Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Gone With The Whinge
Beginner July 2011

anti-aging cream recs, please

Gone With The Whinge, 22 of February of 2009 at 21:08 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 11

I turned 25 last year and I'm starting to notice hints of lines on my forehead/round my eyes. I currently used Clinique Dramatically Different moisturiser and Pore Minimiser in the morning, and their Total Turnaround serum a couple of nights a week, but I was wondering about a proper anti-aging product (I'm sure I read you should start using one at around 25, is that right?).

I've not tried a lot of brands other than Clinique (I know opinion is divided on them, but it has always worked really well for me) - but I don't get on well with Lancome; their products seem to sit on my skin and make it greasy. I've heard good things about Philosophy's Hope in a Jar; has anyone tried that? And is it worth investing in a separate eye cream?

I have fair skin that's prone to T-zone dryness and blackheads, if that makes a difference.

All reccomendations greatly received ?

11 replies

Latest activity by HappyYellowHair8410, 10 of June of 2020 at 12:31
  • Rache
    Beginner January 2004
    Rache ·
    • Hide content

It really doesn't matter as long as it has SPFs in it, and plenty of them. My colleague who does cosmetic work swears by a brand called Skinceuticals though they're not cheap (too dear for me). I use Clarins Super Restorative Day Cream with SPF30. Any decent mid range brand should have a nice anti ageing cream with SPFs - I tend to trust the European and especially the French brands as Parisiennes have been obsessed with their skins for years - Clarins, Sisley, Chanel, Guinot. If you're spending money go to a department store or Boots get them to give you a little sample - most will even give you a small pot or tube - I got four free tubes at Clarins in Boots last week. I've used Clarins for years, since I was a student who couldn't really afford to, and I've been a huge fan since then. They really have lovely products and they're not too expensive. Also because they're fairly mainstream you can get friends to get them tax free for you at the airport, or buy them online. I can really recommend using a facial oil, btw, my skin sounds similar to yours, and it's been so much better since using the Clarins sandalwood face oil before my night cream.

• Sare
    Beginner September 2002
    Sare ·
    • Hide content

I got a free sample of the now legendary Protect and Perfect serum from Boots. Didn't believe the hype one bit but wow, I could see a difference from the first time I used it. Don't know about long term, but it certainly improved my skin whilst I used it. I'm trying to justify buying a full size one but it's so much more than I'd normally pay.

• Gone With The Whinge
    Beginner July 2011
    Gone With The Whinge ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Rache. I hadn't thought of Chanel, but my sister practically owns shares in it ? so I wonder if she has a bit I can try. I think I feel a trip to Rackhams coming on to blag some samples...

Sare, I had forgotten about that Boots one. If it helps you to justify your purchase, I've downgraded moisturisers a few times when I've been low on pennies, and I have to say that I've not been impressed. I do think they are worth the money (well, maybe not Creme de la Mer!).

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Rache - high SPF is the thing. Lately my skin has been pretty good, and I've been using Lush salty exfoliator in the mornings (Ocean Salt, it's called), followed by P&P and an SPF moisturiser, then Cetaphil cleanser and any old night cream in the evening.

• Gone With The Whinge
    Beginner July 2011
    Gone With The Whinge ·
    • Hide content

I can't be without a good exfoliator. I've made my own from salt and oil in the past.

I will see if I can get hold of a P&P sample. Thanks again all!

• Rache
    Beginner January 2004
    Rache ·
    • Hide content

As a cleanser I use emulsifying ointment (huge tub from any pharmacist, less than £3 - you need to ask for it) which is like putting vaseline on your face, then use a hot flannel to remove it. It's basically Eve Lom but a twentieth of the price. Keep the expensive stuff for daytime moisturising/ sun protection.

• RubyBlue
    Beginner May 2008
    RubyBlue ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to highjack GWTW, but I too have been having similar ponderings about my 26yr old skin. Do you cleanse? I think it's about time I started taking more care of my face...at the moment it's basically a foaming wash which removes (most of) my eye make-up and then any old moisturer. DO you use a separate eye make-up remover? Also, are creams with spf not incredibly heavy?

?

• QueenBee
    Beginner November 2008
    QueenBee ·
    • Hide content

When i did a beauty course years ago, it was said that you should splurge on your cleanser and choose one that does a really good job. There is no point using a fabulous moisturiser if your skin is not receptive due to not being clean.

I use a mixture of ranges, when i'm broke i use liz earle cleanse and polish ( i love it) and when i'm flush, i use decleor cleanser, for moisturiser i use decleor hydrafloral or gatineau melatogenine.

I also keep a stash of clarins as it really keeps my skin gorgeous. I tend only to use it in the winter months when my skin needs more hydration.

• Gone With The Whinge
    Beginner July 2011
    Gone With The Whinge ·
    • Hide content

Re. cleansing....I rarely wear much make-up bar lip gloss and mascara, so I usually just use a face wipe at night and then an exfoliating scrub in the morning. If I'm wearing a full face then I have a proper make-up remover.

I think I'm going to look into Clarins.

• Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hijack- just wondered about people's views on the necessity of night cream? I usually just have one moistuiser which I use morning and night- does it make a big difference to have a richer cream for night? I have combination skin, if it's relevant.

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Probably not ?

I guess you can use a heavier moisturiser at night because you don't have to worry about make-up sticking, and I always feel a bit odd using a moisturiser with an SPF at night, but chances are it's all bunkum anyway. Apart from the SPF thing.

• H
    HappyYellowHair8410 ·
    • Hide content

I suggest the best time to use an anti-aging product is in early 30s. At the same time you need to focus your an anti-aging products need to have 10 anti-aging supplements that makes your skin glow and beautiful. The anti-aging supplements generally work on providing your skin with all the necessary nutrients that you may not be getting through your regular meals.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics