Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner June 2018

Photographer cancelled wedding in 8 weeks!

LuxuriousOrangeHair771, 27 of April of 2018 at 06:38 Posted on Planning 0 8

So my photographer (through no fault of her own) has cancelled last minute. I managed to find another through bark.

Who said he cad a couple push their wedding back a year and he can do me a £1500 package for £900. My friend who is also getting married next year liked his work too and messaged him after I showed her his profile and showing her how fantastic his work is for her own wedding June 2019 she didn’t mention I recommend her, and he comes back with same story only the 1500 price tag is reduced to £1100.

Am I right in thinking this is suspicious £900 is a lot of money to hand over and I’m dubious having been let down once.

or does it not matter, I liked his work and was happy with the price before. Could it just be coincidence? Is June 2019 enough to warrant a last minute deal too?

8 replies

Latest activity by Dave@LeFunkWeddingBand, 17 of May of 2018 at 11:39
  • H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

Maybe Google to see if you can find any reviews.

It could be that yours is more last minute, hence the bigger discount. I reckon the story about a couple dropping out could just be a selling technique he uses to make people feel like they are getting a bargain!

Maybe have a look at other photographers before you sign the contract/hand the cash over. And definitely don't pay anything without scrutinising the contract!

I reckon you'll be fine, but just do a bit of research first. X

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

A big factor in wedding photography is trust, in my opinion if something someone said turns out to be untrue then all trust is lost also some things should be considered a little more than just a selling technique. Also when using a 3rd party introduction service do as much research on them as the service you are buying from them.

• L
    Beginner June 2018
    LuxuriousOrangeHair771 ·
    • Hide content

I agree about trust, that was my instinct. I did some further asking around and a photographer I found who was booked posted in her network to see who had availability. I’ve got one who came highly recommended and is amazing, not only that but they are doing a similar deal.

photographer has always been a priority for me, but on a budget isn’t easy.

• L
    Beginner June 2018
    LuxuriousOrangeHair771 ·
    • Hide content

What sort of things do you look out for in a contract???

• H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I checked things like cancellation - what are the costs if I cancel, what do they promise to do if they have to cancel.

Also, who has copyright of the photos - will they have a watermark on, are you allowed to put them on Facebook without credits.

Any additional costs - travel, breaks, food (some photographers will bring their own lunch, others will expect you to provide food).

Most of this you'll probably discuss with them, it's just getting it in writing.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Any decent photographer would have a website. An actual, proper website. If they have that and have lots of work online then sure, should be ok.

With regards the discount thing. They might just be pricing themselves high so that they can seem like a steal to you and so they can secure the booking.

Either way, not morally fantastic. If unsure meet the photographer. If they don't have a contract run a mile. Your intuition can cut through most things. Use that.

• L
    LuxuriousYellowStationery71106 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

If you are still in search of a wedding photographer, please feel free to get in touch with Jay from Windsor Bowen. They are friendly and professional and really accommodating. Their website is: www.windsorbowen.com.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I can understand him doing you a deal for 8 weeks time - unless it's a peak date and he's hardly got any bookings? The discount offered to your friend is very odd though. It may be that he's newer to wedding photography than you realise.

• Dave@LeFunkWeddingBand
    Dave@LeFunkWeddingBand ·
    • Hide content

For what it's worth I don't like the way Bark works. I manage a wedding and function band and we are registered with lots of different agencies, e.g. Poptop, Freak, Entertainment Nation, LMM UK, Morris, Encore. I filled out the application for bark and only after that became aware that the way it works is that as a service provider you have to pay Bark to be allowed to get in touch with anyone who has made an enquiry. You are unable to make any contact prior to this payment as the contact details of the client are withheld, so you inevitably never know all the details you really need to quote properly. We're a successful and regularly hired band, but it is still only 1 in around 15 enquiries that ends up being a booking, even when greater details are provided up front.

Via our own website the conversion rate for an enquiry becoming a booking is more like 1 in 3, so this shows how important it is to be able to discuss requirements up front in detail.

I therefore think that Bark's approach may eventually encourage some suppliers to bend the truth regarding what they are offering to get the job and recover their investment. I'm not saying this is Bark's fault, they are totally up front about how it works, but it's not a modus operandi that I would want to use.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics