Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ExpensivePinkFlowers63608
Savvy April 2021 Somerset

Sympathy to my fellow cancelled coronavirus brides!

ExpensivePinkFlowers63608, 1 of April of 2020 at 18:31 Posted on Planning 0 16

Was due to get married on the 19th of April. Hen do was supposed to be this coming Saturday. Fiance's stag do was supposed to be last weekend. Was supposed to have my fitting a couple of days ago.

I hate this horrible coronavirus. We also started a new business at the beginning of March so it's been doubly awful.

My brother proposed to his fiancee in Feb and they got on with things quickly and arranged their wedding this year (October). I got engaged last year and kinda wish I'd also got married last year now!!

Anyway, the venue and all suppliers have been AMAZING and, thank god, we've not lost any money. We've postponed the date to the end of September, although I'm now worrying that even that won't go ahead (so I've booked a back-up date for April next year).

I know worrying about a wedding when there's so much worse happening to people is silly, but thought I'd post here where we can all commiserate together. I know I'm not the only one who's had to cancel.

I'm lucky that all my flowers are dried, but they were delivered the other day and I'm worrying they'll fade. I bought several gifts with the date engraved on - now they'll have to be binned. I keep getting emails from this site telling me how many days left til the wedding, which is a bit depressing! (Reminds me, I'll have to change the date).

So, anyway, anybody else who has had to cancel, I feel your pain.

Anybody with a September date, are you still holding on?

16 replies

Latest activity by Ben, 7 of May of 2021 at 14:05
  • Dancing-Peanut
    Curious September 2021 Kent
    Dancing-Peanut ·
    • Hide content

We rebooked from 4th April to 19th Sept, but now thinking next year would be better.

In the scheme of things we said we would prefer our wedding to be as we want it, not with limited numbers etc, so we are happy to wait.

• ExpensivePinkFlowers63608
    ExpensivePinkFlowers63608 ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, we'd rather have it all calm and how we want, rather than worry about everything.

• S
    Beginner October 2020
    SunnyPinkDecor97438 ·
    • Hide content

We’ve rebooked from 4th April to 18th October, hoping that will be long enough for this to calm down.

• SunnyBrownCars88088
    Beginner July 2020
    SunnyBrownCars88088 ·
    • Hide content

I just posted about what dates to postpone too... we just moved from july till end of september, for various reasons in my other post I'm not keen to wait till next year, but yes we are worried about september and h2b thinks we should have waited till next year... added concern for us is h2b is germsn and we live abroad in dubai so 75% of guests abroad including elderly and at risk people so travel is a big concern for us...

How did you persuade venue to hold a second date?! Our venue have been amazing moving everything at no cost but I suspect couldn't hold a second date for us as they are moving so many weddings at present?!

• S
    Sanjeev-Nanda-official ·
    • Hide content

Heartfelt empathy to everyone forced to cancel their big day due to this awful predicament that has come upon us. I hope you would be able to re-plan your weddings on a future date. Don't lose hope, and just keep the faith strong.
    ~Sanjeev Nanda

• Hide content
    View quoted message

I think because we were due to be their first wedding of this year, and therefore the first effected, the wedding coordinator at the venue has been super helpful and accommodating. Plus we want to get married on a Sunday (our only day off work) and Sunday's aren't too popular I don't think. I rebooked the September date and she said she'd move things around to get us in (the venue does other things besides weddings - they run courses and conferences too), then when I said I was worried for September and asked for a back-up date, she said no problem! Like I say, we've been lucky (!!).

It would've been my hen do tomorrow. Smiley sad

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensivePurpleCakes53263 ·
    • Hide content

I'm so glad you posted this. Was just seacrhing the internet for some support as im really struggling! Ours was due to be 18th april. 1 week to go Smiley sad I feel like i;m waiting for the date to come before I can move on properly. I feel like i;m actually grieving. Havent spoken to anyone other than my H2B about it as feel like there is alot more going on for people right now. I am just so sad. We have re booked for October but I just cant let myself get excited again right now just incase. Trying to look on the bright side of thing but some days it's hard isn't it. x

• HappyPinkHair15172
    Dedicated September 2022 Merseyside
    HappyPinkHair15172 ·
    • Hide content

It IS a big deal when the day you and your partner have worked so hard for and planned meticulously is postponed, for whatever reason.

It is a kind of grieving, it’s still a loss, albeit less dramatic than a loved one falling seriously ill, or worse.

We are due to get married on 19th September, and I have reservations about whether or not we can go ahead. Luckily, we don’t need to send our invites out until mid June, so we do have some breathing room at the moment.

our problem is that our chosen ceremony venue is not holding any more weddings after this year, so we might not be able to get married there at all if we do have to postpone. Our reception venue is a small business, so we are concerned for them, and ourselves, that they might not weather this storm.

Like everyone else, we are keeping everything crossed for a swift end, but realistically, it is going to take months, possibly even years for things to return to “normal”, fully.

We just remain incredibly grateful to everyone who is working so hard, and jeopardising their own health to keep the country running and looking after us all.

Big hugs to all the Brides and Grooms of 2020, and to all who are making our weddings work!

• Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, I'm not getting excited for our new September date. I have a horrible feeling it won't happen. I can't believe our wedding would've only been nine days away. And the weather is glorious too! Gutted. We're still going to celebrate the day somehow - cook a nice meal, dress up nice, take some photos. My fiance is even going to plait my hair for me (I had to teach him how to plait the other day)!

• Hide content
    View quoted message

My new date is 20th September. I'm worried there will be a "second wave" and it'll fall right on September. Our second back up date is 18th April next year. I'm even worried for that.

• HappyPinkHair15172
    Dedicated September 2022 Merseyside
    HappyPinkHair15172 ·
    • Hide content

Yes, we’ve had a discussion this morning about postponing. Our major problem there is that if we can’t get married at our venue before the end of the year, we’ll not be able to get married there at all as they are not renewing their premises license.

Gutted if that happens, as it’s where we met.

Our other concern is if our small business reception venue goes bust.

Headaches and tears all round!

I’m trying to stay positive and upbeat; it must be SO much worse for medium term couples with June and July weddings, wondering whether or not to postpone now or wait and see if this situation improves. Sword of Damocles stuff, damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

BIG HUGS TO YOU ALL.

Ali xx

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Our date is end June, and we currently feel like we have about 6 alternative plans, based on what regulations will be in place at that time!

We also have some complex work/housing issues to sort out which will be affected by when we can move/marry, so that's making it even more complicated. Part of me wishes we could know 'now', but the other part realises that there is no way we can know at this stage that our wedding CAN happen, so knowing know would mean knowing that it can't happen...so then I think I'd rather not know than know it's not happening...argh!

I can understand why so many summer brides are postponing, but for us, that would be problematic, so we're just hanging on and hoping at the moment!

• C
    Somerset
    Chris ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the link.

We have the same problem. When we said we did not want to re-schedule, the Venue quoted a penalty clause, that if it was cancelled within 150 days of the wedding date, the full amount was payable. Added to this was a charge for drinks because they claim this is a loss to company.

We've managed to get a refund from the caterer, but they have added administration charges to the cancellation fee.

• D
    Beginner October 2020 West Midlands
    David ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's absolutely not ok. We learned that the legal guidance on this is that the option of a refund must be just as clearly and easily available as any other options e.g. rescheduling or continuing with radically different wedding on the same date. Telling us that we were not entitled to a refund was actually in breach of consumer protection law. Sounds like you have a fairly clear case here also.

• D
    Beginner October 2020 West Midlands
    David ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh and adding on drinks holds no water whatsoever. They can charge you for things you specifically requested... like building something custom from scratch that they cannot use in their business... but drinks are not an lost investment and are part of their standard business operations... so in no way are you liable for that. Unbelievable. I would get on the refund my wedding.

• C
    Somerset
    Chris ·
    • Hide content

Thanks David,

Contacted Refund my wedding, very fast, very optimistic and detailed response. There's a charge, but's it's reasonable, and no win no fee.

The catering company have now refunded the administration charge after we asked for a breakdown of their administration costs.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics