Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2020

Small budget wedding locations

SunnyCakes87, 12 of August of 2019 at 03:40 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0

Hi,

I have spent weeks looking up venues in Scotland to have a local wedding with minimal travel (or even venues half the country away), and the price for venue hire is more than a small budget wedding abroad (unless you hire a village hall and spend half your time decorating and arranging furniture, then another half day dismantling everything, plus these halls are too big for our group)!!

We have settled on around 30 guests. Hoping to get married sometime in the second half of 2020. I previously priced up a beach wedding in Cyprus by contacting all suppliers and venues myself without a wedding planner, and it came to under £2500 for the ceremony, reception, decorations, flowers, catering, cake, photographer and a week’s holiday! Now we have a young baby, and apart from reduced income limiting our budget, I just struggle to imagine paying more than £2500 for one day’s party. I’m concerned about a 4.5 hour flight to Cyprus plus transfers and time at the airport, just too far for my liking now.

So I am here to ask for help with a new destination in the Mediterranean a short flight away from Scotland. Happy to plan it myself if it’s going to save me money (in Cyprus planners were £800+).
I would like to have a ceremony that’s going to be valid in the UK because I’m not up for a pretend ceremony. All I can come up with are Portugal and Italy (France and Spain have minimal residence requirements, Greek islands are too far away, not keen on Malta). Portugal seems expensive and limited in licensed venues, and I have only passed through Italy but I know it tends to be expensive too. Am I doomed to marry in someone’s back garden in a hailstorm in Scotland?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics