Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

RomanticPinkDecor30817
Beginner March 2022 Lothian & Borders

Family Spread Out Everywhere!

RomanticPinkDecor30817, 12 of February of 2018 at 17:21 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi everyone!

So my fiance and I have just started planning our wedding and are having some trouble as our families are spread out everywhere! We have family coming from Scotland, Newcastle upon Tyne, Lincolnshire and Yorkshire! Most of these are all close family and so we are struggling because we feel like we should be able to sort accommodation for them all, but unfortunately it looks like if we want to put everyone up it's going to cost us an absolute fortune which we cannot afford! We are now stuck, we don't know whether we would be best just to pay for accommodation for immediate family (parents and siblings) and ask everyone else to find their own accommodation. We ideally just want a small venue as we are just having a small amount of people attending, most of these venues don't provide much accommodation anyways (if any).

If anyone has any advice we would really appreciate it!! Smiley smile

4 replies

Latest activity by SunnyRedCars98276, 23 of February of 2018 at 10:15
  • R
    Beginner April 2018
    RomanticBlueCakes716 ·
    • Hide content

Nobody expects you to pay accommodation for a guest attending a wedding, I wouldn't even offer it. If you feel like you have to, then bridal party only, but seriously, no one would expect this and you are adding on potentially hundreds of pounds to your budget. Just try to source reasonably priced accommodation and send people a list of suggestions.

• V
    Beginner August 2020
    Vickmeister ·
    • Hide content

I agree, it's absolutely not your responsibility to accomodate everyone.

It's a very generous thought, but people expect a certain amount of cost when attending a wedding. They're your family and I'm sure they won't begrudge the cost of a hotel to be with you x

• H
    Beginner October 2018
    HappyBrownDecor18059 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with what the others have said, guests won't expect you to provide accommodation, so don't offer it - it's good to offer a list of suggestions for nearby hotels though. We also have most of our guests coming a long way and there's no way we'd be able to afford to pay for anyone's accommodation. The only exception i would make is if there's someone really important (parents, bridesmaids, etc.) who wouldn't be able to come if you didn't pay for their accommodation. There's a possibility I might have that issue for example since one of my bridesmaids recently became unemployed, but we'll cross that bridge later anyway and if I were to pay it would be a one-off and I probably wouldn't tell anyone else. As for everyone else (aunts, uncles, cousins, other friends, etc.) most of them will be willing and able to pay to come, and if they aren't then oh well, fewer people to cater for!

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

We have lots of people coming from abroad, some of them are staying with us or mutual friends. We also put a note in the invite with lots of hotels in and the price ranges of them to help them out. No one has had a problem with sorting their own accommodation so far. If you do something similar then if there are problems closer family could get in touch and you could work out other options from there.

• S
    Beginner April 2019
    SunnyRedCars98276 ·
    • Hide content

Sometimes you can get hotels to give better deals for the wedding group. Have you had a chat with them? then you can send the details to those places out in the wedding invites :-)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics