Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner November 2019

Name Change Advice

HJ7, 13 of November of 2018 at 10:29 Posted on Planning 0 2

Fiancé and I are intending to get married in early September 2019, and I intend to take his surname. The problem is that I'll be graduating in mid July 2019 and I would like my degree to display my married name rather than my maiden name as this is the name I will be using professionally and, hopefully, for the majority of my life.

I have contacted my university and they have told me the following:

- The degree will only be issued with the name I have in their student records.

- They will only change my name in the student records if they receive evidence of legal name change, such as a marriage certificate or deed poll.

- This evidence must be received before July 2019.

- The degree cannot be reissued with a different name at a later date.

I'm not really sure what to do from here. It appears to be a lot of paperwork and a fee if I change my name by deed poll in advance but my main concern here is won't the marriage certificate be issued in that name? In which case our marriage certificate would be the marriage of e.g. John Smith and Jane Smith rather than John Smith and Jane Doe. And I would assume this is the name I would have to state during the marriage ceremony as well?

Moving the wedding forward doesn't seem like a very feasible option as we have already moved it forwards by about 8 months from our original planned wedding date. We intend for our wedding to be very small and low-cost already and I fear that by moving it forward any further it would become a complete non-event due to the lack of time to plan anything.

Has anyone got any experience, advice, or just thoughts about the situation? I'm a bit stuck at the moment and I'll take just about anything. Thanks in advance!

2 replies

Latest activity by Nathalie@ButtercupBus_Campervan_Weddings, 16 of November of 2018 at 17:15
  • S
    SunnyBrownCars82847 ·
    • Hide content

I understand your frustration as I am doing the similar thing however I think you need to remember that the wedding certificate is a legal document, and the ceremony is a legal ceremony as is your graduation certificate so you can't just pick which name you'd prefer.

So as you say, either you change your name by deed poll before hand, but it means that both your graduation and wedding certificate and ceremony will have your new name on, or you keep your maiden name on both. I have to show a lot of certificates professionally, and they arel used to having different names and so I will have to show my wedding certificate to prove my maiden name that my certificate will be in.

I am graduating two months after I get married, but still expect my certificate to be in my maiden name.

• BristolBride2812
    Beginner July 2019
    BristolBride2812 ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn’t worry about your diploma being in your maiden name. ****% of women probably also have their diplomas in their maiden name so people will be used to seeing that.

• Nathalie@ButtercupBus_Campervan_Weddings
    Nathalie@ButtercupBus_Campervan_Weddings ·
    • Hide content

I am wondering whether you would consider a double-barrelled name pre- wedding?

You could change you name to (using your example) "Jane Doe-Smith" by depol.

Get your degree certificate against the double-barrelled name.

Then, when you get married, take on just the "Smith" name, effectively losing the "Doe" part.

This way, you still have your degree with your new name, but an acknoweldgement to your maiden name (as double barrelled) - and when you get married, your surnames names are not identical. Yes, still a faff - but a half-way compromise if it troubles you?

My hubby and I went double-barrel as I was reluctant to lose mine and the family history and geography it represents - so my hubby changed his name to double-barrell by depol first, and then when we married, I became double-barrelled. It was not much of a hastle....

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics