Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

BigYellowTaxi
Curious August 2022

How to handle bridesmaids?

BigYellowTaxi, 4 of October of 2019 at 16:42 Posted on Planning 0 7

I have 4 bridesmaids inc a maid of honour, but im having a REALLY hard time with it all. Its been the hardest part of all the planning.

My MOH wont reply in the group chat i set up to make it easier, so i have to take everything to her separately.

I asked them all to find 2-3 dresses within the colours and general theme i had given and 3 weeks later they still haven't got a single one each.

They have given ME requirements of what it must have, so im having to do all the searches based on that, and its a real time suck.

I wanted them to all do mix and match as theyre all so different, but they dont like this, so basically want me to find a single dress that is available in both uk8-uk24 that has all their imposed requirements.

And im paying.

Im just really struggling with how to handle it and speak to them without coming across as bratty, i know theyre busy and everyones busy, but i dont actually care what they turn up in so why cant they just take it as an opportunity to go "oh someone else is offering to buy me pretty much whatever dress i want, ill pick one"

How can i politely ask them to look again for dresses, when i know theyre stressed out and busy too, without sounding horrible?

7 replies

Latest activity by SunnyPurpleStationery84612, 28 of October of 2019 at 10:25
  • H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

Does it have to be dresses? There are some gorgeous jumpsuits/play suits out there that are available in sizes from 8 up to 24 and are very flattering and comfortable to wear too. Dresses aren’t for everyone.

• R
    Beginner May 2016
    RomanticPurpleDiamonds24669 ·
    • Hide content

I don't know how far you live from Croydon, or if there's anywhere else in the country that does similar (might take some researching), but I got my bridesmaids dresses from Sexy Her. They can make any design in any of the colours, so you go there (best to make an appointment) and try on as many dress styles as you want. I picked the colour and material type on the basis that the bridesmaids could pick whatever style they wanted to suit them. The dresses are made in China so take a while to come in but this could be a compromise for your situation?

• BigYellowTaxi
    Curious August 2022
    BigYellowTaxi ·
    • Hide content

I tried to get them to look at jumpsuits and they werent interestec in those either. Ive told them i dont really actually care what they wear, as long as theyre happy, and they STILL wont look.

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

I would sit them down and ask them if they still want to be bridesmaids. It’s not for everyone. I hated being one and tried to get out of it but wish I’d pushed harder not to do it.

• P
    Curious April 2020
    pearlycat210 ·
    • Hide content

If you are paying, you pick the dresses - simple.

Perhaps they are unaware of the budget and don't want to be cheeky.

Try going to a bridesmaid dress shop, you pick a colour and then suggest styles.

• S
    Beginner October 2019
    SunnyBrownFlowers91450 ·
    • Hide content

So I opted for those infinity dresses, where they are one size fits all, and they can choose how to style them. They worked great! The 4 of them were all different shapes and sizes... and I actually managed to find them second hand in a lovely red-pink colour. I thought it was a great option Smiley smile

• L
    Savvy August 2021
    LuxuriousGreenHair66000 ·
    • Hide content

Ugh. I have no advice but its nice to know someone's in the same situation. Finding bridesmaids dresses is hard! Im currently working on it but its pretty stressful - it takes ages to search them, especially for two that are completely different sizes!

I have been recommended mixbridal by a friend who got married last year. I think Im going to take the plunge and order one online from there since they make them to measure?

• S
    Beginner August 2021
    SunnyPurpleStationery84612 ·
    • Hide content

This is happening to me! I have 3 bridesmaids and wanting them all in different style dresses but the same colour. We are not having a very traditional wedding so I don’t want bridesmaidy style dresses. I also want them to be comfortable so I told them the budget I’d pay for (if they found a style they liked over the budget they were more than happy to pay them selves) and to go pick a dress. I chased and chased and they hadn’t even started looking. I started to send dresses i has seen which I thought were nice and were suitable but they just said NO to everything! I ended up snapping saying you aren’t given me any feedback or much to work with. They said they thought they were picking the dresses but it started into a bit of a fight when I replied saying ‘well you blooming haven’t picked anything have you!’. I thought I was doing the nice thing by letting them pick the dresses but it ended up being a disaster so it’s now me picking the dresses and they don’t get a choice. Nightmare. Stress I just didn’t need!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics