Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

RomanticBrownStationery29719
Dedicated

Sunday ...is it a mistake to not do Saturday

RomanticBrownStationery29719, 8 of July of 2019 at 13:47 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi. This is my first post here and I am looking for some advised.

My partner and I got engaged in May and are now venue hunting. As I am off to afrika for 2 months soon we need to make a decision. I am worried if I wait till October to sort it venues will be already gone.

We are looking to get married 2021 in spring.

We are funding we wedding by ourself so have a 10k budget....

We found a lovely venue that is 2.5k on a Sunday. Saturday is 4.5k and with that totally out of our budget (not including food or drinks).

My H2B IS now worried that if we do Sunday there won't be a real party vibe and people leave early. My family is flying over from Europe so are many of my friends. He feels though a lot of his workmates and friends won't stay till late if they have to take Monday off. My take is that if people care they will come and as we are only 1 hour away from his place of work people could stay the night and still make it for 9 am work start if they leave in the morning.

What is everyone's experience with Sunday wedding? We are having a live band which is a must for us for the celeidh but obviously want a full dance floor till midnight if possible (that's when thr bar licence ends in the venue but as up to 70 people stay there we are planning on house party after ?)

Am I worrying about nothing? I don't want to ruin his day by doing a Sunday wedding and he/we is not getting the party he wants but choosing a cheaper Saturday wedding venue would mean a huge compromise on my side as I love this one (and so does he).

I just love this venue so much and the only day we could do a Saturday would be getting a package in a hotel but that would not be as personal as we would like....

It's a struggle.

Any opinions on Sundays or experiences from your weddings would be appreciated. ♥

5 replies

Latest activity by Alisha.B, 15 of July of 2019 at 11:29
  • L
    Savvy August 2021
    LuxuriousGreenHair66000 ·
    • Hide content

We could not afford a peak time Saturday wedding, so we are having an off-peak Friday wedding instead. Saturday weddings are expensive and we have been to a Friday wedding before. Most people will have to take at least one day off work to attend.

Your budget is quite small - nothing wrong with that but bear in mind that you need a dress, flowers, catering, photographer etc. If you have an off peak wedding, there is a chance that some will give you a reduced rate or be more open to negotiation.

I agree with you that people will make the effort and have the day off - we did for the Friday wedding we attended! I would rather have my wedding somewhere I preferred than on a day that suits everyone - and depending on your guests' jobs, some might not be able to do a Saturday anyway.

I think having a Sunday wedding is fine. To make sure more guests will attend, I would send save the dates out to allow people to get work leave early etc.

It is likely that some guests will leave early, but do bear in mind that even on a Saturday people do not stay the whole time. Even a few people can liven up the dance floor and make a fun late night party. You could also bring your timings forward (dancing begins earlier etc).

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

Does it really matter if people don’t stay late? A wedding can be a long day! As long as they are there for the important bits.

• RomanticBrownStationery29719
    Dedicated
    RomanticBrownStationery29719 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your reply it made me feel a bit better. I split our budget up on a spreadsheet (very detailed made my h2b laugh) and am trying to stick to it, so Sunday it is. As soon as we book we will send out save the dates(made myself so only cost us 10 pounds for 50 including fridge magnet to make sure no one forgets ☺) in hope it makes it easier for guests. I am fortunate that my parents offered to buy my dress so that makes the budget easier and my partners mum will grow flowers for us in her garden so we can make our own centrepieces/ decorations.

Now we just gave to find a free Sunday in spring/ summer.

Thank you for your reply. I did get a bit overwhelmed with the whole wedding thing.

• RomanticBrownStationery29719
    Dedicated
    RomanticBrownStationery29719 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your reply it made me feel a bit better. I split our budget up on a detailed spreadsheet and am trying to stick to it so Sunday it is. As soon as we book we will send out save the dates (made myself including fridge magnet so only £10 for 50) in hope it makes it easier for guests. I am fortunate that my parents offered to buy my dress so that makes the budget easier and my partners mum will grow flowers for us in her garden so we can make our own centrepieces/ decorations.

Now we just have to find a free Sunday in spring/ summer.

This whole wedding thing us a bit overwhelming to be honest. So thanks for your reply it cheered me up a lot.

• R
    Beginner December 2021
    RomanticBlueDiamonds38448 ·
    • Hide content

Having just returned from a wedding yesterday, I can honestly say it was one of the best wedding's I have ever been to. Whilst there was a few people who left early due to not drinking, those who remained ensured it was a party to remember.

I wouldn't worry about it being on a Sunday at all, I think it's the day you create that will bring the atmosphere not the day you hold the wedding!

Good luck Smiley laugh

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

£10k is nowhere near a small budget

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics