Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner March 2021

Thougts on Bridesman/Man of Honour

RomanticIvoryFlowers29793, 13 of May of 2018 at 16:11 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi

It's a while before the wedding and we are still in the very early planning stages but I just wanted to get some advice/second opinions on what you thought about having bridesmen instead of bridesmaids?

I don't have any sisters or close cousins and neither does my other half, and I certainly wouldn't consider myself to have any female best friends or anyone suitably close that I would want to call bridesmaids.

The first friend I told about our engagement was a guy who I would consider to be a very close friend and I would certainly like him to be a part of the wedding. However, I know that it isn't traditional to have men in bridal parties or possibly as a "Man of Honour" and I know my other half is still on the fence about the idea as we both want it to be quite traditional. He has already chosen his BM who he has known since the age of 2 and has ideas of who he wants as groomsmen which does make me sad that I don't have many options to be Team Bride.

This is something that has been on my mind even before we got engaged, I would hate to have no bridal party on my side and don't just want to pick girls for the sake of picking girls to please the family.

Let me know your thoughts! :-)

10 replies

Latest activity by SunnyPurpleStationery90938, 25 of May of 2018 at 18:11
  • BristolBride2812
    Beginner July 2019
    BristolBride2812 ·
    • Hide content

I think you should surround yourself with the people who make you happy and will support you best. It shouldn’t really matter if they’re guys or girls. I’d say go ahead and ask your “bridesmen” could make for some really fun photos too!

• T
    Beginner July 2018
    tjNdespair ·
    • Hide content

As I am constantly being reminded. The wedding is about the Bride and the Groom. As long as you are both happy that is all that matters. You want him to have who he wants to stand beside him because its what will make him happy and you want him happy. Surely he wants you happy so he will stand beside your decision to have people who make you happy beside you, whether they are male or female. Good luck.

• H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

Do it!!

I've been to a couple of weddings where the bride has had Bride's Men instead/as well as Maids. It's a lovely way to honour men in your life who are particularly close and good friends!

• S
    Beginner August 2019
    SecondTimeBlueBride ·
    • Hide content

No don’t pick people just for the sake of it, I’d definitely ask the men you have in mind. It’s about being with who means most to you x

• E
    Beginner September 2018
    ExpensiveGoldBridesmaid56619 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having three bridesmaids and one bridesdude...

Totally do what makes you feel happy! And I think that means picking the people who mean the most to you and the people you want to be most involved in your day.

• tarahcoonan
    Beginner August 2011
    tarahcoonan ·
    • Hide content

Do what makes you happy! Don't choose people just to make others happy because you'll look back at the photos and not really recognise them or feel that closeness on the day - and you want to feel comfortable on the day as it's stressful. Choose the people who mean the most to you. The wedding is a representation of who you are, not what tradition dictates. I think it's a lovely, special idea and I've seen it lots of times before. I chose two girls I'd know for a year because I thought I should have bridesmaids and I don't know them anymore - I'd much rather look at the photos and see people important to me! x

• K
    Beginner June 2018
    Kellydooey0921 ·
    • Hide content

Hey,

It doesn't matter to have girls or guys involved on the big day. Don't be entangled with this. It's your wedding day, so choose the people who means a lot to you. Take it easy.

• G
    Beginner May 2019
    GinAndBling ·
    • Hide content

I've got a bridesman. He's one of my closest and oldest friends, and I wouldn't feel right not having him there with me. Some people have made a few jokes and little comments but frankly I don't really care- it makes me happy and he's important to me!

• L
    Beginner
    LuxuriousOrangeDecor61808 ·
    • Hide content

Hey, nothing wrong with that! If your best friend is a guy I can't see why you shouldn't let him be your bridesman. It's your day and you deserve to be happy. Even though, I've never heard about bridesmen on weddings before, I agree with you on not picking girls just for the sake of it. Have a fabulous wedding!

• L
    Beginner
    LuxuriousOrangeDecor61808 ·
    • Hide content

Hello, I can't see why you shouldn't have a bridesman on your wedding if your best friend is a guy. I agree that you shouldn't pick girls just for the sake of it. It's your special day and you get to do whatever you want, girl. Have a fantastic wedding!

• S
    Beginner September 2018
    SunnyPurpleStationery90938 ·
    • Hide content

We've got a best woman rather than best man, as she's my fiance's best friend. We're still having quite a traditional wedding and I don't think it matters at all!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics