Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsB88
Beginner August 2015

Thoughts on giving DJ a playlist??

MrsB88, 20 of May of 2015 at 19:07 Posted on Planning 0 16

This was initially something I really wanted to do to ensure all our favourite songs are played.

now I've done the play list (approx 40 songs!) I'm wondering if it's a bad idea and I should just tell the DJ what genres of music we like, and let him do his thing!

What do you think??

16 replies

Latest activity by jasmine376, 27 of May of 2015 at 11:42
  • HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

I am not sure about a strict play list because if the DJ is good, he'll know what gets people up on the floor and you'll want to give him a bit of discretion.

I put together a list of songs to indicate the music we liked and gave it to the DJ. He was fine with that and actively encouraged it.

If you want specific songs, let them know though.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

My H is a DJ and actively encourages playlists. As long as you trust him with the order and understand he may not fit everything in, yeah, it's a good idea.

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Yes we encourage couples to send us songlists and tell us about their favourite tunes.

However just tell your DJ to take a pick through them and they will know what will go down well and what could potentially clear your dancefloor.

Hope that helps.

James x

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Your favourite songs definitely! A whole playlist for the entire night, i'd probably avoid myself as my taste in music would clear the dance floor with our guests ?

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much guys!

• Cupcake26
    Beginner August 2015
    Cupcake26 ·
    • Hide content

We put a "song for the dj" bit on our RSVP and most people filled it in. I've sent the list to the dj and he is going to play them randomly throughout the night. He also has our genre preferences for the rest of the night xXx

• H
    Beginner May 2015
    Heathy2b ·
    • Hide content

We asked for guest song choices to on our rsvp's. Our DJ asked for a list of approx 20 songs, so we pickefd our favourites from the guests choices to give him.

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

A bit like a photographers list, a few must haves but genres of music you like then let them create the list, trust them they are professionals?

• C
    Beginner August 2016
    Chale ·
    • Hide content

When my friend got married, they had a shortish (maybe 20) list of songs that they definitely wanted played, e.g. songs that were meaningful to them, and a longer list of songs that they liked but that didn’t have to be played.

My fiancé keeps telling me he has made a playlist but I haven’t seen it yet. I suspect I will be vetoing one or two songs!

• CornishBride89
    Beginner October 2015
    CornishBride89 ·
    • Hide content

Our DJ just told us to give him a few songs that we definitely want played and then he will pretty much do the rest.

I probably wouldn't have given a strict playlist though because you're paying the DJ to do it for you!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I think it's good to give an idea of what your guests will like so people will get up and dance, then the DJ will read the room from that and make some of their own choices. My H takes it somewhat personally when people don't dance, bless him.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I don't think we're going to do this because what we like is not going to be the same as what our guests like. I'd rather the d.j read the room and take requests. At a friends wedding recently they gave their d.j a playlist and it was all rock songs which was great for us because that's what we love but the dancefloor was dead all night and the atmosphere wasn't great. Even if I don't like the music I want our guests to be happy and have a good time.

• H
    Beginner April 2016
    Holz_27 ·
    • Hide content

We've started a Whatsapp group for songs that we want played during the evening... It's just under a year away, so will review the list, but didn't want to think of things and then forget them by the time it comes to making a list.

We're definitely going to give the DJ a list of songs, not for the whole evening though

• LittleMissPanda
    Beginner October 2015
    LittleMissPanda ·
    • Hide content

Our DJ has asked us for a list of the artists we like, and our favourite songs as well. We've also written down what sort of music suits most of our guests and what to save until later on in the evening Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    mrs_w_to_be ·
    • Hide content

There are certain songs we definitely want to be played on the night so we're giving the DJ a list of about 20 songs to include, but apart from that we are trusting him to do the rest

I did also put on our wedding website a section for people to request songs, but based on some of the responses so far I might skip that idea to be honest!!

• N
    Beginner November 2013
    Nov2013Bride ·
    • Hide content

My husband and I put together the entire play list for our wedding, from start to finish. It did take a fair few hours to get it right, but itwas a lot of fun.

We then hired the lights and sound system, but did not need the DJ as we had done that work ourselves - we just hooked up the ipod and pressed play! A great cost saving.

We made sure to cater for a wide range of tastes, but all within music we liked, and very much leaning to our favourite songs and genres.

It actually went down really well and was a super night, enjoyed by all. ?

• J
    Beginner September 2014
    jasmine376 ·
    • Hide content

I think doing a playlist is a good idea, most DJs encourage it and after all its your special day so you should have a choice in the kind of music that is played, He will probably play some other music along side of it anyway, you know them songs that are supposed to get people up and dancing haha ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics