie and cousin living in Australia with their families.

• E
    Expensivepurplebridesmaid50886 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have good and bad days, sometimes I feel really optimistic but then other days worry that come next year we will be in the same situation we have all been in this year.

We too have lots of family coming over from abroad, I’ve kind of accepted that they won’t be able to come next year and then if they can come it will be a bonus. I’m really hoping the restrictions would have lifted a bit more. I just keep thinking we’re 6 months in to this and we’re aloud to have 30 at a wedding... 6 months from now we may even be able to have a few more guests and music.
    We have decided that what ever happens we’ll be getting married next year but I must admit that I will be completely devastated if we can’t have a celebratory reception in the evening with music and dancing. For me that is an important part of a wedding day, both families coming together and celebrating the marriage.
  • K
    Beginner February 2022 South East London
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content

I completely share your pain! Our wedding is booked for the end of February 2021 (booked pre-COVID) and we're getting increasingly anxious that there'll still be restrictions and social distancing in place. We refuse to compromise on our big day (why should we, it's the best day of our lives and we want it exactly how we'd originally planned it!) so we're going to wait a couple more months and then make a decision whether or not to move it to 2022 (sadly no other availability at our venue for 2021!) My gut feel is that our wedding date is very much on the borderline of when things may start to get better again as it would be late winter/early spring. If it was summer/autumn 2021 I would feel more confident so I'd try not to worry just yet if yours is around that time! Good luck to everyone and lets hope things improve soon! x

• E
    Beginner October 2021
    ExpensiveBlueConfetti45673 ·
    • Hide content
    I’m due to get married in March 2021 and I’m worried about it going ahead. I’m fine with 30 at the church but our reception is for 70. Our current venue won’t allow weddings if 30 so it’s either warm it to see if it changed or move dates. It’s so up in the air I do t know about you but all the worry is taking the magic out of our plans x
  • E
    Beginner October 2021
    ExpensiveBlueConfetti45673 ·
    • Hide content
    I agree with Kirsty - if our wedding was summer next year I wouldn’t be worrying too much ?
  • K
    Curious July 2022 Derbyshire
    Kristy ·
    • Hide content

This is a nice forum to see how other brides-to-be are feeling. I think it depends on the location of your venue and the planning involved, I think England should be fine by next summer (fingers crossed). Me and my fiance were due to get married this May in Florida, and when we had to cancel we lost the money we had paid to the wedding planner, and it took months to get our money back on the flights and holiday itself.

We hadn't been planning long because we want a really small wedding so we didn't have to let a lot of people down, however I'm nervous about next year because albeit 9 months - year away I'm not sure if we'll be able to fly - or where we'll be able to fly - so we haven't re-booked our wedding yet at all, and are waiting until after winter.

• RomanticOrangeCars21835
    Beginner July 2021
    RomanticOrangeCars21835 ·
    • Hide content

I am in a similar boat. We are getting married in Cyprus in July 2021 and some days i am optimistic and think we will be absolutely fine. Other days i am the exact opposite. We are 7 months from when it really started to hit us and with every day that passes there are more restrictions popping up and travel nightmares left, right & centre. All of our flights are booked and paid for and the thought of a repeat of this summer with travel chaos fills me with utter dread. I am due to go to Cyprus in 2 weeks for wedding planning but i cancelled purely due to the risks we could potentially face with quarantine & the logistical nightmare with kids at school etc so i feel a bit out of sorts having to do it all from a laptop. Equally, we are blessed with our health and so a wedding, where and when, will be a lovely celebration.

• ExpensivePinkFlowers63608
    Savvy April 2021 Somerset
    ExpensivePinkFlowers63608 ·
    • Hide content

Should be fine by June I would hope. This can't drag on and on, it's affects everything too much.

I was due to get married in April this year. We postponed until 20th Sep (literally four days away now!) but postponed again because all this 'no dancing/no joy' stuff is... urgh. No. Not a celebration. New date is April 2021. My brother and his gf decided this'd be a good time to have a baby so now he won't be coming to my wedding at all. I'm fed up of all of it.

• D
    Beginner November 2021 Greater Manchester
    Dee31415 ·
    • Hide content
    I feel your pain! We’re March 2021 and the big grey cloud of doubt is getting bigger and bigger for me!
    We’ve said if current restrictions are still in place we’ll go ahead with 30 but I just know I’ll be so disappointed to not have a big celebration like we’ve always imagined.

My little sliver of hope is that with them bringing this “rule of 6” in now they’ve left weddings as 30 so my optimistic side is telling me that maybe they’ll be pushing to keep getting weddings back on track to “normal” ASAP as it’s such a huge part of the economy....(?) We can hope!
  • F
    Beginner July 2021
    FL2020 ·
    • Hide content

We moved ours from August this year to July 2021. With the way the virus is spreading and restrictions kicking it further down the road I’m about 80% sure there will restrictions in July and we’ve started planning for reduced numbers and no party. It’s really taken all the fun out of it but at the end of the day I’d rather keep family safe than have a big wedding and risk someone falling ill.

• L
    Beginner August 2021 Essex
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    I’m booked for August 2021 & very nervous as time goes on with a second lockdown !
  • Melissa
    Beginner July 2021 Central & Glasgow
    Melissa ·
    • Hide content
    Ours is march 2021 and tbh I'm planning as normal for now, after speaking to wedding coordinator that's their advice as "a lot can change in 6 months" was her words. But sitting with the anxiety is so hard!.
  • R
    Beginner April 2021 East Sussex
    Rebecca ·
    • Hide content

Our was 6 June 2020 so we postponed to 10 April 2021 but after them saying today we will have 6 months of this up and down I can't see (sorry to sound doom and gloom) how we will suddenly go to large wedding parties.

Our venue has no other dates for 2021 so its whether we make the call now before everyone does and move to 2022. What a total pain.

• Stephanie
    Beginner April 2022 Somerset
    Stephanie ·
    • Hide content

It’s nice to see I’m not the only one getting frustrated by this! I sometimes get a why me moment but I guess we are all in the same boat. My partners very much “it’s just a part of life” about it all..
    Fingers crossed things return to normal soon
  • H
    Dedicated May 2022
    HappyGoldBridesmaid18836 ·
    • Hide content
    We’ve booked our wedding for May 2021 and I’m also getting increasingly anxious. I’m considering rebooking for 2022 before the dates get booked up. It sounds frivolous but I would like to celebrate my marriage with my friends and family. I would also be unhappy with guests needing to wear face masks and my uncle not being able to give me away. I work in care do have to wear a face mask at work so don’t particularly want to have face masks at our wedding.

It’s all so uncertain.
  • SunnyPurpleCakes85894
    Beginner April 2022
    SunnyPurpleCakes85894 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It really is, an then hearing that today it may be cut to 15. It's all just a nightmare.

I'm hoping that ill get to speak to the wedding coordinator at the Marriott soon, I understand that obviously at the moment she's on furlough. I'm in the situation myself. I think in the end that even that will end up getting postponed to possibly having the event the year after. If that does happen ill either still have the ceremony that date or even just move the date up and go and get married in Gretna.

Its the not knowing now that is getting really frustrating.

• E
    Expensivepurplebridesmaid50886 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We just don’t know what to do. We’re both in our early 30s and had planned to start trying for a baby once our June 2020 wedding was out of the way. When we rebooked for 2021 we decided to wait another year but now there are more restrictions coming in it feels like we’ll be in the same situation next year. We are now considering moving the wedding AGAIN to 2022 and try for a baby now. Such a hard call
  • SunnyPurpleCakes85894
    Beginner April 2022
    SunnyPurpleCakes85894 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This sounds like our situation exactly. I think we are just going to start trying now or in the next few months.

It's such an awful situation to be in.

• E
    Savvy October 2021 Oxfordshire
    ExpensiveGreenDiamonds59574 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is my situation now I’m in my late 30s and we were planning a destination wedding for this month which got cancelled. We decided to wait a year and now I have no confidence that they’ll be any sort of bigger weddings next year. I’m considering pushing to 2022 and trying for a baby now. I’m just so frustrated now.
  • R
    Rebecca ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Have you decided what to do re today's government update? We are rescheduled to April 2021 from this June. Just interested to know what others are doing!

• K
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We have pretty much decided that we are going to postpone our wedding from February 2021 till February 2022 which seems like aaaaages away. Unfortunately our venue doesn't have any other 2021 dates available but we'd rather wait till 2022 and have the wedding we had planned than compromise on anything. Its all so rubbish at the moment, my heart goes out to everyone having to make these decisions!

• K
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I completely understand your frustration. We are pushing ours back till February 2022 (from Feb 2021) but I will be nearly 35 by then so we are considering trying for a baby now instead as we don't want to put our entire life on hold. I'm just trying to get my head around what it would be like to have a young baby at our wedding but I would much rather that than have a wedding in Feb 2021 with so many rules and restrictions in place.

• R
    Rebecca ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha well I am in my 40's so as each delay happens...the older I look!!

• C
    Curious September 2021 Nottinghamshire
    Caroline ·
    • Hide content

I feel like things would be easier if they were more sensible in who was included in the guests numbers. Why venue and catering staff are excluded but a vicar and photographer would be. Doesn't help small wedding businesses.

• L
    Beginner August 2021 Essex
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    I’m in the same position as some of you. Delaying the wedding puts the baby planning back a year also so we might do that first although that wasn’t the plan !!
  • SunnyPurpleCakes85894
    Beginner April 2022
    SunnyPurpleCakes85894 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly especially when a photographer tends to stay out of the way of guests etc. I just hope over the coming months they'll let us all know how things are progressing.

• H
    Dedicated May 2022
    HappyGoldBridesmaid18836 ·
    • Hide content
    Yesterday’s announcement sealed the deal for us and we’ve pushed our wedding back to May 2022. It seems like ages away but I’d rather postpone it than have the anxiety of wondering whether we’ll be able to proceed.
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I imagine it's because catering staff are only around to hand out and collect the plates, so not in the room long, but an officiant/minister will be in the room for the entire ceremony (and longer if they are invited as a guest) while the photographer will be there all day. So either of those has a much higher chance of transmitting virus.

• S
    Curious January 2021
    SunnyGoldConfetti509 ·
    • Hide content
    We were meant to have our wedding in July this year and pushed it back until August 2021, but now we’re thinking of pushing it back again or at least a bigger celebration. I think there’s just too much uncertainty at the moment. Even if they have a vaccine by the end of the year, who’s to say it’ll have gone through enough testing to be completely efficient?
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you have a photographer then you are only left with 10 guests. Registrars are always a 2 person team + the wedding couple + meSmiley amazing leaves 10 guests.

Something that has not been mentioned is that the vicar at a Church also works with the verger / warden on the wedding day. Is the warden being classed as staff just as the reception staff are ?

Also its 15 including the registrars for the ceremony but then they leave so you could have two more guests then attend the reception.

I am wondering if photographers and video are included in the numbers to stop you designating extra family as photographers and video, 2 of each can get you 4 more guests. But somehow I feel I am affording the policy makers far too much credit to have put that much thought into it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics