Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

What is the going rate for a wedding present?

17 of July of 2016 at 14:34 Posted on Planning 0 15

I'm chief bridesmaid at my friend's wedding and just wondered how much I should be spending on the wedding present?

15 replies

Latest activity by PadBin, 24 of July of 2016 at 21:41
  • Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

Whatever you can afford/feel comfortable with Smiley smile

We usually spend around £50 on Wedding Gifts though Smiley smile

x

• P
    Beginner October 2016
    Pink Sparkle ·
    • Hide content

It really does depend on what u want/are able to spend. And also it doesn't have to be pricey for example something meaningful to the couple but cheaper could mean more than an item that cost lots of money. Also they won't know how much u spend. I think it also depends on how much the wedding had cost you, for example travel, accommodation etc.i went to a wedding as a guest but had to get flight there and pay for accommodation for couple of days so just gave a card however when I was bridesmaid and had to only pay for my accommodation and bride paid for everything else, i think I spent about £50 on a gift.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I also give up to 50 depending n who what where etc. Give what yu can afford I wouldn't want anyone to have struggled for a gift for me. One of my gifts was a pebble engraved with our wedding date from someone who doesn't have a lot of money and I love it.

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends on your relationship with the bride/groom and then how much you can afford.

I would spend around about £25 personally - you can get some really nice thoughtful gifts.

• H
    Beginner April 2017
    HappyGoldDiamonds519 ·
    • Hide content

It depends of you, the price is not so important as the personal gesture. Last year I was chief bridesmaid of my sister and I gave her a set of jewelry with one rose dipped in gold Her wedding theme was royal and she was looking for jewelry so I spent £200 for the whole gift. But the bride was my sister. So, yea, it depends of your relationship with the bride and your budget.

• Justkeepswimming
    Beginner July 2016
    Justkeepswimming ·
    • Hide content

I was never sure on the whole wedding present etiquette. But speaking from someone that just got married, we had anything from just a card up to £100 cheque! And we were grateful for them all no matter how big or small. A couple of the bride & groom party didn't get us anything but I didn't think anything of it because to me their present was everything they had done to help with the wedding. So I really don't think it matters, just spend whatever you can afford. If if was a really close friend I would prob spend £50, maybe more if I found something I thought they would love

• L
    Beginner November 2017
    LuxuriousOrangeFlowers651 ·
    • Hide content

If we aren't that close to the couple we normally do £50 each so £100 total (maybe a bit old fashioned but figure we'd spend that much on a nice meal out) if it's someone closer we go for £75-£100 each depending on exactly how close we are to the couple. Having said that I wouldn't be upset if I received less from the same people I gave that too but as a bridesmaid I would always consider that ordinarily I would have bought a new outfit for the occasion but that my outfit was paid for by the bride so I pay that saving forward in my present!

• L
    Beginner August 2016
    lavenderblue ·
    • Hide content

We're not married yet but have had a few gifts so far. The gifts from those who are coming to our wedding have all been £100 per couple. We gave £100 between the 2 of us at the last wedding we went to, but the one before that we gave £60 between us as we were younger and less established in our careers. I say give what you can comfortably afford.

• K
    Beginner August 2016
    KatJo ·
    • Hide content

If invited to the whole day, I'd give £80 as a couple.

• PadBin
    Rockstar July 2016
    PadBin ·
    • Hide content

I agree with everyone else just spend however much you can afford. Our guests were very generous, ranging from £10-£300 and some just gave a card but I didn't expect gifts so that was fine.

My favourite gifts were from my bridesmaids they didn't spend loads but were very thoughtful. One got a romantic picnic basket and she painted a canvas of a Lego bride and groom (we had a picnic theme and Lego bits at the wedding) another had made me a wonder women apron to wear so I wouldn't spill on my dress and a card which was very pretty and bridal on the front then you open it and it was all superhero inside.

Get them something thoughtful. It doesnt Need to cost lots. You could even make them up alittle hamper with there favourite treats.

• F
    Beginner January 2017
    FinallyGodfrey ·
    • Hide content

Here in the states, it is hard to really know, but it is proper to buy a gift the cost of what the bride and groom are paying per head for their wedding. At my MOHs wedding, since there were two guests attending, she spent about $40 a head, so we spent $80. It could be hard to gauge though.

If you dont know what they are spending, then I would assume about 50 pounds (sorry I dont have a pound symbol on my american laptop)

• PadBin
    Rockstar July 2016
    PadBin ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends on the couple. I don't see a problem with you going off the gift list and getting them something special but some people can be funny with gifts. You no the bride so just go with what you think. if you want to play safe go with the list but only spend what you can. My last bridesmaid couldn't afford a gift in the end but she got us a lovely Disney card and 2 sticker books (from the shop next to my house) one for each of us for the honeymoon, it's not something we'd normally do but it was silly and fun and nice of her to think of us.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics