Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner January 2020

DIY cheese wedding cake

RomanticPurpleDiamonds25398, 18 of February of 2018 at 22:39 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi, is anyone building their own wedding cheese cake? It seems that if I buy my cheeses from the cheese counter at the supermarket I can do it for about £80 instead of well over £100 for a ready made one? My budget is really tight and I want to do this instead of an evening buffet as my venue only allows catered food but I refuse to pay another £200 for sausage rolls and sandwiches so I figure if it's my wedding cake.. it has to be servable! Also doing something similar for the dessert for my meal. I really don't like cake so we are having a 7 tier cake stand with the traditional wedding cake at the top and then layers of desserts as it goes down. The desserts will be served after the meal (so we don't have to pay the caterer for pudding) then the cake will be cut with the usual photos when the evening guests have arrived and served up next to our cheese cake for the buffet.

I'm wondering if I should do the cheese on a cake stand also so that I'm not limited to round slices which are more difficult to get? This would also make it easier to serve as it wouldn't need deconstructed in order for the guests to help themselves.

Also we're getting married on the 2nd of January so will the supermarket supplies be depleted from Christmas? Not sure what to do so any suggestions/advice gratefully welcomed!

6 replies

Latest activity by ExpensivePurpleCars47773, 23 of February of 2018 at 17:40
  • MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

Just cheese for the buffet? Before you commit to this make sure you have no vegans or lactose intolerant people coming. My buffet quote was £675 for 90 people so £200 doesn't seem too bad especially if you'd be spending £85-£100 on cheese, then presumably you'd need lots of bread or biscuits to serve with it.

• R
    Beginner January 2020
    RomanticPurpleDiamonds25398 ·
    • Hide content

It's not so much the £200 it's the fact it's £200 for sausage rolls when I can do something much more special for half the price. Also I've got 1 vegan coming but none of the buffet options are suitable either and I'm not tailoring my entire buffet to suit one person. I don't have a huge budget that I can be blowing hundreds of pounds on a buffet for people who will have already had their dinner.

• R
    Beginner January 2020
    RomanticPurpleDiamonds25398 ·
    • Hide content

Also I didn't ask for an opinion on serving cheese/buffet quotes. I asked if anyone is doing their own cheese cake.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

As your wedding is January it should be a great time of year to get whole cheese rounds just before Christmas and if you have somewhere to store them you should be ok for Jan - but just check the use by dates. I personally never understand the dates because the cheese has been "maturing" for 18 months in a cave so why do I have to eat it within 3 weeks !

Just stack them on top on each other add some garnish of your choice and should be great, here is a couple of wedding cheese cakes for some ideas.

• S
    Beginner April 2018
    shanmia35 ·
    • Hide content

Check your venue allows it. We’re having cupcakes instead of a cakeand we were planning cheesy muffins for those (like my partner) with less of a sweet tooth and it turned out our venue specifies “sweet cake option” as the only non-caterer food allowed so we couldn’t do it.

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm sorry if I offended you with what I intended to be a simple non judgemental opinion with advice that I thought helpful, I shall refrain from future endeavours to help you in this matter, if you can do it for £85 that's pretty cheap. It's your wedding, like I said I was only trying to help.

• E
    Beginner August 2019
    ExpensivePurpleCars47773 ·
    • Hide content

Do you even realise how rude this post is? The other poster was just trying to help you and had some very valid and useful things to say.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics