Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner May 2019

Secretly booked wedding

HappyIvoryHair1461, 29 of October of 2018 at 20:30 Posted on Planning 0

Hi, this is a strange situation but I’m desperate for some advice. We have booked our wedding, but we’re not yet engaged. My partner has booked a holiday for me & my family for this Christmas and planned the engagement for there. Then we found out my dad doesn’t have long to live. So my partner confessed his proposal plans and suggested we book the wedding asap so my dad can make it.

So we’ve booked it for may 2019, only 6 months away! But I’m pretending I’m not aware of the proposal. My dilemma is that I’m concerned close family may book holidays at the same time. How can I tell people to keep this date free without ruining the proposal plans?

• H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad, it's lovely that you've been able to book your wedding for him!

I'm guessing your partner is planning on proposing in front of your family, and that's why he can't just do it now? If not, can't he do the formal proposal now so you can tell people, and then just do whatever romantic gesture he has planned anyway? I mean, if you've both agreed enough to book the wedding, you're basically engaged anyway?

If he's adamant he wants to wait, maybe pretend to plan something else on the same date and give people 'invites' to that? Any big birthdays around then? Or just say you are planning a surprise for your Dad? Then when he proposes, you can tell people the big surprise is your wedding!

Hope this helps, sending you all the best wishes! X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics