Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

zoe@hitched
Dedicated February 2016

Proposal stories for a feature on hitched - UPDATED with link!

zoe@hitched, 6 of May of 2015 at 14:30 Posted on Planning 0 59

Hi!

I'm working on a feature for hitched about proposal stories - and I'd love to include yours! If you'd like to be included in the feature could you please tell me how your other half proposed (ideally in 140 characters or less - think tweet style! I can scale them down for you though if you'd prefer).

If you'd like to provide a picture to go alongside your story you're more than welcome to - we love a hand or couple selfie here! And if you'd like your real names (not surnames) included, I can do that too!

You can post your stories here or email them to ***.*****@*******.*****.

Looking forward to getting this feature on the site!

Zoe x

You can view the stories here! /wedding-planning/fun/100-proposal-stories

59 replies

Latest activity by zoe@hitched, 15 of May of 2015 at 11:35
  • zoe@hitched
    Dedicated February 2016
    zoe@hitched ·
    • Hide content

Lovely story Junie - thank you! My mum proposed to my dad (30 years ago!) - love a leap year proposal!

Zoe x

• AdamsToBe
    Beginner May 2016
    AdamsToBe ·
    • Hide content

Weekend in Paris for our anniversary, which culminated in dinner at 58 Tour Eiffel! Afterwards we sat on a bench underneath the Tower and he proposed right there. Bought the ring just before we caught the train home Smiley laugh

• TheFutureMrsKay
    Beginner October 2015
    TheFutureMrsKay ·
    • Hide content

He wrote me little notes, 1 a week for 7 weeks. When we were on holiday, he bought them along too and I has to decrypt the message. It was 'I love you. Will you marry me?'. And then he got the ring out.

• K
    Beginner August 2015
    Kerrypug ·
    • Hide content

He'd arranged to propose to me at a gig where we were watching my favourite band. They got the crowd to stand around us while it happened and filmed it, then made us slow dance while they performed Beauty and the Beast (they do a lot of Disney covers). I ugly cried throughout :-)

Kerry

• Fleur88
    Beginner March 2016
    Fleur88 ·
    • Hide content

My fiancé proposed to me at the finish line of Tough Mudder, as he wanted to show me how he would support me through any obstacle.

• Miss-b
    Beginner August 2016
    Miss-b ·
    • Hide content

Hi Zoe,

Tried to keep it as short as possible! I know it's more than 140 characters though!

Christmas Day 2013, just the two of us and our 2 furry babies (cats) at home. Opening presents mid-morning. The ring was wrapped up as a present in a bigger box to put me off scent! I was suspicious though as he kept asking me to open it, and then I got nervous! OH got down on one knee as I was opening the present, gave me a lovely speech and proposed!! We laugh now about it because at the time he was so nervous he actually said 'Would you marry me?' so I replied 'I would'! I loved it!

Names are Marie and Daniel (Dan for short) don't mind if you use them and very happy for you to use my avatar picture as it has both of us in it.

Hope this helps Smiley smile

Marie x

• zoe@hitched
    Dedicated February 2016
    zoe@hitched ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much for all the amazing stories so far! Keep them coming Smiley smile

Miss-B - can you flash your avatar picture or email it to me - ***.*****@*******.***** as the avatar is too small!

Zoe x

• Lollypolly
    Beginner August 2015
    Lollypolly ·
    • Hide content

I was in late from work because it was parents evening. Went and put my pyjamas on and was laid out on the settee. He came and sat with me and just asked, no ring! We then both got dressed and went shopping for a ring as it was near xmas and the shops were open late. Just perfect for is two!

• MrsG_to_be
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsG_to_be ·
    • Hide content

Came home one insignificant Friday all wet and windswept from bad weather stressed from bad day and horrible commute. Opened front door to path of candles and rose petals which led to OH in his best suit with the ring, flowers and champagne. Dinner cooking in kitchen and table laid out all lovely. Lovely surprise, nice and private just the two of us. Turned out it was two years to the day from our first date but that was just a coincidence.

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    Mrsmalpass ·
    • Hide content

We were on our first holiday in cyprus, paphos. We walked past a beautiful little jewellers and i saw the most beautiful ring, of corse pointed it out to him and said how amazing it was and we carried on walking. The last night of the holiday he took me to watch the sunset by the sea and got down on one knee with the ring of my dreams! Was like a fairytale Smiley smile

• kelly17687
    Beginner May 2016
    kelly17687 ·
    • Hide content

On hol In NYC in December with a Tiffany ring he'd went and bought telling me he was "Christmas shopping" while I was at the hotel getting ready. He carried the ring around for the whole of the Sat night but we ended up out and had far too many drinks ? so he did it the next day. Think he had a slight panic that he could have lost the ring but it was all fine and I was totally surprised!

sorry I know that's more than 140 characters!

• B
    Beginner July 2016
    bananacatdance ·
    • Hide content

My partner and I were on holiday in the New Forest and walking our little puppy around a lake. We came to a clearing and he got down on one knee, looking up at me smiling but couldn't speak. I also couldn't speak but just nodded half smiling half crying! It was beautiful.

• B
    Beginner November 2016
    Boxleby ·
    • Hide content

My fiancé popped the question at the church where my whole family has got married and where we held the funeral for my mum just 2 months before. He knew we wouldn't marry there and he wanted her to be looking over us.

Beth and Andrew.

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

We planned to go to a Safari Park in Scotland, in the morning before we left I said to him I dreamt last night that you were going to propose to me today. He proposed at the Safari Park in amongst the lions as I love big cats. He bought the style of ring I loved too. Best day ever.

• samidolls
    Beginner September 2015
    samidolls ·
    • Hide content

On our shared birthday after 7.5 years together. He wanted to go for a romantic walk. I refused because it was raining so it was the living room floor surrounded by wrapping paper!

• E
    Beginner April 2015
    elemden ·
    • Hide content

We went to Belgium for Cyclocross. The evening he drove me to Bruges (from our nightmare hotel), said he needed a sit down, started rummaging and passed me the box saying 'Just hold this a mo'. I looked, realised what it was and opened it to find a Haribo ring!

The ring just after proposal

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

To summarise mine...

My first ever Mother's Day and I'd hoped for a lie in. I was NOT impressed when I got booted out of bed at 7am by my boyfriend to get our son (who was awake).

However I cheered up slightly to find my little man in a new special outfit!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

* The fantasy *

I woke up to breakfast in bed, surrounded by Kinder eggs, Dr Pepper & lots of little gifts scattered all over the bed- our 2 pugs by my side. I crack open one of the Kinder eggs which has a ring inside. Black diamond ? In walks Kit Harrington (in character, as Jon Snow) who gets down on one knee. I blush and smile modestly. Fully made up and looking perfect just out of bed of course.

* The reality *

There wasn't a proposal, we just had a bit of a chat and made quite a boring adult decision to get married. But use the other story, that one is better!

• K
    Beginner January 2016
    kimster ·
    • Hide content

In Portmeirion last summer - we 'decided' to make a silly video in homage to the 60s show The Prisoner. I was filming when he appeared from around the corner and then disappeared.. because he was down on one knee!

• sarah1976
    Savvy September 2016
    sarah1976 ·
    • Hide content

Well, my proposal was far from romantic.

On a night out to a local working man's club with friends back in 1995!, I won on the bingo! I was really excited as it was over £300 I'd won!

I was still all giddy at the end of the night when we went to the chip shop up the road and I just asked him! Outside the chippy!

The words 'will you marry me' just blurted out of my mouth. He was shocked at first and it took him a few seconds to comprehend what I'd just said, but he said 'yes'.

20 years later and we're still not married, but we've decided to get married on our 25th 'being together' anniversary next year.

This is us, Sarah & Simon. x

• HappyPinkCakes325
    Beginner August 2015
    HappyPinkCakes325 ·
    • Hide content

We was on holiday in Egypt in a lovely hotel. We had just had a lovely dinner and was walking along the seafront at sunset when he asked me! It was beautiful! We are trying to book that same hotel for our honeymoon! We had known each other since 7 years old and now 20 years on we are getting married!

• zoe@hitched
    Dedicated February 2016
    zoe@hitched ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all so much for the amazing stories! Keep them coming Smiley smile

Zoe x

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

We were on holiday in Catalonia sitting in a beautiful courtyard one evening and he said he wished he had a ring. A few days later, we went to a beautiful restaurant, for drinks on the beach, wandered round a local festival celebration and then to our favourite cafe for a sangria nightcap. We sat in the open air courtyard at the back, there were fireworks going off for the celebration (conveniently every time he went to speak - The owner of the cafe thought there was a shoot out and came through wielding a rather large meat cleaver, he was a bit of a character!) and he dropped to one knee and asked with a ring! We announced it the next day with photos on the beach, where the waiters brought us bubbly and a rose for me!

More than 140 characters but it's hard to condense!

• AdamsToBe
    Beginner May 2016
    AdamsToBe ·
    • Hide content

Elemden, that is so cute! I love the Haribo ring, makes me think of 'marrying' my friends on the playground when I was a kid, and trying to resist the temptation of eating the ring for as long as possible Smiley tongue Any chance we could see the real one?

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsFitt2B ·
    • Hide content

My OH proposed to me at the top of the Spinnaker Tower on the glass floor. I hate glass floors, so it was the only way he'd get me on there! I looked up while i was taking my shoes off and he was stood there with the open ring box, we both started crying and I managed to make my way onto the glass floor and I said 'You have to ask!' So he said 'Will you marry me?' and I, of course, said 'Yes!' (For the record, yes I have been on the glass floor. No, I don't know what the view looks like!)

• B
    Beginner May 2016
    Boro_Bex ·
    • Hide content

Aww some lovely stories here! I'm feeling a bit left out as I didn't get a proposal. After years of my nagging OH agreed that it was about time we got married and that we would 'sort it out'! Six months later we finally got round to buying a ring and telling everyone.

• Inspyre
    Beginner August 2016
    Inspyre ·
    • Hide content

He took me on a treasure hunt through Disney DVDs with notes and clues leading to the bedroom where he set out pictures, teddies and candles. There was a song on in the background from a CD he gave me for our first valentines. A fake ring was on one of the teddies, but when I turned around he was down on one knee with the real one!

I tried and failed to keep the characters down!

• zoe@hitched
    Dedicated February 2016
    zoe@hitched ·
    • Hide content

A cheeky little bump as I'd love some more stories! Don't forget you can email them to me too ***.*****@*******.*****

And if you know anyone who's not on hitched who has a great story to tell - send them my way!

Zoe x

• E
    Beginner June 2015
    EXCITEDBRIDE15:) ·
    • Hide content

Will try to keep it short

Christmas Day 2012 - just finished opening eachothers presents- said come upstairs quickly.

Note on Door- You have one more present but I seem to have misplaced it-maybe look in the wardrobe

looked in wardrobe- another note - said Nope not in here try in the cabinet-

looked in the cabinet - was a present wrapped up with note-said do not open yet but your present is too big to fit in here maybe it is in the garden(at this point I thought he had got me a bike!)

looked out in the garden- saw on window frame another note saying- its not actually that big that has to go in the garden but it is quite a big deal so much of a big deal that it has made front page news with arrow pointing down! looked down on window sill.. was the sun newspaper - unfolded it- on the front said Will you marry me? I turned around and there he was- on one knee! - Then I ugly cried while trying to say yes!

• A
    Beginner May 2016
    Arabella16 ·
    • Hide content

I love reading everyones stories, all so lovely and so personal :-).
    No hope of keeping it to the word limit so feel free to crop, but here's ours...
    OH and I have always loved the Disney film Up and have said for years that we would love to go to Angel Falls together. So finally in September after 5 connecting flights from London, a 4 hour wooden canoe ride and an hour trek through the Venezuelan jungle, we arrived at the waterfall viewing point/rock all alone. He told me if I closed my eyes I would be able to feel the spray from the falls... I believed him, and then when I opened my eyes again he was down on one knee with a prop ring and asked me to marry him! I had no clue it was coming at all! We then went for a swim in the pool at the bottom of the falls :-)

Will try and insert a photo of the prop ring at the falls but I'm on my phone so it could come out massive/sideways, sorry!

• M
    Beginner May 2016
    mkw ·
    • Hide content

On holiday in Lapland. He proposed in our hotel room just after we got back from seeing the Northern Lights (he had managed to crash the snow-mobile with me on the back but was still pretty confident he had this one in the bag!).

• Lui
    Beginner October 2015
    Lui ·
    • Hide content

Christmas day 2013, opened our presents early. Sent me to find his mobile in the bedroom which wasn't there, came back, told me I had one more gift, next thing i know he was one knee with the cat looking at him weird.

All i could say is "whats happening" over and over again. All of this while in a fluffy white with pink hearts dressing gown and bedhead.

Must say i was so in shock i drank all our bucks fizz, oops!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics