Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Breeze

Anyone got one of those little laptops?

Breeze, 31 of December of 2008 at 11:33 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 4

I know nothing about computers really but i do know that my dell laptop is on its last legs. It overheats and blue screens me on a regular basis. I am worried that all laptops would end up having this problem.

So, i need to start thinking about what to get next. H wants a desktop so it lasts longer but i like the fact that i can play on the net or sort our photos whilst watching the tv in the evening and we dont have room for a desktop in the living room.

I mainly use the computer to surf the net or mess around with pics. Would one of those tiny ones do the job? H says they are mainly for web surfing. Would they store pics too? Or would we really need a desktop too? Would they also support our 3 wireless internet? Do you get things like word & excel on them?

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great! Smiley laugh

4 replies

Latest activity by Voldemort, 31 of December of 2008 at 17:40
  • essexmum
    Beginner August 2009
    essexmum ·
    • Hide content

I've got an Acer and although it's great for taking to Uni (as it's so light) I'd never substitute it for my main laptop. The memory on it isn't big enough for a start, you can't download any new applications and the word and excel applications are not the full proper ones. There is also no DVD drive and no way of installing one either, the small keyboard and mouse gets annoying for me as well.

Persoanlly I would opt for a normal sized laptop there are some good deals out there at the moment.

• Breeze
    Breeze ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your reply essexmum. That is just what i needed to know.

Anyone got any advice of what is a good laptop? I dont need many features but i would like it to last.

• H
    Beginner
    Highlandgirl72 ·
    • Hide content

My SIL got her son (he's 10) an Acer Aspire for Christmas. I thought it looked nice on the outside but I didn't like the tiny screen. I would go for a normal sized laptop too.

• C
    Clairebecky ·
    • Hide content

We have bought my son one of the small ones, 2nd hand, for xmas. It's really good, but he only wants it for playing games, surfing the web & the odd bit of homework. H has upgraded the memory so it can store more. Apparently he tells me it has a 'solid state' hard drive which makes it less prone to getting damaged if it is dropped, so good for a 10 yr old!

H has bought ,e a laptop for xmas too. He sells computers for a living so generally knows what is good. He has a Dell himself, but we couldn't afford to get one quite that expensive for me. He has got me a Sony VAIO laptop which I really like. It has a decent sized screen and keyboard which I need as I will be using it for my Uni work. I couldn't do lots of typing or reading on one of those tiny ones.

• Voldemort
    Voldemort ·
    • Hide content

I'm using a Philips freevents x67 to type this now. It's a small laptop but doesn't seem to suffer for it, I can use Word etc on it and it'll run Photoshop with no problems.

It does get a bit hot underneath if I've used it lots but then so do most laptops. I can't play Spore on it but then I wouldn't expect to tbh.

Highly recommended ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics