Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

lc93
Beginner September 2016

How much did you spend on your wedding dress?

lc93, 24 of November of 2014 at 13:04

Posted on Planning 47

Hello all Sat down with H2B to work out our budget for the wedding. Realistically we can't afford for me to spend more than £800 on a dress (with £200 for shoes and veil etc and any alterations the dress may need) Does that sound like a reasonable budget? I have literally no idea how much wedding...

Hello all

Sat down with H2B to work out our budget for the wedding. Realistically we can't afford for me to spend more than £800 on a dress (with £200 for shoes and veil etc and any alterations the dress may need)

Does that sound like a reasonable budget? I have literally no idea how much wedding dresses cost, or the alterations. I'm open to looking at ex-samples if it means I can have the dress I want at a price I can afford.

Any flashes of your dresses would also be gratefully received to give an idea as to the sort of dress you got for your money!

Thanks xx

47 replies

• Charliebob
    Beginner May 2016
    Charliebob ·
    • Hide content

Http://www.fromthismomentbridal.co.uk/

I got my dress from these guys, they are in surrey and I live in sussex. They ship to anyone for £25 and they have some amazing dresses! I originally budgeted up to £1000 if it was the right dress, luckily for me I stumbled across these guys FB page and saw the dress of my dreams. Was originally £1200 and nabbed it for only £199 in the outlet section. Maggie Sottero, Madison. I LOVEEEE it.

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

My budget is £1,000 for two dresses (I'm having a traditional Chinese cheongsam for the evening). I dislike the idea of spending that much on something I'm only going to wear once, but when I started looking around all of the dresses I liked were in that sort of price range. My plan is to ring bridal shops beforehand and check what price range they stock so I don't go anywhere that mainly stocks dresses outside of my budget; try on dresses in a bridal shop (thereby getting the boutique experience which you don't get with outlets/high street) to get an idea of what suits me/find "the one"; and then hopefully find an outlet or website offering "the one" for less.

• RoseArcana
    RoseArcana ·
    • Hide content

My original dress budget was £200 for a china copy dress... Tried the original on in a bridal shop and it didn't suit me. Tried on White Rose R858 and I felt gorgeous in it! Budget raised from £200 to £1,000... Oops! I'm hoping that it will go on sale because I've got time to wait.

£800 is perfectly reasonable if you shop around Smiley smile

• chels1315
    Beginner August 2015
    chels1315 ·
    • Hide content

My dress is £1400 then alterations and accessories. but i couldnt help myself i fell in love

£800 is a good budget as long as you shop around, you will find something you love for that price

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

[View:http://www.alfredsungbridals.com/style.php?sty=6929:550:0]

Mine is £1400 then I have alterations on top but I was quite lucky with my budget. I imagine off the rail you would get a fairly large discount as my friend did for hers. She got veil, tiara and dress for £800 when her dress alone would have cost her £800!

For some reason the back photo comes up huge so iv attached a link instead haha

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    mrs_w_to_be ·
    • Hide content

My dress was a sample at a local wedding shop.. The RRP is over £1000 and I got it for £350!! Couldn't be happier! Here is a pic:

It will need a few alterations and I want to get a belt just to add a bit of detail and sparkle... But overall it should still come in at under £500. My parents bought my dress so I didn't have a budget, but the other 2 dresses I tried on that I loved were £700 and £795, so I really don't think you'll have a problem finding something for that price xx

• K
    Beginner November 2019
    Kitty55555 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I've made un unusual choice. I want to buy brown wedding dress https://www.cathytelle.com/category/wedding-dresses/?filter_color=brown&query_type_color=or . It costs $2,900. I need your advise. What do you think about this dress? Will it not be too shocking for my guests?

Thanks

• S
    Beginner October 2019
    SunnyBrownFlowers91450 ·
    • Hide content

I spent £300 on a second hand Essence of Australia dress from Bridal Reloved - they have several affiliated shops all over the country. I had no alterations - just lost half a stone in advance! Shoes... £10 on eBay, tiara £10 on eBay... made my own veil for maybe £30. Splashed out on swarovski jewellery, and a little red-pink jacket from Phase Eight. Is the thing though - with weddings, there is a lot of second hand stuff out there that has only been worn once or twice.

• L
    Savvy August 2021
    LuxuriousGreenHair66000 ·
    • Hide content

My original budget was £1000, my grandma offered to pay. Doing research I found that most dresses in actual shops were £1200+ in my area and knew I would have to pay the extra for what I wanted, plus my grandma especially was keen to go to an actual shop and watch me try them on. I went for a dress that was £1200 and had veil thrown in for free (as an incentive since I took ages to decide). I have not yet been to alterations or bought other accessories, though I am not planning to buy expensive designer shoes and will probably wear jewelry I already own or borrow from family.

I think that any budget is a good budget. You can make anything work! £800 is definitely enough for an ex-sample or secondhand dress, and some bridal boutiques do carry cheaper brands that are just as good. You may also want to check out charity bridal shops (e.g. Oxfam has a few nationwide and Demelza has one in Canterbury if you are in that area). There are also secondhand dress shops online such as Stillwhite.

I would say to call up shops you like the look of and ask them about their price range. Then you will know as different shops are different. Then you can decide whether to buy a new one from a bridal boutique or somewhere else.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Your wedding, your dress, your choice!

If your family is very traditional, I would suggest warning them in advance that you won't be wearing a white dress, so they don't get upset when they see you walking up the aisle. Also, it would be worth checking with your fiance. Mine originally said he didn't mind what I wore as long as I liked it, but when I asked him what he REALLY wanted, he admitted he'd love to see me in a long white dress, so that's what I'm going to get. But otherwise, go for it!

• G
    Beginner April 2020
    gypsybride ·
    • Hide content

My first wedding which was a big mistake, I spent £3000 on a handmade dress covered in Swarovski. This time Im looking at a £300 ebay dress which I can take into a dressmaker to get altered if need be. Feedback is 100% and dresses are beautiful.

• K
    Savvy December 2020 East Central London
    kentgirl2020 ·
    • Hide content

£1900 including alterations, veil, and a head band Smiley smile

• R
    • Hide content

My maximum budget is £500 so heading off to a place with a large range of white bridesmaid dresses and a big sale department and hope for the best! I'll let you know how I get on.

• R
    • Hide content

Yay! One bridal shop visit and I've bought the dress - £350, so well under budget and apart from taking the hem up, it's not going to need much in the way of alterations. Hugely relieved as I hate shopping and this was the one bit of wedding planning I was really dreading, especially if I had to go to lots of shops.

• S
    Beginner November 2020
    SunnyIvoryBridesmaid86218 ·
    • Hide content

My wife had an appointment with Misha Lakhani (A Pakistani designer) in Karachi and it was one of the best she could ever have. She spent $4500 on her wedding dress and looked stunning in it. Misha Lakhani is one of the famous designer of Pakistan and has a wide range of collection of wedding dresses on her official online store.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics