Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L

Should we cancel the photographer?

LuxuriousRedCars74115, 6 of November of 2018 at 11:32 Posted on Planning 0 11

My fiancé and I recently had our engagement photos done (they were supposed to be done earlier in the year but I had an accident). We got them back and they were bad; awkward cheesy looking poses, taken from unflattering angles, poorly edited etc. If the wedding photos turn out like those I wouldn’t even want to have them put in an album never mind put them up in the house or give copies to people! It’s probably too late to find another at this point as the wedding is a couple months away. My sister has offered to take some photos for us however as she’s also a bridesmaid I don’t want to expect her to take them all so we’d have to find a second person who is willing. Advice please? We only want basic portraits and group photos; definitely don’t want bridal prep and we aren’t doing any of the usual stuff at the reception so we don’t need/want photos of that either. Advice please?

11 replies

Latest activity by RomanticPinkDecor31906, 17 of January of 2019 at 22:51
  • H
    Beginner May 2019
    HappyGoldCakes14475 ·
    • Hide content

I think if you're really unhappy with them then don't go ahead, your photos are the biggest lasting memory you will have from that day (aside from your own!) so I wouldnt mess with them!

you should be able to find someone else, but it might end up being more expensive - I would suggest looking at the directory of every wedding website you can find and just reach out to as many people as you can.

if you can't find a photographer you could look at photography colleges or amateurs and see if they're free but you won't get the same level of expertise.

also check Groupon. my sister organise her wedding in less than 3 months and got a good deal with a Groupon package.

hope that helps! xxx

• H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the advice above, if you hate them that much, try and find someone else.

However, do check your T's&C's to find out how much money you'll lose if you cancel, and it may be worth a call to Citizen's Advice or Trading Standards to see if you have a case to get back any deposits if their work is below par.

Do you have insurance? If so, maybe give them a call too, to find out if they will pay out for you to change.

Groupon is a great idea to try and get a cheap last minute deal. Also, contact your local photographers and explain the situation - they might be willing to do a last minute deal with you - if they're not booked, it's better to have some income than none! Also, great publicity for them to be able to say they've helped out a distressed bride! Worth a try!

Good luck! X

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

A lot depends on the contract you signed. I assume that you looked at least a few of sample weddings that they had shot before, are the shots you have just received way below what you have seen from them when you booked.

As for booking someone else then it sounds like you are talking January/Feb so it should not be too hard to find a replacement, but make sure that you get to see samples of winter weddings that they have done.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Which area are you in? Bill makes some good points along with the others......You really need to feel confident on your wedding day and not be worrying about the results of the photography. That said, what made you choose the photographer in the first place? Was it the images they showed you??? If so, all might not be so bad as weddings and eshoots are different things.....

hth

Peter

• L
    LuxuriousRedCars74115 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your replies everyone; I’m in the West Midlands. The reason why we chose that photographer was because he was the only one we found who didn’t only offer all day photography (which we don’t want/need). The photos we seen in his portfolio were good. Tbh we originally weren’t going to hire a professional photographer; we only did so as his mum really wanted us to.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

It sounds like that you have wedding worries...totally natural (my daughter is going through similar)....If your togs portfolio is good, I would suggest relaxing a little....its very easy to get over worried.....let the professionals look after your day....relax and trust those you have entrusted to deliver your perfect day.....

Peter

• H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is good advice, however I would still arrange to have an informal chat with your photographer. Point out what you don't like about the photos and ask if he can make suggestions to improve - maybe he can do another short shoot. It's his job to make you feel comfortable and confident in front of the camera.

It may flow more naturally on your wedding day anyway - you'll be focused on getting married not posing for a photographer. Maybe his portfolio is good because he is stronger in a more reportage style than a focused shoot? Do have a chat, you won't come across as rude, and I'm sure your photographer will appreciate the chance to get you the photos you want on your day - he can't do that without feedback.

Good luck! X

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

One thing for peace of mind.....take a couple of images from the website and do a reverse image check on either Google or Tineye.......this will confirm that the signature images on the website are theirs.......If they appear elsewhere on other websites.....then come back here for more advice.....

Peter

• L
    LuxuriousRedCars74115 ·
    • Hide content

Checked the photos they don’t come up in any sites. I’m think we might just cancel but not hire another photographer. The photos we want won’t take any longer than an hour so seems a bit pointless to hire someone and just have them do nothing for a few hours (I don’t want bridal prep photos, we don’t want candids or random pictures of details and aren’t doing any of the traditional stuff people usually have photos taken of either).

• P
    Curious
    pritsticandpompoms ·
    • Hide content

We really nearly skipped on photographer for the reasons you've listed . However, I'm so glad we didn't as even though there were plenty of people who took some lovely shots, the photographer took some great reportage photos which we've loved looking at. It feels like we're oversaturated with photographers so I'm sure you would have time to find a half-decent one who'd be happy to shoot 1/2 day. Lionel at Steal the day photography did ours and he did 1pm-10pm I think because I had a friend who shot the church bit. Good luck with whatever you chose to do.

• L
    LuxuriousRedCars74115 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your reply. Two of my siblings and I live away from our hometown so don’t see our family that often so I guess I could see it as an opportunity to have pictures together. My fiancé also lives away from his hometown but his family aren’t as far away.

• R
    Savvy August 2019
    RomanticPinkDecor31906 ·
    • Hide content

Not sure if this is too late - but - if you are planning to cancel and not get anyone else, maybe you could find a local photo group (on Facebook?) and see if anyone’s interested in building their portfolio by doing a couple of hours for you. You will likely be able to find something mega cheap and even if they’re not 100% at least you’ve not gone with a full package that you don’t want

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics