Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

WelshTotty
Beginner December 2014

Gymnastics - Uneven bars

WelshTotty, 10 of August of 2008 at 19:32 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 10

I've missed something along the way here, either that or I'm going mad.

The Uneven Bars as they're called used to be called the Asymetric Bars didn't they?

10 replies

Latest activity by WelshTotty, 12 of August of 2008 at 10:10
  • voddy vixen
    voddy vixen ·
    • Hide content

Yes, I think you're right.

Is this what they call dumbing down? ?

• WelshTotty
    Beginner December 2014
    WelshTotty ·
    • Hide content

Well I was watching the gymnastics and they said 'and here is goglapovanova* on the uneven bars'

I said 'eh?'

Uneven? uneven? just doesnt sound right!

*not a real name

• voddy vixen
    voddy vixen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No, it doesn't sound right at all. How odd that they've changed it. I mean, I know they are uneven, but...

• WelshTotty
    Beginner December 2014
    WelshTotty ·
    • Hide content

They are uneven, but theyre much more asymetrical then uneven surely!? lol

• A
    Beginner
    aliza ·
    • Hide content

The name has always been asymmetric bars in the UK. They started to be known as the uneven bars in the US, which has gradually crept over here. Definitely dumbing down!

• WelshTotty
    Beginner December 2014
    WelshTotty ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for that, I was wondering if I had imagined it!

• KJX
    Beginner August 2005
    KJX ·
    • Hide content

I'm glad it's not just me that has issues with this - the KJX family had to endure a 10 minute rant at the tv from me on the subject.

What next? The parallell bars becoming the 'side by side bars'?

• WelshTotty
    Beginner December 2014
    WelshTotty ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We may laugh but it could be the case!

Another question to anyone who has an idea of the answer.... The Asymmetric bars... are they further apart now than they used to be? I ask as watching a 1970s clip of Olga on them (and she was little) she managed to be holding on to the tallest one and wrapped her waist over the shorter one, looking at the bars as they are now, it seems that the gymnasts are further away from the bottom one when on the taller one and they wouldnt be able to do the same move.

Gah Im thinking about this too much!

• O
    Beginner
    Oh Zippy ·
    • Hide content

PMSL at 'uneven bars'

[wanders off shaking head sadly]

• KJX
    Beginner August 2005
    KJX ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You're right according to the font of knowledge that is Wikipedia.

"The uneven bars apparatus originally consisted of men's parallel bars set to different heights. Consequently, the bars were very close together, and gymnasts could transition from one to the other with little difficulty. Routines of the early 1950s chiefly consisted of simple circles, kips, and static balance elements and holds. In the late 1950s the trend shifted toward fluid motion, and gymnasts began to perform routines comprised of more difficult circles, kips, beats (bouncing the body off the low bar while hanging from the high bar), wraps (wrapping the body around the low bar while hanging from the high bar) and transitions. Release moves also began to come into play, although they were almost entirely limited to transitions between the low and high bars.

In the late 1960s/early 1970s, companies began manufacturing uneven bars as a separate specific apparatus. The design was changed slightly to allow the bars to be adjustable, with tension cables that held the apparatus to the floor. As a result of this change, coaches could set the bars further apart. Additionally, the circumference of the bars themselves decreased, allowing gymnasts to grasp and swing from them with greater ease.

By the mid 1980s, routines had become so based on swing and release moves that the bars were moved even further apart. The distance between bars increased even more as gymnasts developed difficult transition elements that required space, such as the Pak salto.

Of all the WAG apparatus, uneven bars is probably the one that has seen the most radical changes. Most elements from 1950s and 60s bars routines, such as beats, the Hecht dismount and the Radolcha somersault, are now completely obsolete; others, such as static holds and the Korbut Flip, are not permitted under the current Code of Points."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymmetric_bars

• WelshTotty
    Beginner December 2014
    WelshTotty ·
    • Hide content

Oooh thanks for that, So Im not imagining that either then! I think I need to get out more lol! Interesting reading though.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics