Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner August 2019

All inclusive wedding v DIY

RomanticOrangeHair37119, 13 of November of 2018 at 13:19 Posted on Planning 0 1

Hi everyone,

We have narrowed our venue choiuce down to two choices - one where it is a blank canvas - we can bring in any caterers we want, could potentially bring our own booze etc. At the other venue, you have to use their caterers, which is about £70pp and look nice but is obviously quite restricting.

The question is, is it worth going with the DIY venue? Does it generally come in cheaper or more expensive with all the different bits? And is it worth the stress?

Thanks,

Robyn

1 replies

Latest activity by SunnyBrownCars82847, 14 of November of 2018 at 10:29
  • E
    Savvy August 2019
    ExpensivePinkCars56269 ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends what you want from your wedding really. I think DIY type weddings are brilliant because you have the freedom and flexibility to create the day you want and sometimes the personal touches really make it special. That said if your restricted on time and not a crafty person or don’t have crafty people around you that can help with decorations etc then it’s obviously more stressful.

The good thing about not having to use set caterers is that you can be creative in the type of food you want to have and probably save yourself a lot of money, £70 a head is a ridiculous amount of money for food and will take a big chunk out your budget depending on your guest count. As for the alcohol if you can use your own and not pay corkage i’d definitely go with that option as you can buy alcohol on offer throughout the year and get some real bargains.

Our venue is letting us do what we want and tbh I don’t think we will end up spending that much on decorating it. It’s got lots of oak beams and fairy lighting anyway so I feel it doesn’t need too much decorating but we are making a lot of bunting and little touches to make it our own.

Good luck with choosing the venue, and I hope that helps a little.

• S
    SunnyBrownCars82847 ·
    • Hide content

Remember as well, you can always get a wedding planner or something to help, and you don't have to do it full on DIY of you don't want to - you can still get help to arrange everything, but it just means you get more options rather than having to go with their caterers etc. I also think looking into corkage is important - some of our potential venues stated a corkage of £15 per bottle! Good luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics