Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner October 2017

Anyone else not booking a photographer?

ExpensiveYellowConfetti904, 6 of September of 2017 at 17:15

Posted on Planning 40

Hi! My partner and I have decided not to have a professional photographer. The quotes we were getting were simply astronomical, the ones which weren't left a lot to be desired! We really don't like traditional posed photo's and would be very uncomfortable with the posing and to be honest they go in...

Hi!

My partner and I have decided not to have a professional photographer. The quotes we were getting were simply astronomical, the ones which weren't left a lot to be desired! We really don't like traditional posed photo's and would be very uncomfortable with the posing and to be honest they go in a cupboard after with a nice one on the wall!

I know you pay for quality and service but the majority were kicking a grand for anything that was remotely close to what we would want!

We've decided that we'd prefer to use the money elsewhere for instance the honeymoon and will be asking guests to share their photos on an instagram account and have those instead.

Everyone who I have said this to have recoiled in horror saying I will regret it and we must must must get a professional photogrpaher.

I'm now concerned I should book someone but I'm really worried I'll be paying for something I don't love!

Anyone deciding not to hire a pro? x

40 replies

• S
    Beginner April 2022
    SunnyPinkFlowers83597 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, as an ex wedding photographer I know you would definitely at least regret not get those intimate couple shots during the day. Its not as easy to get these if you're relying on friends and family.

If your photographer budget is low then why not speak to some local photographers and just get quotes for your couple shots? Then ask your guests to share other images from the day. Best of both worlds?

• W
    Beginner June 2020
    Weddingbee123 ·
    • Hide content

I would deffo have somebody take pictures who is not friend or family ... get friends and family taking them too if you want but get somebody separate who knows how to work a camera. I would say that you could Advertise for somebody studying wedding photography or starting out potentially if you are worried about costs? But I would say you will probs regret it. Friends and family should get to enjoy your day as a guest first and then if they get some pictures that’s an extra good luck everything xxx

• T
    TPPhoto ·
    • Hide content

Hi all,

After getting married myself I know how much a decent Wedding Photographer can cost and for some the cost might exceed their total wedding budget. I'm a Photographer looking to move into the Wedding market and as I have no Wedding portfolio to show I need to start by offering my services free of charge.

If you are looking at having your wedding without a Photographer and rely on guests then please let me know. I work in Hampshire, Berkshire and Surrey and can travel. I am very professional and can dress to blend in with your guests, I also have all the usual Pro equipment. I am not looking for any reimbursement for travel expenses and am happy to meet with you and even do a short couples photography session to show you I am capable and my style.

Thanks for reading, if you want to know anything more please get in touch. No matter what it won't cost you anything!

Some images below from a Wedding I took pictures at several years ago.

Tom

• ExpensiveIvoryCakes882
    Beginner August 2024
    ExpensiveIvoryCakes882 ·
    • Hide content
    Were thinking about this.. weve decided a photo booth idea.. which all pics will be on a usb/online link plus print outs.. and book a photo shoot for £350 (including pictures) after the wedding head to the beach in our wedding attire and just have fun 🤷🏼‍♀️..
  • Anna
    Beginner August 2023 Merseyside
    Anna ·
    • Hide content
    Ive decided against photography. The reason being i love realism. I dont want phony staged photos my family are giving me hell over it. Mainly the mother and aunts. So im just buying a camera and having a different family members take photos. Which from my point of view would be amazing and so unstaged. But its like ive started a war. Traditionally photographers werent used instead family members took the photos. So i dont see whats wrong with it
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Your wedding, your choice. But it is worth bearing in mind that photographers vary hugely in their approach, and a lot of them are very good at getting candid, unposed shots. So don't discount a photographer on the basis of one style of photography!

I'm not sure what you mean by 'traditionally' photographers weren't used though. I can't think of a time in the history of photography where it hasn't been common to use a professional photographer at weddings if you were having photographs at all. When cameras were first available, often the only photographs people had taken at all were either studio portraits or wedding groups, both taken by professionals. Looking at family wedding photos from the last 100 years or so, all of them have been taken by professionals. I'm not sure there has ever been a time when the majority of wedding pictures were taken by family members.

• W
    Somerset
    Weekople ·
    • Hide content

Imagine years down the line, reminiscing with your partner and these photos become your personal time machine. Even if it's just a few key moments, a talented photographer can weave a visual narrative that feels more "us" than staged poses.

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon Online ·
    • Hide content

Wow what a thread revival, I suppose it shows I have been here for at least 7 years.Smiley laugh

Time for an update. I am seeing a lot of "styled shoots" - which are basically fake weddings with models dressed up as a bride and groom. Groups of shooters then all take their shots (usually in groups ) and then next they are used on their website if they have one but certainly on social media. With wording such as "love the summer vibe of this couple" making it sound like a real wedding.

Some on Instagram seem to have nothing else but the fake weddings, oh they look fantastic and magazine like but those shots took all afternoon to shoot with professional models.

Also everyone will say they are candid, relaxed, not posed but when it comes to style you need to ask to see whole weddings.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics