Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner

Quick wedding on a tiny budget

MrsCoopz-to-be, 15 of March of 2019 at 15:06 Posted on Planning 0 4

Can I be done?

My filtb has been diagnosed with a terminal illness, and not looking likely that he has a whole lot of time left.

I'm thinking we've got this year with him, so ideally looking at towards the end of the summer for our wedding. We have a very small budget, and the regestry office will suck up practically all of it. Is there ways of doing it on the cheap? I know it won't be huge, but something that all our family can attend maximum of 25 ish for the ceremony.

Thank you for your help

One very frazzled bride to be

4 replies

Latest activity by Alisha.B, 28 of March of 2019 at 13:48
  • H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

Hey, I'm so sorry that you and your fiance are going through this, my thoughts are with you.

You can absolutely do this!

If you get married in a registry office with around that many guests, you're probable looking at around £300-£450 depending on room size and your location. For reception, if you want a party maybe look at hiring a village or sports hall and decorating it yourself? If you aren't fussed about a party type reception, maybe book a meal at a nice restaurant?

Also, check out Groupon - they often have great deals for weddings. Additionally, some of the venue suppliers here on Hitched (and most venues) offer last minute deals to use up dates, so have a look around - if you're flexible on dates, you can probably pick up a great deal!

Good luck, my thoughts are with you. X

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear, sorry for your situation. Before you do anything speak to a couple of charities: Gift of a wedding and Wedding wishing well foundation.

• A
    Beginner July 2019
    Andy_Redwood ·
    • Hide content

Hi there - really sorry to hear this. As those above have said, I'm sure it can be done (there are lots of stories about people doing it on a really tight budget) - my friend will marry this year and is asking people to bring some kind of food to the reception so they won't have to spend thousands on that (it really eats into your budget).

I'd be happy to gift you an invitation video as an alternative to sending out physical invites, if that's something you'd be interested in. Get in touch.

Andy (:

• M
    Beginner
    MrsCoopz-to-be ·
    • Hide content

Thank you both for your replies.

We've mulled things over, and decided that we're gunna do the legal bit with just us and 2 witnesses, for just under £100 instead of a full ceremony in a regestry office for x7 the price, then spend out on the reception and have a celebrant do an informal ceremony. It works out so much cheaper. What we're looking at we can do for roughly £3000, which in the grand scheme of things isn't bad. We now just need to save up as much as we can in the next few months so we can start booking it Smiley smile

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

Its totally doable... wedding start at £125 for just the legal everything else is extra so add as you want

try looking at halls and function rooms instead of big expensive wedding venues, some are beautiful

look for affordable food ideas like buffets, food trucks, afternoon tea etc...

there are lots of beautiful affordable high street dresses or look in the sale at wedding boutiques

pick in season flowers that you local florist already has lots of (it cheaper than specially ordering)

if you can throw a party for that amount then you can have a wedding too... good luck

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics