Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner September 2018

Ceremony Only/ Elope?

RomanticPinkDiamonds29309, 8 of July of 2018 at 10:21 Posted on Planning 0 2

My SO and I have decided to get married near his family about a 9 hours drive away and we decided to invite family so approximately 8 guests altogeether. We planned on a legal ceremony in a park which should take about 10 minutes (we'd do it in the courthouse but apparently that's not a thing in Canada) followed by a quick brunch in an Airbnb and a winery tour total cost to us will be about $450. which is all we really want to spend (we want to get married, not have a wedding)

We weren't even planning on invites.

Wellll, like an idiot, I posted our engagement online, and now the "I better be invited" and "I'm totally going to be there, can't wait's" have been pouring in, even after stating we'd probably be eloping or something similar.

So I'm torn between, telling people they're free to come but that it's just a 10 min ceremony, no dinner or party (although they'd be welcome to come on the tour with us ($99)

Or say nothing else, and go ahead with our plans and have a lot of hurt feelings from a few very close friends.

This is my second wedding, and we are both in our thirties.

Thanks for your input.

2 replies

Latest activity by Daisiesandsparkle, 24 of August of 2018 at 12:25
  • H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

Do your thing - if people are real friends they will understand, if they're not, you don't need them in your life anyway!

Maybe organise a night out (or in) with close friends and some wine from the tour when you get back?

But don't pander to them, it's your day, do what makes you happy! x

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

You could just reply "We're eloping but might have a party with friends when we get back!"

• D
    Daisiesandsparkle ·
    • Hide content

I love your wedding plan! I'm having a mare at the moment about mine and reading yours has really cheered me up!

So I also vote stick to your guns. There's a lot of expectation from other people about weddings and you're right, it's about a marriage, and if you want a day to mark or celebrate that then it should be your day done your way xxx

True friends will understand, and like others have said, you can always have a night or meal out to celebrate with friends afterwards xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics