Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner June 2019

Double Barrelled Surnames?

FutureMrsB2019, 29 of June of 2018 at 21:11 Posted on Planning 0 7

I've been looking and found a post from a couple of years on this but I wanted to get a few opinions on this subject. Myself and fiance are getting married next June and have been talking about names. I am not against taking his last name but I am an only child which means my father's name will stop with me. What do people think about having double barrelled names or would you just take your husbands name? OH is happy for me to be a double barrel.

Thanks in advance for the comments.

7 replies

Latest activity by OmRum, 13 of August of 2018 at 15:23
  • C
    Beginner October 2018
    carleyemma ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it matters what anyone else thinks, it's your name! You need to do what makes you happy.

I changed my name by deed poll a few years ago to my mam and stepdad's name and initially planned on double barrelling as i'd chosen my surname, but as the wedding looms closer I think i'm going to change my name to my fiance's so that we can be the same.

• R
    Beginner April 2019
    RomanticBrownCars953 ·
    • Hide content

I'm all for double barrel surnames as I will most likely do the same when I marry next year. In fact I would quite like to keep my own surname however we hope to have kids so that's why I'm leaning towards having both.

If you want to keep your father's name you should ?

• H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

Each to their own. I have a few friends who have either kept their own first name, or gone double-barrelled.

I know of a couple of friends where both partners have gone double-barrelled, so the bride gets to keep her name, but they still have the same surname - I thought this was really cute!

I have a double-barrelled first name, so I think having a double-barrelled surname too would be a bit much! I will be taking my fiance's name, as I want us to have the same family name.

But I totally understand why people would want to keep their own name - it's something I've thought about in a bit more depth since my dad passed - I do feel like I'm letting go a bit more of him when my name goes too. But hey, I'll get over it!

Do what feels right for you.

• L
    LuxuriousRedCars74115 ·
    • Hide content

Do whatever you feel comfortable with. I personally don’t feel comfortable with the idea of dropping my surname and taking up just his at my age (I’m in my mid 30s) so I’m hyphenating; he’s doing the same as he’d prefer us to have the same surname

• L
    LuxuriousRedCars74115 ·
    • Hide content

Do whatever you feel comfortable with. I personally don’t feel comfortable with the idea of dropping my surname and taking up just his at my age (I’m in my mid 30s) so I’m hyphenating; he’s doing the same as he’d prefer us to have the same surname

• H
    Beginner May 2019
    HappyGoldCakes14475 ·
    • Hide content

Did you know when you get married you can change your name to anything you want?! you cold just start your own surname if you wanted to!

personally i have been living for the day when i could get rid of my surname so i can't wait!

you could do a mash up surname- take parts of both like Dawn Porter and Chris O'Dowd. She's now Dawn O'Porter!

like everyone has said, it's whatever suits you best at the end of the day x

• S
    Beginner August 2019
    SecondTimeBlueBride ·
    • Hide content

I will be double barrelling even though it means my surname will become a right mouthful. I have children from my previous marriage and they have my family name so I don’t want to lose that link entirely. Do whatever you like (as everyone else has said) all that matter is that you are comfortable with the name you choose x

• O
    Beginner December 2018
    OmRum ·
    • Hide content

Names can be a difficult issue, as so many people just assume the bride will take her husband's name. This infuriates me, as women still seem expected to have a reason not to change their name (e.g. last of the name, career built around maiden name, etc.) when really just wanting to keep their own name is a perfectly acceptable reason!

We're getting married in four months but still aren't quite decided. Whatever we do, we will both do it. We both love our own names and feel strong connections to them, so the options are just keeping our names as they are or double-barrelling them. I'd like us to share our kids' names though (if we're lucky enough to have them), so double-barrelling is possibly the better option.

However, don't forget that you don't have to change your name right away - you can change it any time! So maybe it is best to wait until after the wedding, when things have settled down again. Then instead of a rushed decision influenced by family members and traditions, you can make your own decision based on how you feel after the excitement of the wedding has ended.

Best of luck to you. X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics