Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner July 2015

politics and your OH

celticcurl, 3 of March of 2015 at 10:15 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 48

So following on from the religious views thread, and the mention of politics, I thought I'd start this one.

So what are your political views/affiliations and how do they differ from your OH? Does it cause friction?

48 replies

Latest activity by Calella, 6 of April of 2015 at 13:53
  • MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Haha, brave. *sits and hopes SW comes by*

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I don't think I have any and neither does my H. I asked him the other day if he plans to vote and he said yes, when I asked for whom, he wasn't sure. I have only voted once. And yes, I know women fought and died for my right to vote so I should use it. I just never feel moved to vote by any of the current policies/leaders.

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

I'm not just asking for political party affiliations but your 'world view'.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

H and I have heated debates, but not proper arguments about it.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, we have heated debates Smiley smile but they are usually about sexism, homophobia, sizeism or transphobia and how stuff like that affects pop culture. I love discussing things like the role of women in tv and film, and our most recent debate was inspired by a pic going round Facebook that was the lineup poster for Reading/Leeds with only the bands that include a woman left in. (I think it left about eight bands.)

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Ooh, ID, they sound like topics to get your teeth into.

Tbh politics wise the only thing we'd said is we need to try and remember to vote this time just to keep ukip out.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

I really hate talking politics, I hate when people get their backs up and start raising their voices and mouthing off about how our country should be run, as if they have the answers. I hate the role the media has in shaping our opinions. I hate the finger pointing done by people who can't see the whole picture. I hate the glaringly enforced class system politics makes us all slot ourselves in to. I just hate it all.

I definitely vote.

I know the question was about politics and my OH ... we just don't go there.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I don't really have any political views, I don't know enough about it, which is quite bad at my age! think OH is the same. We don't talk about it tbh.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it's possible to not have political views, is it? How do you feel about the NHS? How do you feel about the benefits system? Should we be letting immigrants in to the country? What kind of help should OAP's receive from the country? Your kids syllabus at school? Terrorism? It's all politics.

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

I think you've hit the nail on the head SW. A lot of people confuse politics with party politics, that's why I clarified by asking what is your world view.

I used to be very party political but have not been so for many years. I am however very political in that I'm interested in world (and local) issues. My politics very much define who I am. Always have done always will do.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Fair point. I hate how the country is run but not sure who / what will make it any better at this point.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

H and I pretty much agree on politics which, given our differing views on religion, is probably a good thing!!

I am going to put my grumpy grown up head on though. Get out there and vote!! If you don't know who to vote for, do some research and find out!

you have no right to complain about the NHS, the education system, immigration, recycling or pretty much anything that affects your life unless you can also say, this isn't what I used my vote for.

ok grumps over ?

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This ... except you don't even have to research. A lot of people talked about how our Politics was becoming Americanised when the party leaders did the live televised debates last time, but i think it was a great thing, it bought politics in an accessible way in to our living rooms - it gave us the opportunity to get to know the leaders, see what they thought was important and generally 'warm' to them. For the first time I opened up my mind to not voting for my usual party (I was bought up around politics, I was out shoving leaflets through letter boxes when I was little!) and went with the leader who had me nodding the most. The one I felt I could trust (more than the others, you clearly never trust a politician!)

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

We don't really talk about politics. I vote for my own reasons and don't discuss those with anyone, really. The only thing we have argued about is that for a long time he voted for the same party his parents do, without knowing why. He had no idea what he was voting for or whether the party he voted for agreed with his opinions in any way. That made me so frustrated, I would much prefer it if he didn't vote - which I don't think he will, this time round.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I'm probably a little more vocal about my political affiliations but i don't think OH minds. We tend to agree so that helps. Or I make him agree with me! ?

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I always vote but I have to say that I don't feel like I really know enough about politics to make a fully educated vote.

Each time I feel like I'm voting for the lesser evil (which I probably am) and tend to just listen to the bits here and there I that people I know say about the different parties. I would like to know more about what each party is proposing, and it is entirely my fault for not knowing, but I also feel like they'll say whatever they feel like saying to ger my vote and then backtrack once in power anyway.

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

Totally agree with you Pugsley. I don't know who to vote for anymore. I know who I won't vote for but, as you say, with the other parties it is the lesser ofthe evils. I was a Lib Dem voter prior to the last election but not sure that option is a feasible one now. Totally confused!

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

I still vote but I'm very cynical with it. In terms of party politics, I get annoyed that it's all vote catching to stay in power rather than genuinely trying sort the issues out

My OH is very conservative on some issues, we've had some very heated debates on things like the death penalty. He's more eye for an eye & Whereas I think no one has the right to decide who lives & decides. He calls me a bleeding heart liberal because I believe in the welfare system. He thinks the rich shouldn't be taxed more than anyone else, I don't

You can do tests that help work out your political ideology - it's quite interesting & there are some very morally grey questions that you have to answer.

https://www.politicalcompass.org/test

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Interesting chucklevision. I came out pretty close to Gandhi!

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Not very accurate as I have to admit to not understanding some of the questions fully ... also felt there were some trick questions in there, and a lot of the questions were very leading!

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

Well...that's helpful

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Oh - interesting MY!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Funnily enough, it's what I expected!

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

I always thought I was more left than that - obviously getting more reactionary in my old age! Must work on that?

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I'm pretty similar to everyone else here really:

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

SW, it looks like most of us have similar views to you, maybe you should have married one of us? ?

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

What SW said on page one!

My dad is Iranian. When I was 19 he asked me who I was going to vote for later that day and I said I couldn't be bothered. He RAGED at me for about an hour about what an ungrateful spoilt western child I was, educated me on the state of affairs in Iran (no vote for my female relatives!) and then made me sit on google til I understood politics. And now, a decade later, I'm the same as him. I absolutely DESPISE political apathy!

Me and my OH are equally passionate, and have pretty solid near identical views, which is good and easy. My ex and I were total political opposites and even though we were really compatible in many ways, it drove a HUGE wedge between us! I like that w2b and I have similar core ideas/values.

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

I've redone my political compass test & compared it to uk parties. I don't much about the greens or SDLP so I'm off to read about them.

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh dear God, I'm a green!!!

(Seriously, how did that happen? I rarely discuss politics, but when I do, it usually has something to do with ridiculing the greens!)

I agree with you SW, I just hadn't thought of it that way. I don't understand much of Party Politics (probably why I never knew I was Green) and I understand it even less here where there are far more 'major' parties and a different electoral system. But that said, I do consider myself socially minded and so around election time I always try to educate myself so that I can make my vote the best vote. The rest of the time I steer clear though.

In answer to the OP, H and I are not far off each other in our opinions, it's just that he's way more passionate about it than me so on the political quiz thing he would have a lot of'Strongly' agrees and disagrees where I am far more passive.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

We are quite different. He is a bit of a communist and rarely votes. I always vote but l am a floating voter. Like a lot of people at the moment then none of the main political parties are particularly appealing to me

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

Can't figure out how to post a pic on my phone but I'm slightly southwest of the Greens.

For those who feel they don't know who to vote for, Vote For Policies is a good website to find out which party's policies you agree with.

https://voteforpolicies.org.uk/

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

I decided to get my OH to do the questionnaire to see where he came out on the grid. Interestingly he came out just one grid box above me.

I can remember having a discussion with someone who was saying that OH and I are very different. I agreed we are in lots of ways, but I said at the time what was important was shared values and this has just proved we definitely have that.

What makes it extra interesting for me is that people would generally consider me very political and my OH not so. I guess I'm just more vocal?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics