Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2019

Civil ceremony help

SecondTimeBlueBride, 8 of August of 2018 at 17:12 Posted on Planning 0 7

Does anyone have any ideas about how many songs or readings you need for a civil ceremony? We have a half an hour slot for our wedding but haven’t had any direction from our town hall as to how many readings etc we will need. I’d be very grateful for any advice anyone can give xxxx

7 replies

Latest activity by SecondTimeBlueBride, 9 of August of 2018 at 20:51
  • Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

The 1/2 hour includes walking in and walking out. a short music intro then bridesmaids one at a time - then you, add to this being couple of mins late which is very easy.

So there you are standing at the front ready to proceed and you are already 10 mins in too the 30 mins.

I have only ever seen a max of 2 readings and mainly its just one if any. Never any songs sung at a civil wedding. Just maybe occasionally someone singing during the signing of the register.

Remember also that the 30 mins includes the signing and then some pictures (by the photographer ) and then let everyone else have a go, a presentation and final congrats from the registrar and a walk out - followed by everyone else.

So by the 30 mins everyone will be out.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

As Bill says. I've never seen singing at a civil ceremony either. Usually 1 or 2 readings but I find many couples have no readings at all.

• H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

I second all the above. A maximum of 2 short readings, and no songs during the actual service.

These have been civil ceremonies at hotel/private venues. Are you getting married at a similar venue or at a registry office? I would imagine that a registry office would be stricter at timekeeping.

If you have readings, get your speakers to time themselves, and give them a maximum of a couple of minutes each.

Regarding songs/music, one, maybe two going in, if you want to enter to different music. You could get this edited down to a verse and chorus perhaps? One or two for the register signing - I'd have 2 ready in case you get a lot of people wanting to take pictures. And one song for walking out to.

Happy planning! X

• S
    Beginner August 2019
    SecondTimeBlueBride ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone, by songs I meant actual songs/music playing not someone singing, sorry for the confusion. My first wedding was in church and we had hymns galore so it’s quite a relief to not have to go through all that choosing again. I’ll pick one reading and an entrance song and something for the signing and leave it at that. So glad it’s such less fuss! Thanks again everyone, I best get searching x

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Remember that no religious aspects allowed no matter how tenuous. A common song I use to demonstrate the idea is Robbie Williams "angels" - you get the idea. But as always its best to run it by your registrar as there are rules but some interpret them differently.

• H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

Don't forget your exit music - you could have some fun with that! My fiance's friends had Celebration and danced out!

An idea for music could be to pick the soundtrack to a film you both like? A wedding I went to on the weekend had the wedding theme from Braveheart for the bride to walk into, and hobbit music from Lord of the Rings for the register signing.

There's so much choice!! Enjoy Smiley smile X

• F
    Beginner November 2018
    Fireworkandfairylightwedding ·
    • Hide content

This is what we got from our registrar in our info/choices pack.

• S
    Beginner August 2019
    SecondTimeBlueBride ·
    • Hide content

Oh my goodness thank you all for the advice, I was thinking more classical music pieces than songs so hopefully we can avoid the “angels” trap altogether. That guidance sheet is amazing I may pinch that! Thank you again so so much x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics